MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dakota County Parks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Who at Dakota County can I talk to about this? Also, who are the elected officials that were part of the decision to come up with this wasteful and expensive solution to a non-problem? I want names and phone numbers. Don't worry... I won't be yelling, but I do want to make my opinion known, and to those that matter.

When ever I have tried to discuss the caching policy they have implemented I get sent to the people who work at Lebanon Hills. Never have got very far with the people there.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
knowschad wrote:
Who at Dakota County can I talk to about this? Also, who are the elected officials that were part of the decision to come up with this wasteful and expensive solution to a non-problem? I want names and phone numbers. Don't worry... I won't be yelling, but I do want to make my opinion known, and to those that matter.

When ever I have tried to discuss the caching policy they have implemented I get sent to the people who work at Lebanon Hills. Never have got very far with the people there.
Really? Is that as a representative of MNGCA? If so, that is way down on the totem pole! Has anybody spoken with the Board of Commissioners, or even with a single County Commissioner (I'm not speaking of Parks Commissioner here)?
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refresh my memory on this please. Since I'm also a Dakota county resident, if there's something I should be all up in arms about, I'd like to know what that is.

Having actually gone through the procedure they have in place for placing caches, and having done quite a few in Three Rivers parks, I would have to say the Dakota County procedure is easier. Not that the Three Rivers procedure is particularly tough, it's just that the Dakota County registration makes it a little easier.

If you're concerned about the Vermillion highlands park development vs. keeping the land as it is now, that's certainly a valid point of view. Personally, I'd have to come down on the side of making the parks accessible to as many residents as possible and that probably means having trails installed that allow passage. I've tromped all around that emerging park and there are many areas that are very difficult to push through.

So, what's the beef? Convince me that I also need to feel the policy is an affront to citizens.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said previously, cachers in other areas where registration has already been required probably see me as being "whiney". I totally understand that. But it seems to me that all that should have been required is extended contact information for anybody with a cache in their parks. In case there is an issue, they would then be able to do more than simply emailing through Groundspeak and hoping the account is still viable. I would gladly give them that information.

But what gets me is using taxpayer money to create a redundant database of coordinates and other information for caches in their parks. This is already available at geocaching.com, a fact that they are well aware of, because they used it to contact those with caches in their parks. The Dakota County database, besides being redundant, will eventually be totally wrong, unless they also use taxpayer dollars to have somebody keep it up-to-date with geocaching.com as caches get archived. This outdated data will also probably cause proximity issues when a new hider tries to put a cache out that is too near an archived cache.

Bottom line, Paklid, it is a stupid waste of my money and yours. But I'm not asking you to get upset about it. Just stating that I am.
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
As I have said previously, cachers in other areas where registration has already been required probably see me as being "whiney". I totally understand that. But it seems to me that all that should have been required is extended contact information for anybody with a cache in their parks. In case there is an issue, they would then be able to do more than simply emailing through Groundspeak and hoping the account is still viable. I would gladly give them that information.

But what gets me is using taxpayer money to create a redundant database of coordinates and other information for caches in their parks. This is already available at geocaching.com, a fact that they are well aware of, because they used it to contact those with caches in their parks. The Dakota County database, besides being redundant, will eventually be totally wrong, unless they also use taxpayer dollars to have somebody keep it up-to-date with geocaching.com as caches get archived. This outdated data will also probably cause proximity issues when a new hider tries to put a cache out that is too near an archived cache.

Bottom line, Paklid, it is a stupid waste of my money and yours. But I'm not asking you to get upset about it. Just stating that I am.

Your caches may be listed on geocacing.com, but you got to remember that although it's the big one, it's not the only site that list caches. With Garmin getting in the market of listing cahces [url=(Opencache)]http://www.opencaching.com/[/url]. They may need to have a consolidated list of cahces.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:
knowschad wrote:

Your caches may be listed on geocacing.com, but you got to remember that although it's the big one, it's not the only site that list caches. With Garmin getting in the market of listing cahces [url=(Opencache)]http://www.opencaching.com/[/url]. They may need to have a consolidated list of cahces.
You know that, and I know that, but I'm willing to bet that Dakota County doesn't know that. I'm guessing that the only ones they sent emails to were those that had them listed at Groundspeak.

I was just looking at the opencaching.com site, as a matter of fact. I wonder what that has done to the relationship between them and Groundspeak (although that is a topic for another thread)
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:
knowschad wrote:

Yep, I do know that. And Dakota county has made it perfectly clear that they're only dealing with those found on geocaching.com. Strange, eh?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the KML files (Google Earth files) for the off-limits and park boundary areas:

http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/DoingBusiness/MapsAndServices/Download/Parks_Geocaching.htm
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've also made a KML of the Park Entrances:

http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/DoingBusiness/MapsAndServices/Download/Park_Entrances.htm
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated link to the Dakota County Parks geocache registration page

http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/parks/Activities/Geocaching/Pages/GeocacheRegistration.aspx

Thank you Team_Ripley.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:

http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/parks/Activities/Geocaching/Pages/GeocacheRegistration.aspx

Thank you Team_Ripley.

Its an improvement, but I still don't know why they feel they need South and East in the coordinates dropdowns! (why dropdowns at all, really). Isn't every Dakota County park in N & W coordinates?
jackremote
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
AerosmithPA wrote:

Thank you Team_Ripley.

Its an improvement, but I still don't know why they feel they need South and East in the coordinates dropdowns! (why dropdowns at all, really). Isn't every Dakota County park in N & W coordinates?
Hopefully, unless they secretly made a deal with Australia. I'm sure if Bart finds out/found out he would be on his way with 15 peanut butter jars. Wink
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Here are the KML files (Google Earth files) for the off-limits and park boundary areas:

http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/DoingBusiness/MapsAndServices/Download/Parks_Geocaching.htm

FWIW, those links no longer work.
Gat R Done
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Try this: http://mngca.org/node/645

There is a link at the bottom named "Hills and Hollows.kmz" Click there and it will open in Google Earth.

If there is a check in the 'OffLimits' box on the left side of the GE view but not the boxes below, uncheck that box and recheck it. All the off-limits zones should show up as red areas.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gat R Done wrote:
knowschad wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Try this: http://mngca.org/node/645

There is a link at the bottom named "Hills and Hollows.kmz" Click there and it will open in Google Earth.

If there is a check in the 'OffLimits' box on the left side of the GE view but not the boxes below, uncheck that box and recheck it. All the off-limits zones should show up as red areas.

Shouldn't that file be renamed to "Dakota County Parks Off-Limits Areas", and not erroneously named for a park that isn't even open for public access yet?

A link to instructions on how to load a KML onto your GPS would be useful as well. I found Garmin's instructions here: http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps#fragment-2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: