MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Girl Scout help in Northfield July 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Girl Scout help in Northfield July 2015 Reply with quote

We got this request today. Is anyone able to help out?

I am part of a group of Girl Scout volunteers that is putting on a large
event (Jamboree) for Girl Scout in July 2015. I would like to offer
Geocaching as one of the activities we offer. The Jamboree will be held in
Northfield, MN. I am looking for someone that would be willing to teach
Geocaching to groups of Girl Scouts. The age range would be 12 years old
and up. The options would be to travel to a state park or to use the
campus where the event is held. The dates are July 16 - 18, that I would
be like someone to work with us.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I helped a girl scout troop they found a coffin in the woods and thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread.
Khrystill
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2015, that's ages away. Is that supposed to be 2014? Either way, I'm interested and available at this point in time. Teaching Girl Scouts at Camp Singing Hills as a staff person there introduced me to geocaching. I'll happily introduce other scouts to it too.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khrystill wrote:
Is that supposed to be 2014?

Good question. I'll ask.
PackaDad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the 2015 date is correct. I was just asked a similar thing for this event in another group I am on, and the poster of the event they included definitely listed 2015 as the year.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 2015 is correct.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask again in June of 2015! I get being excited, but over a year advanced notice...thats hard core.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is more info:

The Jamboree is July 15 – 19 2015. We are setting up classes on 16, 17, and 18 July.
I am on the part of the committee setting up classes that are off site. I would like to offer the geocaching as an off site class.

I would like to go to a local state park; Nerstrand Big Woods State Park is near the college.
At the state park the geocaching volunteer would explain about geocaching, what it is and how to use the gps devices. After a 101 class, the group would go out and ‘find’ geocaches in the park.

I can see this class being offered as a ˝ day excursion, starting around 9am and done by 11:30am, back on campus by 12:30 at the latest. Then we can have another group the same day for the afternoon, starting at 2pm and done and back at campus by 5:30pm at the latest.

If this is reasonable, and depending on the volunteers time, we can offer the class 2 times (one day) 4 times (two days) or 6 times (three days). Each time would be with different participants. I don’t know how many people we would get to sign up – but if we set the maximum number of times we would like to offer the class, then we can work off of that number. The number of classes we offer depends on when the volunteer would be available.

So for this class, I would need some information from who ever will be doing the class…
1. How many times are they willing to offer the class

2. What day would be best if they are doing one or two days

3. How many people can they have in one class at a time

4. Is there a different location near Northfield MN, that the volunteer would like to go for the class? Something instead of the state park.

It would be nice to get some volunteers to commit to doing this early so that they can plan the number of classes offered. If anybody is interested please let me know the amount of time you could commit to doing this and which day(s). Thanks!
purplesquirrel1
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to help and can commit to both the 17th & 18th.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: