MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living Skies 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Living Skies 2014 Reply with quote

The MnGCA received the following communication from geocachers in Saskatchewan. Summer vacation anyone?

Greetings from Saskatchewan Canada, we are to the north of North Dakota & Montana - we would like to extend an invitation to our nearby USA caching neighbours to the Living Skies 2014 Mega Event that we are planning for July 19, 2014 in Rosthern.

This will be Saskatchewan’s first Mega Event, and we have multiple days’ worth of activities including hundreds of new geocaches and satellite events planned including canoeing, hiking, museum and historic site tours, all while enjoying the beautiful scenery and historic sites along the way.

Our pre-registration is now live, and by the time you read this, our event will likely already be upgraded to mega status as well. Happy caching!

More information at the geocaching.com event page: Living Skies 2014 (WestCan4)

And our website: Living Skies 2014 (WestCan4) Geocaching Event

Thanks again,
Ryan Goolevitch (Nezgar & Vana)
Living Skies 2014 Event Planning & Organizing Committee
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun!

Remember - you need a passport (or passport card) and a clean record to get into Canada!
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
Sounds like fun!

Remember - you need a passport (or passport card)...to get into Canada!

Minnesota is the 5th state to offer an Enhanced Drivers License that will work as well. The license contains a RFID chip, costs an additional $15, and is accepted by border patrol agents.

My only concern with the RFID chip is where else are they tracking me and why.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

The NSA already knows exactly where you are and what you're doing. Why? Because power corrupts.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
RudeRat wrote:

The NSA already knows exactly where you are and what you're doing. Why? Because power corrupts.

No, the NSA already knows exactly where you are and what you're doing because Google (and any number of other sites) told them. Google, on the other hand, knows where you are and what you are doing because power corrupts.

Austin
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
Sounds like fun!

Remember - you need a passport (or passport card) and a clean record to get into Canada!

Both?!?!
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
Sounds like fun!

Remember - you need a passport (or passport card)...to get into Canada!

Minnesota is the 5th state to offer an Enhanced Drivers License that will work as well. The license contains a RFID chip, costs an additional $15, and is accepted by border patrol agents.

They have NFC enabled phones at the border? Laughing
Copaman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

And in Soviet Russia, geocache finds you! Very Happy
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
Sounds like fun!

Both?!?!

Yes. Especially DUI's... if you have had one within the past 10 years you won't get in, 10-20 years, don't count on getting in, but maybe you will. And don't bring weed across the border either. Just things I learn geocaching.

Oh and in Soviet Russia geocaches do NOT find you... some of them are hard as heck to find, especially while Russian Police forces are watching you. Smile
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it matters or not, but when I crossed the border, I did not mention geocaching at all. I told them I was taking a vacation and that's it. They kept me there about a half hour to make sure "that I wasn't coming here searching for a job", but they let me cross without issue.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4 wrote:
I don't know if it matters or not, but when I crossed the border, I did not mention geocaching at all. I told them I was taking a vacation and that's it. They kept me there about a half hour to make sure "that I wasn't coming here searching for a job", but they let me cross without issue.

I too would never mention geocaching while crossing the border. I usually tell them I am just day tripping to go into to town to visit and have lunch. I also tell them I work for RBC and they usually let me right through.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
And don't bring weed across the border either. Just things I learn geocaching.

And if you ask Peter, you'll find it generally wise to leave your firearms at home too. Laughing
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4 wrote:

I have used my reason for geocaching before and didn't receive a second blink. I told them I was in International Falls for a couple of days, had a couple of hours free so I wanted to go geocaching. I was given no trouble at all.
I Spy.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
BigChiefS4 wrote:

I have used my reason for geocaching before and didn't receive a second blink. I told them I was in International Falls for a couple of days, had a couple of hours free so I wanted to go geocaching. I was given no trouble at all.

I've been in SK, Manitoba and Ontario and the border folks were fine with me coming in to geocache. The only hitch is that my boys were with me and I needed a letter from my wife giving me permission to enter with the kids.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Spy. wrote:
AerosmithPA wrote:
BigChiefS4 wrote:

I've been in SK, Manitoba and Ontario and the border folks were fine with me coming in to geocache. The only hitch is that my boys were with me and I needed a letter from my wife giving me permission to enter with the kids.

Ohhh, I hear you. My biggest trouble crossing ever was with three minor children w/o their mother. I had her on speed dial waiting in St. Paul, but whoa me, no cell reception at the crossing north of Thief River Falls, MN in 2005. Since I had her name and phone number ready, they believed me and let me pass without incident. On they way back in to the U.S. (on I-29), I had her waiting on the line, but since coming into the U.S. it wasn't such a big deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: