MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I will never place another travel item out in the wild
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a coin reappear this month after 3 years. It was picked up from a cache on 8/12/2010 with this comment "Found and in the process of figuring out where to put it. Won't take too long -- promise." Then nothing. There was a time we would send a nice email to the cacher reminding them to place it in a cache, but we quit doing that. Then out of the blue they posted a NOTE "Finally dropped off this track able in Stanley Park in Vancouver, British Columbia, on 9-7-13" I wrote a nice note asking them to place it in the cache and described how to do it. Which they did right away, and wrote a note back apologizing. Saying there are so many nanos out there, and wanted to put it far away from where they found it! They have 71 caches. The unfortunate this is that they put it in a TB hotel. However, someone picked it up now and is taking it all over the country. (I don't quite understand why people do that.) Nice to have a coin back in play after the many we have lost.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
(I don't quite understand why people do that.)

I have to admit we are guilty of that. The main reason (for us) is because we want to bring the TB as far away as possible from where we got it, but in the meantime (before we get to that place) we have it with us. We also have a few other TB's that aren't actually out in the wild but rather that we use to track every cache we've been to, in order, on the map. It is easier to just hit the button to say "all visited" rather than single the other TB's out and unselect them, so they all get to visit everywhere we go from the time we have it til the time we drop it somewhere else. I figure it gives them miles anyway, but if they don't like it, they can always delete the logs.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

I have to admit we are guilty of that. The main reason (for us) is because we want to bring the TB as far away as possible from where we got it, but in the meantime (before we get to that place) we have it with us. We also have a few other TB's that aren't actually out in the wild but rather that we use to track every cache we've been to, in order, on the map. It is easier to just hit the button to say "all visited" rather than single the other TB's out and unselect them, so they all get to visit everywhere we go from the time we have it til the time we drop it somewhere else. I figure it gives them miles anyway, but if they don't like it, they can always delete the logs.
ok thanks. Now I understand.
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

I figure it gives them miles anyway, but if they don't like it, they can always delete the logs.

Do you know how long it takes to delete hundreds of visit, that do little with the mission of the bug?
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

I figure it gives them miles anyway, but if they don't like it, they can always delete the logs.

Do you know how long it takes to delete hundreds of visit, that do little with the mission of the bug?

Who said it would be hundreds, especially plural? We try to keep a TB no longer than 2 weeks, and don't visit nearly that many caches in that time. It is typically only 10-15 tops (for us anyway).

But, besides that, how do you know who would and wouldn't like to see where the TB has all traveled while in the hands of its temporary owner? I know I like to see it on ours, especially if they are crossing states and stuff while doing so. So, it is easier for me, potentially desired by them, and if not, the solution is to delete a FEW logs (not hundreds)...
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

But, to more specifically answer your question, if it takes around 5 seconds per deletion (I can't imagine it taking much longer than that to make 4 mouse clicks: Log, trash can, Yes, and then the TB again = 4 clicks), that is around 25 minutes to delete 300 logs, maybe a touch more, but you are most definitely not talking hours by any stretch, and 300 would be an EXTREME example...

So, still I say I'd rather give someone something they may or may not want when it is pretty easy to get rid of if it is not wanted, than to not give them that choice in the first place. That is really the bigger reason for me than the pure convenience factor, since it certainly isn't that big of a deal for me to make a couple extra mouse clicks when doing logs either...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

I used to have a coin I'd log to every cache. After 3000 visits I thought it was a stupid idea and started deleting the logs. It took me weeks.
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
NOSNOW wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

But, to more specifically answer your question, if it takes around 5 seconds per deletion (I can't imagine it taking much longer than that to make 4 mouse clicks: Log, trash can, Yes, and then the TB again = 4 clicks), that is around 25 minutes to delete 300 logs, maybe a touch more, but you are most definitely not talking hours by any stretch, and 300 would be an EXTREME example...

So, still I say I'd rather give someone something they may or may not want when it is pretty easy to get rid of if it is not wanted, than to not give them that choice in the first place. That is really the bigger reason for me than the pure convenience factor, since it certainly isn't that big of a deal for me to make a couple extra mouse clicks when doing logs either...

It does take alot longer then that! It will depend on how busy GS is and how fast each page upload. Each deletion does take 5 click and 5 screen loades. 300 may be exteme, but not that much, our coins get 50-200 visits for each person and must all so have on the page "DO NOT USE THE VISIT".
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
NOSNOW wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

I used to have a coin I'd log to every cache. After 3000 visits I thought it was a stupid idea and started deleting the logs. It took me weeks.

Why not just forget the coin rather than go through deleting everything? What did you end up using the coin for after that? You must have only did a little at a time for it to take weeks. When I first had the idea to have a TB logged to every cache (actually 4 of them - 1 for each of us individually and 1 for us as a team) that I had to go back and dip at every cache we ever found (AND keep track of which of us were at each one), it only took a couple nights (maybe a couple hours a night) to go through over a thousand caches at that time.

It does get awfully cluttered, but the one thing I like about it is that all the little pinpoints stay even when caches (and therefore smileys on the map) disappear upon archival. It was especially important to me for the MOGA geo-art trail we did one year. I want to make sure to always have that even if those caches get archived over time...
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
NOSNOW wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

It does take alot longer then that! It will depend on how busy GS is and how fast each page upload. Each deletion does take 5 click and 5 screen loades. 300 may be exteme, but not that much, our coins get 50-200 visits for each person and must all so have on the page "DO NOT USE THE VISIT".

I must have had good luck with the server whenever I'd done mass update stuff like that then (or maybe I have fast internet, or it may be because I work in technology, and am pretty quick with the mouse, etc.), because it has never felt like a big deal to me whenever I've done it.

In any case, if someone specifically requested not visiting, I would absolutely respect that and not do it. I always look at the TB when I first get it to see what their goal is. A lot of them are "visit as many caches as possible" or "travel as many miles as possible", so in that case I figure every one I visit helps them along there til I finally drop it off. And, the ones that don't specify, how am I supposed to know whether they'd want to see them or not? And, if I don't know, I'm gonna do what is easier for me.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I would be a little insulted to get a travel bug log deleted. Then again, we typically try to honor the goal listed (try being the key word - not always as successful as hoped). We were a little concerned we were going to get our log deleted when we took a picture of a 3 year old's travel bug on Ed Gein's gravesite (GC78D9).
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will visit a travel bug if I took it with me and couldn't find a place to drop it off. For example, I had a few travel bugs with me on a business trip to DC, and unfortunately, I couldn't find anything but virtuals and micros. So, I picked one of the caches (usually the one I found with the most favorite points or with some historic significance) and would add a "visit" log with an explanation of the fact that I was unable to drop it there. That way, it got credit for all the miles to DC but don't need a bunch of logs with distance of 0.1 miles.

I also will do the same thing with other states. I had some travel bugs I picked up at GS HQ to bring back to Minnesota, but I had a quick day trip down to Oregon. Again, I could only find micros, so I had them "visit" the micro so that they got credit for the side trip to Oregon (and also could cross that state off the list).

The thing about the visited logs is that I had someone who had my TB and visited it to every cache they found over three years. Then, they e-mailed me and told me that they actually lost the physical TB some time two years earlier, but had continued to post visited logs. It wasn't until I "grabbed" the TB back from them that I could actually get them to stop posting visits for the TB. (Call me a scrooge, but I don't need my TB to be a proxy of all caches they visit.) I used to think that by seeing "visited" logs, it let you know that your TB was alive and well, but then I found out that may not always be the case.

Visits are nice once or twice in a while, especially when accompanied by logs or pictures, but add me to the list of people who hate seeing pages upon pages of "Visited XXXX. Distance traveled 0.1 mi."
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one coin is back. Interesting that the coin went missing at HQ to begin with...

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

Timobear grabbed Timewellspent's 50 Hides Geo-Achievement Coin (Geo-Achievement Hides 50 Coin) at 1/17/2014

Log Date: 1/17/2014
This is one of several hundred trackables that were returned to Groundspeak Headquarters after being collected by a member with a touch of OCD...NJBpoppa. Member had been collecting them and not moving them on.... So now they will be free to roam again.
There were 5 boxes the size of a case of office paper each filled with bags of trackables and inside of each bag was a list if which geocache it was pulled from and when
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread complaining about this cacher hoarding trackables on the Washington state geocaching association forum is over 3 years old. 19,510 logged plus whatever didn't get logged.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll have some returned too! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: