MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you carry a smart phone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you carry a smart phone with you when you geocache?
Yes
61%
 61%  [ 33 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 19 ]
Sometimes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I have one, but don't usually take it caching.
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 54

pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
And I hate texting. I try to explain to young people we have the technology to send are voices through the air. That's new technology. Texting is OLD technology, we used to call it Morse code.

YES! I am also not a fan. I can talk directly to you, or leave you a quick voice mail, in half the time it takes to type out what I want to say and with less confusion (since you get to hear full tone of voice and everything). I do not understand the appeal...

I prefer text-a-friend over phone-a-friend because it takes less time and more importantly, it takes less of the other person's time and doesn't require them to stop what they're doing and devote their full attention to helping me find a cache. I especially prefer it for someone I don't know very well, or someone who doesn't owe me a favor. Wink But I usually don't text people who haven't already texted me, because (as we see in this thread) some people don't like texting or don't know how it works.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
And I hate texting. I try to explain to young people we have the technology to send are voices through the air. That's new technology. Texting is OLD technology, we used to call it Morse code.

YES! I am also not a fan. I can talk directly to you, or leave you a quick voice mail, in half the time it takes to type out what I want to say and with less confusion (since you get to hear full tone of voice and everything). I do not understand the appeal...

I prefer text-a-friend over phone-a-friend because it takes less time and more importantly, it takes less of the other person's time and doesn't require them to stop what they're doing and devote their full attention to helping me find a cache. I especially prefer it for someone I don't know very well, or someone who doesn't owe me a favor. Wink But I usually don't text people who haven't already texted me, because (as we see in this thread) some people don't like texting or don't know how it works.

I do see the argument that texting is a little less intrusive and isn't asking for someone's complete attention right now, and maybe I'm just slow at texting (though I do have a slide out keyboard on my phone, so it isn't even as bad as it could be), but I can not type out a legible description on a phone as quickly as I can say it, so it doesn't seem faster to me. Also, I have no problem letting a call go to VM if I'm not available to talk right then, so it doesn't have to be that demanding, but I know a lot of people feel the sense that they HAVE to answer a ringing phone, so I get that...
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a smart phone, but with very limited data. When I changed from a BB to an iPhone 5 I was surprised at how much more data the iPhone uses, doing the SAME stuff. So usually I have my data off - this creates a whole different set of problems. So yes I cache with a smart phone with me, but use my Oregon for navigation. I turn on the data briefly when I need to check something, then turn it off again. I know, a totally lame way to use a smart phone! But I very much appreciate all the help I get with PAF and TAF.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my phone for the park n grab type quick caches, but for the ones I might drop it in a river or off a cliff or in the mud, I use my GPSr
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a dumb phone and it is usually only on when I want to use it-like having my car (2001) flatbedded twice while caching (one in the metro area and once in rural MN).

That is good enough for me--please do NOT have an event where smartphones are required, you will be excluding us seniors.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: