MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sakatah Bike Trail Archived Caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seldon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Sakatah Bike Trail Archived Caches Reply with quote

I've just finished archiving most of my caches that were on the Sakatah Bike Trail between Faribault and Mankato. A few of the larger or more interesting (to me) are still out there. Some of you perhaps are curious as to why, so here are some reasons:

- Most of the logs were in bison tubes and matchholders. Because of the nature of the containers, most of these were exposed on the outside of the container, out in the elements. I replaced every o-ring and log a year ago, but found on picking them up, that almost every o-ring was gone, and log wet. I had hoped for better, but lesson learned.
- Replacing every o-ring and log every year would be very tedious.
- This is good caching territory, and archiving them opens up large stretches to other cachers to place their own.
- Many of the caches had deteriorated, as is expected in the elements, and lost much of the original luster.
- Some of the more interesting containers just "disappeared", though I kind of expected that, also.
- Many cachers have enjoyed the trail, and this opens it up to new caches, so you might come back for another go.

I had mixed feelings on archiving - I knew it was the right thing for me to do, though it takes away the opportunity for new cachers to the area to enjoy all the finds. I had a great time making and placing them, and enjoyed the kind logs and comments from finders.

There were a few that I couldn't find when picking them up, so may or may not still be there.

On a side note - I just submitted "Dirty Pool Resurrected", which is about the 4th incarnation of it, a caching miracle of sorts, in Morristown.

And now back to your regular programming...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about rebuilding the power trail with 165 new .30 ammocans? I liked the creative containers a lot but I could easily live with ammocans instead. Wink
Catzilla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: We were just about to finish up the trail this Saturday Reply with quote

I'm glad we grabbed your great caches from faribault to Elysian when we did! We have been planning to go out this Saturday, June 22nd to do the rest of the trail (Elysian to Mankato) and were surprised, and sad to see, that your great caches had be archived. We can understand why, but we were really looking forward to getting them all. We are still going to do the trail this Saturday and find the caches that are out there.

It is a great trail and we hope it is not long before someone comes along and starts filling it up again with caches. We will miss your wonderfully creative caches seldon! Thanks for all the fun we had on this trail! We have had a great time looking for your caches here. You just never know what you're going to find when you are looking for a seldon cache! Very Happy
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely understandable, but still darn! We did the eastern end of the trail a year or two ago and always planned to come back to do more. We loved the creative containers and they made the trail a lot of fun. Thanks for setting a high bar on a power trail!
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting them out. It was a fun couple of days trying to finish the trail. Hopefully someone else will come in and add some more.
One thing I noticed while doing the paul bunyan trail up north is that waterproof match holders are not waterproof if placed upside down. I'd bet 75% had wet logs, so people turned them upside down, which actually makes it worse. If any water does make it past the washer, then it seeps inside. Not so with an upright container. Same thing with PB jars.
Girldog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were great fun to do. we haven't finished the trail and i guess we won't but thanks for some great memories.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to here about this.

I was fortune enough to complete 99% of the trail with diffrent groups and one solo trip. Thank You for your hard work getting them out and maintenance. I enjoyed the trail your caches and the many clever names you gave your hides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: