MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metro bomb scare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Horseback Hideaway series is all on land owned by Xcel. I looked it up on the Scott county website not that long ago.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
The Horseback Hideaway series is all on land owned by Xcel. I looked it up on the Scott county website not that long ago.

Well then, I guess you get to deal with me if you get caught back there!
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
That is actually interesting to know - thanks for the link.
It doesn't look that link will be useful for a certain puzzle cache though.

It might be helpful for a future puzzle though Wink
Gat R Done
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you encounter something at a cache site that needs imediate attention by a Reviewer, you should either post a Needs Archive log or email one of us directly with information.

From the Knowledge Books: http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=56

Quote:
If you feel that a cache listing needs to archived, log onto the cache page, use "log your visit" and select the log type, "needs archived". Please explain in your log why the listing needs to be archived. This log will be received by both the cache owner and a local reviewer. The log will not automatically cause the listing to be archived. You may not see any public response to your log.

Please use this log only when there are serious problems with the cache or its location. Do not use it if the cache needs repairs, or you didn't find it, or the location made you uncomfortable. Please consider first contacting the owner of the geocache with your concerns. Use the profile link next to the cache owner's name at the top of the cache page to send an email, as well as logging to the cache page about your visit.

Any "No Trespassing" signs should be considered a serious problem with the location, as well as nails, screws, drilled holes, and such. Please be a good steward of the game and report these issues, rather than just ignore the problem.

In case no has noticed, I review every NA log and take appropriate action. One thing I do look at is if the person who posted the NA log visited the site, either recently or in the past. If the NA was 'armchaired', I may not take action.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the cache in a previous post was archived today. There are 5 more in the series, plus a final. All give the same parking lot, which happens to be Fed-Ex's lot. There were no signs there when I did them either. I thought I heard the CO had moved out of state, but I also heard he had some of his caches adopted. Not sure about that tho.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am bit fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing - this would be an undesirable log?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3ef68dae-f466-48ab-8426-8cc145883cfe

(FYI - according to logs this cache was under review at the time and apparently was deemed ok)
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification - I'd agree that all of the horseback hideaways should be archived on the same basis as the first.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
While I'm sure the cache owner meant no harm, I'm also sure the cache owner failed to notify the owner of the sign (either the local municipality or MnDOT) of the cache's existence, so the local PD wasn't aware of the cache. I could quote the guideline requiring permission here but it would be a waste of breath as everyone knows it.

Umm...this doesn't square with the original post.

MN.Fruitcake wrote:
The cache was apparently identified by MnDOT as a geocache before it was blown up.

Why would MnDOT identify it as a geocache if they didn't have some reason to know it was a geocache? Sounds to me like proper permission was obtained.

Austin

I take it to mean a crew working for MNDOT found it and "played" with it. Just because a crew found it and decided to have fun with it does not mean with was approved by MNDOT...

I see...and he did that while the bomb squad watched?
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What recommendations do cachers have for marking micros such as small bison tubes, bison tubes with taped on magnets, and match holders as geocaches. What sticks the best in Minnesota's extreme weather? I'm sure paint would be the best but it might be a bit hard to paint geocache on a small bison tube. Barn walls are more my forte. Also, for those of us who would like to do modifications in the "field" what works best?

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
While I'm sure the cache owner meant no harm, I'm also sure the cache owner failed to notify the owner of the sign (either the local municipality or MnDOT) of the cache's existence, so the local PD wasn't aware of the cache. I could quote the guideline requiring permission here but it would be a waste of breath as everyone knows it.

MN.Fruitcake wrote:
The cache was apparently identified by MnDOT as a geocache before it was blown up.

Why would MnDOT identify it as a geocache if they didn't have some reason to know it was a geocache? Sounds to me like proper permission was obtained.

Austin

I take it to mean a crew working for MNDOT found it and "played" with it. Just because a crew found it and decided to have fun with it does not mean with was approved by MNDOT...

Is there a particular reason you want to nit-pick this to death?
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

It just strikes me that there is a lot of "it must be the cache owner's fault" going on here (I did some myself). I'm no longer buying it.

Austin
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
dornole wrote:
I'd like reviewer direction as well. For example what am I to do with something like this?

http://coord.info/GC25P0J

I did not search for it because there seemed to be no legal access (literally wall to wall no trespassing signs when approaching from given parking coordinates) and recommended owner check on it. Looking through the logs it's a mix of others who didn't find, those who found while commenting about questionable legality and those who just found it. ("Did they come some other way, am I crazy or overreacting?" was my thought so I did not post an archive or maintenance log).

Almost wish there was a "dodgy" button like with favorites to collect opinions on placements of questionable legality and/or chance of causing problems for geocaching locally.

What would be the best approach for something like this?

I would start by posting a NM log...the owner has not been on in almost a year...if nothing happens with it in a month of so after NM...post NA...
The CO moved around a year ago. I have seen similar "no trespassing" comments for other caches in this series. That's why I haven't come for these.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

MN.Fruitcake wrote:

Austin

Wink +1
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

From the Knowledge Books: http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=56

If you feel that a cache listing needs to archived, log onto the cache page, use "log your visit" and select the log type, "needs archived". Please explain in your log why the listing needs to be archived. This log will be received by both the cache owner and a local reviewer. The log will not automatically cause the listing to be archived. You may not see any public response to your log.

Please use this log only when there are serious problems with the cache or its location.

Arrow Do not use it if the cache needs repairs, or you didn't find it, or the location made you uncomfortable.

Please consider first contacting the owner of the geocache with your concerns. Use the profile link next to the cache owner's name at the top of the cache page to send an email, as well as logging to the cache page about your visit.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
schmittfamily wrote:

Well then, I guess you get to deal with me if you get caught back there!

Sounds like a good venue for WeekNIGHT caching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: