MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

31 Days of Geocaching and Geocaching Get Outdoors Days

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gat R Done
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: 31 Days of Geocaching and Geocaching Get Outdoors Days Reply with quote

Geocaching HQ will be rolling out three major July/August promotions to encourage people to explore the world around them with friends and family through geocaching.

July 13th: Geocaching Get Outdoors Day
Saturday July 13th - It's time to warm up for 31 Days of Geocaching. Join us geocachers from around the world on Saturday July 13th to earn a worldwide souvenir. Log a "Found it" on any geocache type and earn a unique souvenir for Geocaching Get Outdoors Day for your Geocaching profile.

August 1 - 31st: 31 Days of Geocaching
Geocaching HQ is challenging people to accomplish a geocaching streak throughout the entire month of August. It's 31 Days of Geocaching. Each day geocachers will have the opportunity to earn a unique calendar styled souvenir representing the date, by logging a Found it or Attended for a geocache.

August 17: International Geocaching Day - The crown jewel of geocaching souvenirs remains the annual International Geocaching Day Souvenir. Join hundreds of thousands of geocachers around the world on International Geocaching Day on August 17. Anyone logging a Found it or Attended on August 17th, will earn the International Geocaching Day souvenir. The unique souvenirs will be styled in the theme of the 31 Days of Geocaching souvenirs. It'll also count at the 31 Days of Geocaching promotions souvenir for the 17th of August.

Watch the Geocaching HQ Weekly Newsletter for more details next week!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get a souvenir? Gee, thanks Groundspeak.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaddya want, a medal? Wink
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is an option - yes!!!
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will make the 70 souvenir challenge easier. Like them or hate them, souvenirs are harmless.
sir_kdizzzle
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a strange move allowing people to get 31 souvenirs so easily. It took me 1.5 years (and travel to 9 states) to obtain 13 souvenirs, but can get 31 more in 1 month just for simply finding a cache per day? I would prefer to get 1 souvenir for the accomplishment of finding a cache every day in August.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
This will make the 70 souvenir challenge easier. Like them or hate them, souvenirs are harmless.

I don't love them OR hate them. To me they're just a non-factor. They add nothing to the game and don't bother me either. I DO believe it was a waste of Groundspeak's time though.
Father-of-five
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_kdizzzle wrote:
It seems like a strange move allowing people to get 31 souvenirs so easily. It took me 1.5 years (and travel to 9 states) to obtain 13 souvenirs, but can get 31 more in 1 month just for simply finding a cache per day? I would prefer to get 1 souvenir for the accomplishment of finding a cache every day in August.

Aggreed. It would be a more meaningful souvenir to have earned.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_kdizzzle wrote:

How do you know they haven't created such a souvenir? Is there a requirement for them to announce everything?

Austin
sir_kdizzzle
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
sir_kdizzzle wrote:

How do you know they haven't created such a souvenir? Is there a requirement for them to announce everything?

Austin

Maybe this does exist, I guess anything is possible. My comment was suggesting that i would rather get 1 meaningful souvenir than get 31 meaningless souvenirs.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this almost makes be want to avoid caching in August a little bit. I'd have more of those "daily"souvenirs than I have states.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_kdizzzle wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
sir_kdizzzle wrote:

Austin

Maybe this does exist, I guess anything is possible. My comment was suggesting that i would rather get 1 meaningful souvenir than get 31 meaningless souvenirs.

While I agree with the sentiment, the truth is what makes a souvenir meaningful or not is in the eye (or heart) of the recipient. While there are certainly plenty of souvenirs I'd rather see (such as a separate souvenir for each Minnesota county), that doesn't mean they shouldn't do what they have done with this set.

Personally, I think the state souvenirs are about as dull as they come. But I still go after them when I can.

Austin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: