MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching.com cache of the week

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berresfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Geocaching.com cache of the week Reply with quote

I follow gc.com on google+ and saw the cache of the week. http://blog.geocaching.com/2014/05/tick-tock-times-up-gc161pw-geocache-of-the-week/. Looks pretty neat except that they also posted the 4 most common geocache hide mistakes. http://blog.geocaching.com/2014/05/the-4-most-common-geocache-hiding-mistakes/. By the looks of the picture the cache breaks rule #4 specifically "Never bury a geocache, even partway. If you have to make a hole in the ground, itís not OK."
So I guess it is ok to pound a pole in the ground to stabilize the cache container? Isn't this by rule an illegal hide?
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the cache is not buried and completely obvious. That's pretty different from having to excavate to find it, which would be both annoying and destructive. But it's one where I do wonder about what the property manager/park might think of it.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the parks dept hid it in this case . . . now that's the spirit : )
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've been trying to call attention to the total hypocrisy of caches highlighted in the blog now for months. Based on my knowledge of the guidelines and experiences with our own reviewers, nearly 75% of the highlighted caches would not get published here in Minnesota, even if you get special permission from a land owner (to place a post into the ground).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: