MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geo-Vacation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
Boreal Walker wrote:
Four days? Road trip down I-35 to Dallas and back. The oldest cache in Texas is there

And barney Smith's toilet seat museum. a virtual.

Going to have to check that out!! Smile
kendrick0861
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back from 2 different trips and I also work for an airline. I like to look up events like the mega ones and attend those because you can meet up with the local catchers there and they will tell you where the cool places are. Went to West Virginia/ Kentucky first and met a lot of really cool people there and saw a lot of history. Then a week later I flew to Vegas and drove to St. George Utah. Saw a lot of cool places that were not the mainstream places like the grand canyon. Went to Zion instead and it was awesome. Traveled to many places this way like Hilo Hawaii, Phoenix AZ, Charlotte NC, Denver CO, and Seattle WA. There are a lot of alternate places to see if you look them up.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably more than a weekend, but the most diverse and beautiful caches I've seen so far were in hawaii.

like everybody else says, depends on your interests, what kind of find you most enjoy.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad_CRC wrote:
probably more than a weekend, but the most diverse and beautiful caches I've seen so far were in hawaii.

like everybody else says, depends on your interests, what kind of find you most enjoy.

That is so funny! We were thisclose to actually choosing Hawaii! It has one of the old year/month combinations we need. But we ultimately decided against it because we'd really only have 1 full day there, and that is a lot of flying for one day. Plus, our daughter is not old enough to fly in first class yet (just 7 months to go!), and that is a market where people do often get lucky with empty seats available up front, so it would be nice to be able to take advantage of that when we go. But, that is very much on our to do list as soon as she is old enough and we have a bit more time.

We also looked at Vegas, but there weren't quite enough empty seats getting home for our comfort level (at a time that is reasonable for a little girl that has school the next day).

So, we settled on going after Mingo and another old cache in Kansas City. At first we were going to fly in to KC because flights are open there, but then we realized that by the time we drive to the airport, go through security, wait at the gate, fly, get off the plane, get our rental car, install the car seat in the rental car, etc., that we could just about drive there in that time and have our own car. (Plus be able to cache on the way). So, our current plan is a loop to Kansas City, Mingo, Omaha, and then home.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oldest cache in Missouri is in Kansas City (GC37).

Edit - on second reading I am guessing that would be the other old cache.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:

Yep - Mingo will give us May 2000 and GC37 will give us June 2000. The one in Hawaii is July 2000, so I am anxious to get that one too!
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pass up the others on the trail where the old Hawaii one is located. I missed out on one that was at the bottom of the area, and we were going to go for another on a spur trail with a waterfall, until the locals we met told us it was dry that year. But we enjoyed spending the better part of the day hiking that whole trail. How could you not enjoy Hawaii, though?
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
Don't pass up the others on the trail where the old Hawaii one is located. I missed out on one that was at the bottom of the area, and we were going to go for another on a spur trail with a waterfall, until the locals we met told us it was dry that year. But we enjoyed spending the better part of the day hiking that whole trail. How could you not enjoy Hawaii, though?

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, that is why I don't want to spend just 1 day there. We've explored all over Hawaii, but before we knew about geocaching. It will be fun to do it again while finding caches.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
schmittfamily wrote:

Yep - Mingo will give us May 2000 and GC37 will give us June 2000. The one in Hawaii is July 2000, so I am anxious to get that one too!

Arikaree
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Kansas City - GCX612 (Castle Northmoor) is definitely worth getting on your route.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
In Kansas City - GCX612 (Castle Northmoor) is definitely worth getting on your route.

Oooh - That is on our list! We always try to go after ones with a lot of favorite points if we can feasibly do it.

Can't do Arikaree though because it is too far out of the way...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: