MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Oneied Cooky
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
I'm afraid I never got the chance to meet Cooky (that I know of anyway), but I'm intrigued about all the mentions of trying to get into Canada. Anyone care to share his story here?

I am unsure as to why he was detained, I think he was just lucky. But let's just say that he got to see the inside of a provincial cell, if only for a few hours. Others on the trip might want to elaborate on the story.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Cooky's Face Book page this morning to wish him happy birthday and read the news. It really saddens me to realize he's been gone for almost three months and I, and apparently the rest of his geocaching friends, are only first finding out about it.

Cooky definitely has a big place in my favorite geocaching memories. I will never forget being at a restaurant after WNC and Gilby's young daughter asked him how he lost his eye. Cooky started to tell her the true story about cancer when he noticed Gilby waving his hands indicating that it may be too graphic for her to handle. In mid stream, Cooky paused and said very seriously, "Did your mommy and daddy ever tell you not to run with scissors?"

Rest in peace Cooky, I hope you are enjoying the great hunting ground in the sky.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
I'm afraid I never got the chance to meet Cooky (that I know of anyway), but I'm intrigued about all the mentions of trying to get into Canada. Anyone care to share his story here?

I am unsure as to why he was detained, I think he was just lucky. But let's just say that he got to see the inside of a provincial cell, if only for a few hours. Others on the trip might want to elaborate on the story.

I'm only guessing, but I assume it had something to do with his geocaching handle. Although everyone pronounced it as "One-eyed", for obvious reasons, it was spelled "Oneied" as in "oneie". Look it up in the urban dictionary if you have to.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Cooky definitely has a big place in my favorite geocaching memories. I will never forget being at a restaurant after WNC and Gilby's young daughter asked him how he lost his eye. Cooky started to tell her the true story about cancer when he noticed Gilby waving his hands indicating that it may be too graphic for her to handle. In mid stream, Cooky paused and said very seriously, "Did your mommy and daddy ever tell you not to run with scissors?"

Rest in peace Cooky, I hope you are enjoying the great hunting ground in the sky.

What a great memory and thanks for sharing. I only saw Cooky a couple of times at events and both times, he was passing out bags of apples to anyone that wanted them. A great man that will be missed by all.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
bflentje wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:

I'm only guessing, but I assume it had something to do with his geocaching handle. Although everyone pronounced it as "One-eyed", for obvious reasons, it was spelled "Oneied" as in "oneie". Look it up in the urban dictionary if you have to.

Interesting. It never even dawned on me that his handle had another meaning. I looked it up and I had no idea this term existed.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP to an old caching and traveling buddy. Cooky always made a trip more interesting.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:
bflentje wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:

Interesting. It never even dawned on me that his handle had another meaning. I looked it up and I had no idea this term existed.

I had never heard of this before either. Interesting!
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally shocked! I know he wasn't the healthiest of people, but I sure didn't expect this! Cookie goes back to my very first days of caching. I have thought about him a few times, wondering what he was doing, since he didn't appear to be caching any more. Now I know. Not what I wanted to hear.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such sad news. He was such great guy. So many things I remember, meeting him at the first event I went to (a KB bowling event), the Canadian border incident, working with him on some events, his great stoup, and so many other memories of caching with him. He will be missed by many.
And the apples who could ever forget all the apples he gave away!

Last edited by minnesotabrad on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
"Did your mommy and daddy ever tell you not to run with scissors?"

Her eyes were as big as saucers! Shocked That's a great memory Moe, thanks.
two of hearts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also met Dale at WNC the time he told the kids about the running with scissors. The kids didn't have any problems with asking these kinds of questions and I noticed how nicely Dale handled these questions and was gentle with the kids. I knew this was someone I wanted to know better. Dale and I went on many a cache outing. Dale would often pick up my g'son for me who lived in Shakopee and we had a lot of adventures. Dale was diabetic and would always do a lot of complaining about things in general and we learned that when he was quiet he was low on sugar. So, we always made sure to have some sugar pop along. Dale loved to help his mother in the garden and they always shared their produce. Also, Dale loved to cook and made his "stoup" at many an event. Dale will be missed by friends and family. Good by my FRIEND AND REST IN PEACE
Patrick and Barbara aka two of hearts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: