MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nature center geocache examples?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Nature center geocache examples? Reply with quote

I'm working on my Minnesota master naturalist certification and planning to set up a "nature geocache trail" at a local nature center as my capstone project.

The idea behind this is to lead the public to cool areas of the park where they can observe and learn about an interesting natural feature or do a simple activity (kind of like an earthcache). Most or all stages will not be officially listed on gc.com, though I do hope to convince them to have ONE smiley available as a puzzle or multi. Park staff mostly want it as an activity for visitors to the park and for school groups.

I'm wondering if anybody remembers good examples of this type of educational nature cache series that I might get some good ideas from . . . or anything else to make it noob friendly, "public proof" and easy for staff to maintain?
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a few random thoughts:

I’d do a WHERIGO that takes them to different zones within the park. When they enter each zone, have educational info pop up that teaches them about that area, then leads them to the next zone/lesson. Problem is they’d need costly GPSr’s or smart phones to complete.

For simple GPSr’s, I’d send them off with a sheet of coords and questions to answer at each location. Educational information on the sheet could be used to help them answer each question.

Learn your trees and shrubs - Send them out with a field guide and coordinates to specific trees and shrubs in the park that they need to identify.

Non of these would require field maintenance and could all be handled at the front office.

For the smiley, I’d hide a regular cache by the entrance to the park and post it on GC.com. I’m sure a lot of cachers would check out the park after finding the cache. For the non-cachers who complete the park program, they could “earn” the coordinates to the “Final”, find it, then be given information on geocaching and how to log their first find on geocaching.com.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: