MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ammo boxes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonsom
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Ammo boxes Reply with quote

Sunday I was at Fleet Farm and noticed they have ammo boxes on sale through 24-December, the smaller 30 cal. boxes (10 x 3.5 x 6.5 inches) are only $2.99, that is not that much more than I paid for some new tupperware containers that I bought for cache containers. The next size up is $6.99 and then they have real big ones for $9.99 each.
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Ammo Boxes Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Jonsom! I live by a Fleet Farm and would love to start using ammo boxes, I just never knew where to get them
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a dozen smalls @ 2.99 and four @ 6.99

They were really picked over.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the end of the world as we know it!!!

I just placed a cache today with a (gasp) ammo box!
Scary, I know.......... I will also be using one to replace "Stairway"

But I still LOVE Tupperware caches best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the deal with painting them brown? Is that for Ramsey? A suggestion for State Patrks? I have camo colors and I want to start painting mine. What's up ?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingboreas wrote:
So what's the deal with painting them brown? Is that for Ramsey? A suggestion for State Patrks? I have camo colors and I want to start painting mine. What's up ?

This was only speculation on John M's part that the MN DNR may be more comfortable with geocaching in the state parks if there was a standard cache container. Several options were discussed, one of which was a "non-military" colored ammo box. None of this is set in stone at this point.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think painting them is a great idea, as well as putting on one of those "Official Geocache" stickers (but those stickers don't seem to do well when it gets too cold)--it makes the box look more benign, you can make it match the surroundings better, and the neighbors tend to leave you alone when they see you painting ammo cans in your driveway.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Moe stated, this was just an idea that John had based on his experience working with the DNR on other issues in the past. The idea is that a standard-shaped and standard-colored, durable, waterproof container that is (once found) easily identified as a geocache (via the official stickers) would be easier for the parks to accept. Brown was a color that came up as something that would blend into the environment but which is not military olive drab and thereby not as ammo-looking.

This is just an idea at this point that John will bring up with the DNR if he has an opportunity.
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this. I know there is discussion about a standard container. It'd have to be something that could be tied down too. I'd use twine to secure a cache.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lakeville Fleet Farm is having another sale (through 4/22) on .50 cal ammo boxes. $3.99/ea. They had about 40 and I bought five:

Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what do you say to the friendly officer that inquires about your back seat parafinalia? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Wicket wrote:
And what do you say to the friendly officer that inquires about your back seat parafinalia? Rolling Eyes

I got pulled over that morning for being stupid... I figured I was safe with the "ticket karma" for a while Wink
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip SB, I'll haveta see if there's any decent ones at the oakdale Fleet Farm
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Mn state caches- Reply with quote

They sell other things at state parks- t-shirts, etc. Maybe they could come up with their own MN-DNR state park cache boxes and sell them at the state park offices- like you would pick one up when your got your permit- or show the permit at the park office and they would give you an official MN state park cache container- oops- I mean they probably would sell you one- Smile
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit giving the state parks ideas for parting my money from me.
I give them lots already, and can find my own ammo cans. Confused

I know where some are hiden in woods. Laughing
Just kiding. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: