MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lunch Thief
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AustinMN
Geocacher


Joined: 21 Mar 2012

Posts: 108

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a real email I received today:

Quote:
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 11:30 AM
Subject: Items being stolen from fridges

XXXX Team,

It has been brought to my attention by a handful of employees that many items, including people’s lunches, are being stolen from the refrigerators, specifically on the 9th floor of XXXX. These types of actions and behaviors do not support our corporate values and will not be tolerated and monitoring of the fridges will begin in the break room immediately. This should go without saying, but, we are all adults, and the expectation is that you only take items that are yours, and if you have been taking other people’s items, it is to stop immediately. To be clear, if you are found to be stealing other employees’ items, it will result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment with or assignment at XXXX.

Any questions or concerns, please direct to me. Anyone with employees who do not have email, please ensure this is shared with them today.

Thank you.

XXXX

Vice President, Human Resources
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pfalstad
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Feb 2006

Posts: 1007
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
This is a real email I received today:

Is that the same place that's growing like crazy with all the raises and bonuses? You'd think people could afford their own lunch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KRedEP
Geocacher


Joined: 03 Aug 2007

Posts: 779

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, that is the place I wanted to work! I'm going to have to re-think that! Amazing that this is being addressed at the corporate level!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3972

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks back where I work they just put up a surveillance camera to watch the office supplies because of the rampant theft. This is in a professional banking/investment environment.

I am not sure which is more childish, stealing all of the pens and envelopes, or being watched in the office while using the copyroom. Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Aug 2011

Posts: 159

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I work, we have an employee-run pop fund that we use mostly so we can have cheaper pop than what we'd pay in the machines. Plus, it also gives us a little extra money to do fun stuff with once in a while. But, every single week we fall short of what we are supposed to have in the money box compared to how many pops were taken. The people that tracked this tried everything from big bold signs that emphasize the price, that it isn't free, that you are stealing from fellow employees (not the company), they started publicly displaying the balance sheet and how much we were short each week, they started tracking daily and publicly displaying which days were worse than others, but while some things had some minimal impact, nothing really worked well. We weren't allowed to do any kind of surveillance and corporate wouldn't get involved since this was just a little employee-run thing. But, we were always profitable even with the theft, so they eventually just factored in theft as part of the cost of doing business and we still get cheaper pop and extra money. It is just sad that people feel the need to steal a 50 cent can of pop, repeatedly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AustinMN
Geocacher


Joined: 21 Mar 2012

Posts: 108

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
This is a real email I received today:

Is that the same place that's growing like crazy with all the raises and bonuses? You'd think people could afford their own lunch.


We have a large and constantly fluctuating call center. I'll let you put two and two together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pfalstad
Geocacher


Joined: 02 Feb 2006

Posts: 1007
Location: Edina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
A few weeks back where I work they just put up a surveillance camera to watch the office supplies because of the rampant theft. This is in a professional banking/investment environment.

Bankers being dishonest? Unbelievable!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3972

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:
A few weeks back where I work they just put up a surveillance camera to watch the office supplies because of the rampant theft. This is in a professional banking/investment environment.

Bankers being dishonest? Unbelievable!


None of us are bankers. We're all IT making minimum wage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rustynails
Geocacher


Joined: 27 Oct 2009

Posts: 776

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

None of us are bankers. We're all IT making minimum wage.


Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3972

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
bflentje wrote:

None of us are bankers. We're all IT making minimum wage.


Rolling Eyes


I Rolling Eyes your Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Copaman
MnGCA Board


Joined: 25 May 2011

Posts: 174

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
Where I work, we have an employee-run pop fund that we use mostly so we can have cheaper pop than what we'd pay in the machines. Plus, it also gives us a little extra money to do fun stuff with once in a while. But, every single week we fall short of what we are supposed to have in the money box compared to how many pops were taken...


We used to end up with pesos, Canadian coins, and Chuck E Cheese tokens in ours. All anybody heard or saw was that you dropped some coins in the box, but not exactly *what* coins were dropped in there.

Back to the topic at hand, have you considered this nifty idea? Looks like something a geocacher would come up with. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Aug 2011

Posts: 159

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:
Back to the topic at hand, have you considered this nifty idea? Looks like something a geocacher would come up with. Smile

That does look pretty nifty, but I'd be afraid my lunch would get thrown out more often than stolen with something like that...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 09 Jul 2008

Posts: 784

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
Ahhhhhhhh, the power of cheese!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 3972

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:


Funny. This would never fly in the kind of office I work in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President


Joined: 19 Nov 2005

Posts: 966
Location: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
Copaman wrote:
Back to the topic at hand, have you considered this nifty idea? Looks like something a geocacher would come up with. Smile

That does look pretty nifty, but I'd be afraid my lunch would get thrown out more often than stolen with something like that...


In my work area, there is no need to worry about people messing with your food. One fella, however, (the littlest guy but who can out-eat anyone) recently told me that he found a sandwich in his office. "The bread had some mold on it," he told me "so I threw the bread out. The meat still looked good so I got to eat that". My concern would be that I would buy the moldy baggies and it would only draw some attention- "Don't let that go to waste, I can handle it for you".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.