MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did you get that name?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old topic, but when I met up with some of the Cachers, I asked this question.
I try to use my name online, but that is always taken.
I tried to use my Ham Radio Callsign (WØNKA) but THAT was taken (on gc.com).
Being the "Weird Al" Yankovic fan that I am, I chose TwentySeven. Al likes it, "Because it's a funny number."
There is also a website that claims there is a 27 conspiracy. I take it all as fun. But I have noticed the number 27 come up more often. Wink I type the word out because some forums have a 3 character or more limit.

But call me Shane. Thanks
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoulda taken 42. Douglas Adams, funny guy.

But I'm sure 42, and every variation of 42, has already been taken.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Wayfarin Stranger.
I got my name mainly due to the "CB" radio. Back in the late 80's (I think it was just after high school. In the fall of '88 ). I had a '85 Chevy S-10 Blazer that had a CB in it when I bought it. A couple of friends already had CB's in their truck at that time also. Since I had been so eager to get out of mom and dad's house and on my own. That's how the eagle part of my name came about. After being out of high school for about 4 years and still being single my friends started adding the "Lone" part to my CB handle. I was then called "loneeagle" on the CB.

When I found gc.com that name had already been used by someone, so being I was an avid NASCAR fan by that time, (I hadn't had my blazer with the CB since '97) and I was a BIG Jeff Gordon fan. I added the _24 (his car #) to the tail of my old CB handle.
That's how I became loneeagle_24.
I know it's not as interesting as some of yours, but it works for me.

p.s. By the way. I am still single, and probably will remain that way.
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Resurrected topic Reply with quote

I was just cruisin' the board this morning (hadn't been here in a while) I thought I'd chime in my boring story:

"drat19" is just my first initial ("D"), first 3 letters of my last name ("Rat") and my birthday day-of-the-month ("19"). Although most people pronounce my handle as the single syllable "drat", now that you know "the rest of the story", you can correctly pronounce it as "Dee-Rat".

Like "S4xton", chances are if you find any "drat19" references elsewhere on the 'Net, it's probably me.

-Dave R. (still hopefully the Twin Cities' favorite guest cacher!) Smile
MN Lost Boy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: My Handle....a long story... Reply with quote

Very Happy 1978 - NDSURFC HISTORY - 1999 Very Happy

“Even God cannot change the past” --Agathon

We begin our story, an old tale if you will, as Ruggers have done over the decades, it has been told over and over until the remembered deeds take on the shape of myths. Hopefully we will add a detail you have not heard before. The year was 1978, Jimmy Carter was President, the NDSU Bison Football team dominated the NAIA, the Swim Team was taking it’s last breath and Dick Waskey a young swimmer / someday-may-be Architect just blew in from the University of Minnesota Duluth. His beloved trees, cliffs (even slight inclines) and endless lakes (except in the spring) were gone. The NDSU swim team was in bad shape and not a worth while alternative in sight. Rock-Climbing, fishing, hunting and now swimming was soon to be distant memories. After playing only 3 games of Rugby in Duluth the game was hardly a memory but it was in his blood (played the first game he ever saw). The stage was set; the actors were getting in place and-

"Truth is with the victor--who, as you know, also controls the historians."
-Rolf Hochhuth

A bunch of us were housed in the Graver Inn (Downtown Fargo). It was a sorry place the University purchased to handle student overflow and hookers still came by at night not realizing it was all students. We had an Intramural football team and after the first game we came back to the Inn in pretty rough shape. I said to them “If we’re going to get that beat up, we should start a Rugby team and have a lot more fun doing it.
Trying to explain the virtues of Rugby was an expository challenge. As it was then and remains today, Rugby is so arcane that it has its own vocabulary, opaque to outsiders. The finer points of the game were touted as well as rucks, mauls and scrums. The potential for fame and glory was painfully obvious to everyone so travel was spoken highly of. We were realists and we knew the difficulties of starting a team, but the risk was not divorced from the joyful pursuit of our new adventure and the popular bumper sticker ideology prevailed “RUGBY BECAUSE”. We were practicing later that week and we never played football again. Two weeks later we played our first game against UND (56 - 0) and the second against the Minneapolis Fighting Irish Banshees (54 - 0). It was a good thing we never played the second half against the Banshees...we were sucking hind tit as they say on the Pig farms of North Dakota. They decided to give us a coaching clinic of sorts. It seems our founder / Coach had only played 3 games in Duluth (all as a wing forward) and didn’t quite grasp the offensive aspect of the game, our defense was also weak. They explained that all 15 men never, never go into the rucks all at once (win-lose situation). Hey! We were learning the finer points of the game. With a combined total of 3 games played between us all, we had to be the most inexperienced team ever to play Rugby on earth. We played 5 games that season and never scored a point but the team had a lot to offer new recruits and our membership swelled. We always emphasized the travel opportunities; the Southern trips and of course up North to Winnipeg which was called a foreign country to the farm boys.

"The richness of life lies in memories we have forgotten. " --Cesare Pavese

[i]Every able-bodied person was a potential recruit. We had guys that were 100 pounds ringing wet and some big boys that really hadn’t run since maybe junior high. We didn’t care, we needed dues. One of our founding members “Cute Rod” was a half way decent runner but not very aggressive and pretty quiet. It soon became apparent why he played. After away games he would slip away to the nearest computer center and check out the equipment. He would stay there as long as we were in town. We didn’t care he paid his dues and if you practiced you played. Rod eventually scored a try, graduated, moved to Colorado and I ran into him years later, he was running marathons and making big bucks in somebody’s systems department....

My roommate (Tim Podien) was a rising star baseball player for SU. We talked and talked trying to get him to practice. He had wanted to catch for a college baseball team since he was a little kid but when he started playing ball with us, the baseball coach gave him the ultimatum. Either Rugby or Baseball. He skipped a Saturday baseball practice to play his first match for us and never looked back. Tim went on to play for the Midwest select side and could have gone farther under different circumstances...(money, time, an extra knee).
One time Tim Podien read about drop kicks the night before a game against Hutchenson. He practiced a few before the game and then later as 5-6 guys converged on him for a tackle during the game, he shuffled right then moved quickly left and stopped looked at the 5-6 guys, looked at the goals, focused and dropped the ball and kicked, he scored. I have never seen one as perfect since then...it was incredible, Tim was amazing, the perfect drop kick, no rushing, calm..... After he transferred to the U of M he was a foundation on their team and later played and excelled for the Banshees.

[i]"We are forlorn like children, and experienced like old men, we are crude and sorrowful and superficial- I believe we are lost."
James Garbarino- "Lost Boys" 1999
"Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them."
(Few know that Jim was writing in response to his son deciding to play rugby)

Winter and spring came and I had traveled to Minneapolis for a Union meeting / scheduling meeting. I talked to a lot of people, picked up some coaching tips and came home with a schedule. I learned early that it’s hard to get teams to travel to Fargo but several wanted to see us be successful and came up to play / coach us. The union even sent referees all the way up from Minneapolis to ref our games. Some teams could tell we were hurting and would give us pointers while we were playing them and our game improved quickly. We played the University of North Dakota quite often (6 times a year) since they were close (90 miles) and it was good for Rugby in North Dakota that players could transfer schools and a team would carry on.

" R u g b y . . . t h e o n l y g a m e o u r m o t h e r s l e t u s p l a y ! "
The turning point for the club came next when we recruited three experienced players. We met John Dobmier one night almost passed out in a bar. He claimed to have played Rugby in the Navy and while he couldn’t walk or talk very well??? he convinced us that we could use a hooker like him. If I remember correctly he even pulled his pants down right there in the bar and showed us an old rugby injury. We now had two members with some kind of experience and the team had a half a season behind them and was enthusiastic about playing. A few weeks later we had another player (Joe Cartwright) transfer from UND. Broadway Joe was fast, had a lot of moves and we now had a back coach. No one would ever score over 30 points against us again, we were rolling. Next was Chip Glass, he was a great full back from UND and helped keep the scores in reason until he screwed up his knees. One night I called him to talk about a game and he answered the phone, greeted me and then with a loud augh.....dropped the phone. I called back and there was no answer, I thought something happened to him and I called the police. They came out in mass, did the bullhorn / spot light thing from his driveway and the street. It turns out he was just sleeping and I was a little embarrassed.

After that first year, Warren Erickson (Full back turned Hooker) and I worked on the NDSU pig farm for the summer (this may have subconsciously led me to play for the Saint Paul Jazz Pigs during the next few years). We literally smelled like crap all the time and had no social life so we decided to spend our time and money and go to Chicago for a Midwest Rugby Football Union Coaching Clinic. We drove forever, Warren slept in the trunk that night and we finally found the pitch. We were very impressed with the guys with the funny Wales accents that seemed to know a different game than we had been playing... The intensity of there talks on “Ruck & Mauls” compelled us to come home and carry that part of the game to a higher level. We practiced so many scrums in Chicago I thought I’d never be able to drive home. Line outs, Scrums and more lineouts. We were in an Olympic development type program and were seriously out classed but the exposure really helped us go back to Fargo and get the team off to a good start our second year. I had by now developed a vision of sorts and with only a flyer or two Rugby would be in Fargo to stay. We started out the first year with 200 points to 0 and who would have quested in 4 years it would be rare that we were ever beaten...or even scored upon (‘81 season).

"Now this is the Law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky; and the Wolf that keeps it may prosper, but the Wolf that breaks it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back... For the Strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the Strength of the Wolf is the Pack." - Rudyard Kipling

The first 15 and their substitutes (This may even be correct)-

The Pack-
Prop Hal Ensrud
Prop Bill Klomstad
Hooker Phil Sheffield John Dobmeir
2nd Row Marvin Nelson
2nd Row Jim Sharp
Wing Forward Kieran Kluben Eric Klubben
Wing Forward Dick Waskey
8 Man Tim Podien Dick Waskey
The Backs (Pack Wanna Bees)-
Scrum Half Dick Rentfrow Dean"Harvey" Dalzel
Fly Half Mike Diubinski
Wing Charlie Servick Greg Reck
Wing Brad Hall
IS Center Mick Heusinkveld Jerry Storhaug
OS Center "Cute" Rod Charlie Whittlesy
Full Back Warren Erickson

I Coached and Captained the first year. Tim Podien and I Captained the second season with Charlie Whittlesy filling in sometimes. I coached the forwards and the backs for the first few months then Whittlesy took over the backs.

During the early fall of 1979 we decided to start a club across the river in Moorhead Minnesota. Several of our players went to Moorhead State and a few to Concordia. We recruited a Phy-ed major from Moorhead to actually be the front man and publicized an organizational meeting. 10 -15 people showed up and we were in business. We started out with them coming over to Fargo for practice and we joined them a few times. John Dobmier and I coached the forwards and a Chip Glass & Charlie Whittlesy coached the backs. They received funding from the university bought uniforms and played a few games that fall but when spring came we lost contact and the club never started up again.

In retrospect it was a good idea but we forced it. The leaders of our club had enough just keeping our growing club under control and couldn’t put in enough time to do a new club justice.

Another venture we had that was very successful was an all campus sevens tournament. In 1980 we had enough players to field a strong “A” side but the second side was always short. We decided to hold an all campus sevens tournament to raise money for the club, publicize and market rugby to everyone and recruit 5 new players to fill out our “B” side. We named the tournament SNAFU after a Canadian tournament and it was more successful that our wildest dreams.

"In our country, true teams rarely exist . . . social barriers and personal ambitions have reduced athletes to dissolute cliques or individuals thrown together for mutual profit . . . Yet these rugby players. with their muddied, cracked bodies, are struggling to hold onto a sense of humanity that we in America have lost and are unlikely to regain. The game may only be to move a ball forward on a dirt field, but the task can be accomplished with an unshackled joy and its memories will be a permanent delight. The women and men who play on that rugby field are more alive than too many of us will ever be. The foolish emptiness we think we perceive in their existence is only our own." -Victor Cahn-
We started by writing a series of press releases every week telling the campus about the club, practices and games. We then had several feature articles written about the club and rugby in general. In the mean time we started printing flyers and selected 12 coaches from the club. Each coach had to approach 1 campus group (Dorms. Departments, Frat houses, Etc... and prime the pump so to speak. They went out and explained the tournament, talked the game up and left them with a flyer. Next the tournament was announced and a 2-part comic strip was run in the paper during the sign up period. Each coach went back and left a tournament booklet with there contacts and set up an organizational / informational meeting for them to attend if interested. The tournament booklet included a history of Rugby, Club welcome letter, sign up sheet (including an entry fee), player’s guide, rules and the brackets.

12 teams signed up with 120 players. We set up two practices for them before the tournament and played an “A” side against “B” side game for them to see. The coaches were available for a couple extra practices if they wanted them.
Tournament day came and we had invited everyone we could think of. The turn out was modest, maybe 125 spectators and the players plus our team (275 total). Play was fast and fun with only minor injuries. In the end an under dog type of team won just assuring us of a successful tournament the next year. We ended up with about 15 new players and the tournament has been a great way to recruit ever since...

May those who
love us, love us
And those that
don’t love us,
May God turn their hearts;
And if he doesn’t
turn their hearts
May he turn their ankles
So we’ll know them by their limping

an old Gaelic rugby blessing

[i]The club is now affectionately named the- Lost Boys? This is not a new thing. NDSU ruggers always get lost before /after the game. With a play on words in the “old days” the Thundering Herd was often referred to as the “Seldom Heard”.

[i]And then it was time to start uphill toward another morning and another home."
-Roger Kahn, The Boys of Summer, 1971

(Few people know that Roger was writing about his time with the NDSU lost boys)

With you,

Mn Lost Boy

Past President & Founder NDSURFC
Dwaskey@alum.ndsu.nodak.edu
Smile

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow

I think I'd rather listen to that story over a few beers.......

Last edited by Kitch on Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh....I think mine is a rental.

Actually:

Sui Generis. Lat. Of its own kind or class; i.e., the only one of its own kind; peculiar. (Black's Law Dictionary)
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the joys of rugger players. I was once warned, never ever enter a pub frequented by rugger players.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy flying. There are numerous pilots out there, many of which have used up common flying terms. I was looking for a name here on this forum, and was doing it quickly. HighSky was just something that popped into my head. It was open, so I took it! And here I am...
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is a little stale but I just got around to reading it. My original username was twinsfan, a spur-of-the-moment choice. Accurate but pretty uninspired. Our family dog is a Spinone Italiano; spinowner is a contraction of spinone owner. Still not as interesting as many of the other name origins but it's a unique handle so it's here to stay.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAve, CHEryl, & BOnnie
dachebo.......not too creative, but it was already our email address.
We pronounce it duh-chee-boe
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Buzzy" is what my dad used to call me as a kid. In fact, he still called me that well into my 20's... and even my 30's. The nickname is probably a result of my being ADHD. I was a hyperactive child, always "buzzing around" from here to there; rarely able to sit still in school, or anywhere else for that matter.

To a large extent, I am still that way. I've learned how to live with it, although it still presents me with certain challenges... but I wouldn't get rid of that part of me, even if I had a choice.
TakeNotes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TakeNotes? Rolling Eyes

This is not a name I am terribly happy with, and I think it shows a lazy lack of creativity on my part. Surely, I could have come up with something better?!

I was sitting at my computer, and signing up for -whatever- maybe a new email account, and I couldn't think of any good nickname on the fly. I looked around, and there was a small paper tablet that came from a MUSIC store on my desk. I think someone had given it to me. The tablet had musical notes on it, and it said, "Take Notes." Okay, this just goes to show how desparate we can be when we are fresh out of any new ideas.

So I have used "TakeNotes" for a variety of things along the way, including eBay, and more recently on www.atlanticgames.net where I am playing in some chess tournaments.

But watch out for IMPOSTERS! Not every "takenotes" out there is me. When I tried to sign up for G-Mail, I found someone had already taken "takenotes." Hmmm, is there a COPY CAT out there? Maybe I should have registered for TRADEMARK status to keep the imposters away?

Maybe someday I will think of a better nickname. My former boss used to refer to me as his "pitbull." How about that nickname? I had a different supervisor who called me the "walking encyclopedia." Then I found out some of the other guys in the company secretly referred to me as "the Weasel," but I think that was only after I had negotiated a vehicle total loss settlement with one of the employees there, and I guess he felt like he got the short end of the stick. Hey, I'm a CLAIMS guy, and you can't work claims without ending up with a few unhappy campers.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One has to be creative when making a "handle"...some I have used in a chat room are: Pvt. Parts, Guy Wyre, Seth Poole, etc... Shocked . A few for the ladies would be: Ann Chovie, Ann Heiser, (perhaps Ann Heiser-Bush, if related to the prez), Helena Handbaskit......the list goes on........
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget my personal favorites: Oliver Clothesoff, Amanda Hugenkiss, Ben Dover, Ilene Dover........I have more Laughing

I suppose I may as well bore everyone with my choice for a name of RINO SHAWN.........way to basic....My name is Shawn, My GPSr is a RINO

(You can see I didn't strain my brain trying to be creative!) Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: