MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solstice...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Solstice... Reply with quote

This is a HAPPY DAY of the year for me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . From now on the days will be getting longer - more daylight hours!!!! Even though we won't see the results for awhile - psychologically it is an upper!!!!!
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I too enjoy the fact that very soon, the days will be getting longer. Actually, here at 45 degrees north latitude, the sunrises will not start getting earlier until January 5th, but as of 12/22/04, the sunsets will start getting later by about 1-2 minutes each day.

Here is a link to the U.S. Naval Observatory's daily sunrise/sunset data:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

Some fun facts:

"Solstice" is a Latin term which literally translates as "standing-still-Sun". It appears that the Sun follows the same path across the sky for the next couple of days, neither getting higher nor lower in our sky; the Sun is now highest over the Tropic of Capricorn, approx. 23.27 S. latitude.

The Earth is actually closer to the Sun in January than in July; 91.5 million miles in January and 95 million miles in July. This isn't enough to make a difference in our climate though.

Here is an illustrated explanation for why we experience seasons:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fsd/astro/season.htm
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

Sunrises stay the same- but in a week we will have 6 more minutes of daylight at the end of each day- When I was working- my next happy day would be when I could drive to work without my lights on in the morning- but in retirement it doesn't matter- I guess I look for little happiness makers in my life- and those are 2- BUT I DREAD the solstice in June- when just before we get to the height of summer, the nights start getting shorter- bummer-
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple that with DST in April, and I'll be able to get out caching after work again Smile Still it's good to know that the days will start getting longer.
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Winter Solstice Party. Reply with quote

A friend of mine never has a "Christmas Party". She has a Winter Solstice party. It's a nice get together at the holidays, without the stress of the holiday. I always find it refreshing. Just bring your favorite bottle and plan on a good time.

Shane

P.S. It's easy to remember my wifes birthday. It's on the Summer Solstice! Laughing
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, thank you, green. Smile

We just passed another marker in the solar year. Last Sunday was the vernal equinox... in other words, spring has sprung. The Sun is currently as high as it was last September 19th.

Spring is my favorite season by far!
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*green* wrote:
Say, think you can send me the recipe for the pasta salad you brought to The Re-Hash Bash? That was good $%!*, Maynard! Very Happy

Green: I'll send you a private message containing the recipe. Glad you liked it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: