MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GARMIN NUVI HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artemis&Apollo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: GARMIN NUVI HELP Reply with quote

I could use some help with a new NUVI. We have been using a NUVI 260w for years; just for navigating. We keep a bookmark of caches we want to find and load that PQ to the NUVI as favorites. When we find a cache we delete the favorite so that the NUVI is a current picture of the caches we have not found. It has worked pretty well for us for years. Now the 260w is dying so I bought a Nuvi 54LM. It works differently for clearing favorites which I can deal with. But I have a problem with the symbols. The 54LM does not have any geocaching symbols. In fact all of the symbols look alike (a blue box with some icon in the middle). I think I would be content if I could load custom symbols to the NUVI 54 (Geocaching Symbols). I might also be ok to load them as POIs if I could delete POIs after we have found them.

A bit verbal, I know, but can anyone tell me:

1) How to download geocaching symbols to a NUVI so that I can load them via GSAK with at least the treasure chest? Preferably with a traditional, multi, letterbox symbol.

2) If I load them as POIs can I delete individual ones after I have found them?
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Garmin Nuvi 500 for caching. It's made for geocaching. You just load your PQ just as you do for your handheld unit. It shows all your geocaches on its map and logs are there to read. Just select the cache you need and it will get you there. Then use your handheld. Cool
Artemis&Apollo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nuvi 500 looks good but it seems to be discontinued. Does anyone out there have a Nuvi that works similar to the 500 and is still available?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: