MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel Bug Cleanup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

171 Archived Caches; 7 trackables marked missing
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious why it makes sense that bugs get lost at events.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 archived caches, one trackable marked "missing." I wish the ratio were that good for our owned TBs. Just checked that this morning....11 released, 10 missing. Sad
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:

Someone took it, didn't log it, and lost it. It was last seen at the event, now it's lost.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that unfortunate sequence occurs but the implication was it was more common at events. That was the part that seemed odd to me.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
I get that unfortunate sequence occurs but the implication was it was more common at events. That was the part that seemed odd to me.

I've held several events. Eventually you catch on.. Wink
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to bring our coins and bugs to share at events....until. Our personal DeLorme finisher coin and one I earned playing a game at hog wild..both had our caching name on them....disappeared. Thank goodness the person who grabbed them realized her mistake, emailed us right away and made arrangements to get them back to us.

After that, Trekkin' prefers to leave them behind and/or share face to face.
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
schmittfamily wrote:

Someone took it, didn't log it, and lost it. It was last seen at the event, now it's lost.

You host an event, everyone leaves, and there's a pile of trackables left on a table - and on the floor, and on the chairs. Even a waitress says "Hey, what's this?" It's a good thing I stuck around and cleaned up, or else a lot of TBs would be left behind.

My favorite was when someone dropped a TB in the bucket at the event, I took physical possession of it, and was going to wait until they officially "dropped it" as part of their log. But instead, they continued to log it as visiting caches for two weeks later. I eventually "grabbed" it from them, since I now had the TB.

One of my TBs went missing with the same thing; it was logged for about 6 months visiting several hundred caches, when the holder eventually noticed it was physically missing - lost at a CITO event six months earlier! Grrrrrrrrr....
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:

You host an event, everyone leaves, and there's a pile of trackables left on a table - and on the floor, and on the chairs. Even a waitress says "Hey, what's this?" It's a good thing I stuck around and cleaned up, or else a lot of TBs would be left behind.

I never thought about it this way before. I always thought an event was the safest place to drop TBs because you know they will get into the hands of other cachers rather than a newbie finding it in a cache and not knowing what to do with it. Hmmm, maybe that isn't the case after all...
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I host events I always try to have a basket so it was kind of an official place for people to drop and pick up bugs. I would take with me any that were left. This seemed to be a good plan as I always checked what bugs were left in inventory before archiving the event. If there were any left in there I would send an announcement out to everyone to check for the missing bug especially if they remembered picking it up. Quite often I left events with no bugs left in the basket for me to take. I don't know the results of whether those I posted about being left were indeed found. At that point I felt I had done my fair duty.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found large TB's in micro caches. Actually, that isn't quite correct. I've found the TB's jammed in the hide with the micro sitting on top of them.

As for TB's and events, I try not to throw my TB's in the basket. I give them to specific people with the hope they will log them. I've had good luck with TB's that I've brought to events since I've done that.

I've also started re-issuing TBs that I own that have been missing for several years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: