MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple Finds, Same Cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Multiple Finds, Same Cache Reply with quote

While browsing the logs for area caches, I've noticed a recent rash of multiple "find" logs for the same cache by relative newcomers to the game. I saw one cache with four finds by the same person! Usually the extra "finds" are to drop off a travel bug or something like "Came back again while introducing my brother-in-law to geocaching."

Please be aware that it is generally considered bad form to log more than one find for a cache. Follow-up visits to drop off bugs, etc. should be logged as "notes" rather than "finds". Exceptions to this are when a cache is re-hidden in a different spot or in the case of moving caches.

Now, back to minding my own business. Wink
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that also, but when you check the users stats, the find is only logged once so if he/she logs multiple finds it does not increase the find total. I don't know why anyone would want to log more than once anyway.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayfarin Stranger wrote:
but when you check the users stats, the find is only logged once so if he/she logs multiple finds it does not increase the find total.

I don't believe that's true. My extra logs for re-hides or on RJ's "Moving 123" cache have all added to my total find count.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a matter of opinion. Some people log multiple finds on event caches to log the temporary caches hidden for the event and some people find that to be "bad form".

It's up to the cache hider to determine how to handle multiple finds on their caches. I wouldn't allow it but I know that other people do (and specifically note that on the cache page itself). I also know that some people that have logged multiple times on a cache get quite upset when you delete their logs and tell you that you are taking the game too seriously.

YMMV.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SB. The only time that I have delibertly made multiple entries is on a multicache that it specified to log each leg as a find. I believe that the individual that placed the cache did this because each waypoint was 5 to 8 miles from the previous point and each leg was a unique find.

I had one cacher multiple log one of my caches. When I e-mailed with him and asked that he remove his multiple postings he told me that he went back with friends and found it again. I again asked him to remove the multiple posting and he got all defensive and removed all of his finds. Eventually, he came back and posted only one find.

I personally think that it goes both ways. It's up to the individual on event type caches and its up to the placer of a cache if he wants to allow multiple finds.

Just my 2 cents, which by next year will only be worth a plug nickel.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents already is a plug nickel.

In the end, it's really only a game. I play it the way I like, and by what I feel is fair. If I'm posting extra finds that I don't think I earned, I'm only honestly cheating myself.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with KC0GRN. When I look at my stats, I know what I've earned and how I've earned it. Different people take credit for different things - and it goes beyond just finding temps, etc. Some people don't log virtuals or locationless, and some people will log every single temp on an event.

That's fine. To each their own.

But when it comes to multiple finds on the same cache in the same location, I think there isn't much argument. It's either a mistake, they don't know better, or they're padding stats.

Did I just contradict myself? Maybe. But if someone logs a cache 4 times, what stops them from logging it 40 times? Wonder if I logged the Maplewood Nature Center cache every time I saw it just because I walk in that park over lunch and see it? Where do you draw the line?

My advice is to e-mail them and let them know that they should record one find, ask them to change their finds to notes (minus the first find). If they don't respond in a week, delete the entries or ask an admin to change them.

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
But when it comes to multiple finds on the same cache in the same location, I think there isn't much argument. It's either a mistake, they don't know better, or they're padding stats.

My advice is to e-mail them and let them know that they should record one find, ask them to change their finds to notes (minus the first find). If they don't respond in a week, delete the entries or ask an admin to change them.

Again, it's up to the individual cache owner to make the determination on their own cache. There is no "rule" about how it works or what people can/can't do as far as that goes. Geocaching is "on your honor". Honestly we should probably keep rules to the minimum as we've made it this far without too many...
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nod* I agree.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure most of the examples I've seen were by newer cachers that just didn't know better. I wouldn't dream of emailing anyone over this unless it was one of my caches involved. I just thought that by posting about the issue here, some of them my take notice.

The issue of logging temporary caches at an event is a different matter altogether. Although I understand that it is frowned upon in some areas, events in this area (MN and WI) have generally encouraged people to log temps. I have yet to see a permanent, stationary cache description that says "Feel free to log this one as a find as many times as you like."
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the new event rules, logging temp caches might be a thing of the past anyway (assuming only one attended counts as a find)
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
I think with the new event rules, logging temp caches might be a thing of the past anyway (assuming only one attended counts as a find)

This isn't the case currently. You can attend an event more than once and your totals will continue to increase.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. I have only seen temp caches at a couple events (usually the day long at one park style) and thought of them as a great way of testing new ideas. Counting them as a find would tend to keep people interested in doing them.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: