MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannon Valley Trail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Cannon Valley Trail Reply with quote

I was approached by a member of the Cannon Valley Trail Board while out playing today. They have been having problems with geocachers in particular. They request/demand that we park at the trail head in Cannon Falls or Welch and walk/bike the trail to get to the caches. DO NOT park on the gravel roads between the two towns. There have been complaints from neighbors.

I am not sure how this one happened, but local land owners are also complaining of geocachers trespassing to get to a cache. I believe that all the caches are within the right of way of the trail, so you shouldn't have to trespass to get to any of them.

They were actually shocked when I informed them of how many caches are actually along their trail. If they continue to have problems, they have talked about banning caching along their trail.

If you would like to continue to use the trail for caching, I would urge you to listen to them. That is all.
ASL Girl
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannon Valley Trail Caching Rules. Reply with quote

A friend of mine has an aunt who works for the Cannon Valley Trail Association, and a while back the aunt contacted me about this same issue, since she knows I know people in the Geocaching community. I then directed her to the appropriate contact. I hope that caching continues on the CVT, because it really is a beautiful place to explore whether hiking or biking, etc..

ASL Girl
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding parking notes and coordinates to cache pages would be great for owners to do if not already listed.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Adding parking notes and coordinates to cache pages would be great for owners to do if not already listed.

Agreed. I've looked at a few of the cache pages and I see trail ordinances and ediquette is explained on many of the cache pages. If these and geocaching.com guidelines are followed, along with parking in the proper places, hopefully the Association would welcome geocachers and the revenue paid for trail use.
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It strikes me that there seems to have been no official contact between
the board of the Cannon River Trail and MNGCA. I believe officers of
MNGCA should contact the trail board. We do believe in playing by the rules,
but some (many) have cut corners i pursuitof just one more cache.

If we as a group show the trail board a spirit of cooperation, and perhaps show them how many people have used the trail for caching, they would
reciprocate.

A well publicized CITO event might help as well.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with PCC322 if this hasn't happened, seems timely. I really appreciate the board's past success in preserving or opening new areas for caching.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think asking those that complain "how do you know they were geocachers?" may open some eyes. If the rumor mill is that the trespassers are geocachers, then "every trespasser is a geocacher," even if there's no reason to think that.

Austin
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a straggler or two hitting caches from the back roads but I don't believe for a minute that geocachers are trespassing.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
There may be a straggler or two hitting caches from the back roads but I don't believe for a minute that geocachers are trespassing.

That isn't to say the wishes of the trail shouldn't be followed..
two of hearts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monday Morning Caching Crew (mmcc) did the Cannon Trail today. We had fourteen folks on bikes all paying the trail fee. We always stayed within 30 feet of the trail. We also parked in the lots that the trail folks suggested. I did notice non cachers parked on various dirt roads close to the trail. It is my believe that all cachers want to have use of this fine trail and will follow all rules and guide lines.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCC322 wrote:

If we as a group show the trail board a spirit of cooperation, and perhaps show them how many people have used the trail for caching, they would
reciprocate.

Agreed. I'm sure the MnGCA could make contact soon to give the trail board a resource for voicing any concerns they may have. Along with CO's publishing parking coordinates for caches and encouraging following trail ediquette, I believe what also could help is if when geocaching along the trail and filling out a day pass envelope, consider writing a personal note, much like a cache log.

-"Thank you for providing this trail, I look forward to enjoying it while geocaching"
-"Fourteen of us geocachers are enjoying the trail today. Thank you!"
-"Geocaching the trail today. We have a trash bag in hand and will pick up any trash we find"
-"Do not have exact change, please accept the extra couple of dollars to keep this trail as nice as it appears today. We're going geocaching!"

You get the idea.
jackremote
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK, it may have been me. Or us. Last year we were finding Cartilogenophobia. And we parked on the side of Sunset Trail, where the "house with the flag/horses" were. I guess we didn't notcie the No Parking signs, so the owner with her Silverado immediately pulled out and started writing down our license (has happened before in Nininger, don't mess with those people) and demanding what we were doing and leave the grounds immediately. We left, and we later found the cache by parking a mile down the road, scoring the FTF. That's all.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackremote wrote:
OK, OK, it may have been me. Or us. Last year we were finding Cartilogenophobia. And we parked on the side of Sunset Trail, where the "house with the flag/horses" were. I guess we didn't notcie the No Parking signs, so the owner with her Silverado immediately pulled out and started writing down our license (has happened before in Nininger, don't mess with those people) and demanding what we were doing and leave the grounds immediately. We left, and we later found the cache by parking a mile down the road, scoring the FTF. That's all.

But still, I highly doubt, as the OP was told by trail staff, that it "happens all the time". You've got one angry dude that can't stand the fact that his property sits adjacent to the trail and the township road so he makes a stink. You can be assured that it was his whining that got those No Parking signs placed there in the first place, YEARS BEFORE a single geocache was ever hidden on the trail.
jackremote
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
jackremote wrote:

But still, I highly doubt, as the OP was told by trail staff, that it "happens all the time". You've got one angry dude that can't stand the fact that his property sits adjacent to the trail and the township road so he makes a stink. You can be assured that it was his whining that got those No Parking signs placed there in the first place, YEARS BEFORE a single geocache was ever hidden on the trail.

This, most likely the intersection (almost the only one) had been used like a parking lot. I do think, and even my dad thinks that the No Parking signs are ridiculous to be placed right there. I mean, we got the heck out of there, and parked a mile down the road. But, I mean me and my dad live in Cannon Falls, and we saw these pop up and it would be faster to drive out there. You never see any out-of-towners picking up caches one by one along the dirt roads around here. They always get it in one hit on the trail.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
PCC322 wrote:

reciprocate.

Agreed. I'm sure the MnGCA could make contact soon to give the trail board a resource for voicing any concerns they may have.

Curious if this was done?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: