MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to start planning the Spring roadtrip!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Competitive caching? Reply with quote

Early Starts wrote:
Sounds fantastic. I sure want to go.... If I don't freeze to death this winter taking too long to find a cache in some park. Why did they need to tone down the competitive caching? That sounds like the best part to me.

Well, for several reasons from my bad memory...

1. Except the top 10 people in the difficult course the cachers were basically newbies or uninterested in caching like their setup demanded.

2. The terrain was ROUGH. It was up, down, around. JT was absolutely beat after the first day and relinquished his spot to me for Sunday. I was completely toasted Sunday and have great respect for towlebooth for successfully completing both days.

3. The "caches" were really just orienteering tags with coords and punches on them. They weren't exactly the easiest things to find. I would guess that people assumed we were looking for regulars or "small" caches. I really think that the metro's penchant for micros helped our team do as well as we did.

4. Because people were SO beat the team competition wasn't exactly as popular as it should/could have been. It was a bit disappointing not to be able to compete fully against the others there because everyone was SO exhausted from the morning events.

5. The MOGEO took *A LOT* of time to hide a TON of regular caches in the park for people to log. These were basically all ammo cans in great parts of the park. You just didn't have a lot of time to search for these because of the full schedule of activities.

Personally, I thought it was acceptable for an "invitational". I wasn't expecting something easy. I certainly wasn't complaining but I guess I understand other's point but they should have been like Moe and just went down to enjoy the weekend w/o competing. That's IMHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: