MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Oneied Cooky
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: RIP Oneied Cooky Reply with quote

I just found out this morning that Cooky passed away on June 1st. The last time I spoke with him, he'd had a stroke and was dealing with that, on top of his other health issues.
Cooky was an interesting fellow, and always up for a caching adventure, no matter how tough the terrain or the hide!
Obituary
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Cookie, you made us all wonder and laugh at the Canadian border and fed us well at many an event! Which makes me wonder any bets if he's trying to cross the border into Canada in the next world? Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP.

Besides the Garden Island trip MNMizzou mentioned, Cookie also joined the BWCA trip back in 2010. He was definitely a fun factor on that trip. You might catch a glimpse of him in my pictures from that trip:

http://www.flentje.com/blog/post/2010/05/29/2010-Boundary-Waters-Canoe-Area-Wilderness.aspx
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I liked Cooky. Thanks Red for passing the info along. I remember caching many times with Cooky and many WNC's with him. In fact he was at my very first WNC where we were caught in a torrential thunderstorm and, strangely, the group of about 8 pressed on finding caches. We had so much fun that night, and I think it sealed my interest in the social part of caching. He mentioned to me once early in my caching career not to become a numbers hound (he may have said he regrettably was one) . I tried to take that to heart. For many Falls, Cooky would bring apples to WNC or other events, and I even baked things and "returned" the apples to him. I met his Mom who also seemed like a nice lady. I haven't seen Cooky in awhile and have missed him. I will continue to miss him. Watch over us all Cooky.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/dale.vohnoutka
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie was one of the first cachers I met, he was by far one of the more interesting; he was always nice to my family and myself and we will miss him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Cooky at an event when I was a real green cacher. He was very helpful and I regret not getting to know him better. RIP Cooky.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to MOGA with Cooky and I've been to numerous camping and other events, both MnGCA and others, with him. He was always fun to have around and will be missed.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed working with Cooky on the Gooseberry event a few years back...he was a really cool guy.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very sad news! Cooky has always been an iconic geocacher for me and my family. For over eight years, Oneied Cooky has held a couple of special quirks of caching for me. One, until today, I never knew his real name (purposely tried to keep that unknown, fun but tough thing to do over eight years). Dale? Nope, it will always be Cooky to me! Another fun thing about Cooky is his unique name that will continue to be a humorous part of conversations with newbies. When our family talks to newbies about caching, we always reference the fun names of our friends, and always we start with "Oneied Cooky and Moe The Sleaze". These fun names usually peaks the interest of the newbs and gets them thinking of what kind of fun names they could come up with for themselves.

Cooky, for as gruff as he would try to portray at times, if you knew him, he was truly a caring, giving and fun guy who will be missed. RIP!
Ramsey63
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad to learn that Cooky has passed away. He was always fun and interesting guy to talk to. We mainly met him at events or at an occasional WNC. I will always remember him telling me and my wife the story of his experience at the Canadian border. Cooky would sometimes bring his mother to events years ago, and my wife really enjoyed visiting with her. RIP Cooky.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I never got the chance to meet Cooky (that I know of anyway), but I'm intrigued about all the mentions of trying to get into Canada. Anyone care to share his story here?
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I never got the chance to meet Cooky (that I know of anyway), but I'm intrigued about all the mentions of trying to get into Canada. Anyone care to share his story here?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have Cooky's mother's address, if anyone else is interested in sending her a card. Send me an IM.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll miss ya Cooky...

I always looked forward to talking with him at events.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: