MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

street addresses to waypoints

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: street addresses to waypoints Reply with quote

normally i'd just e-mail a question like this to rickrich. here's hoping i'll be able to resume pestering him in the near future with my simple questions.

i was looking for a web resource that will take my mother's street address and convert it to a waypoint that i can plug into gc.com to determine which geocache is closest to her home. does something like this exist? it will helpful in planning a little afternoon geocaching on thursday.
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: here you go... Reply with quote

Of course Rickrich has such a shell script! Wink

"geo-code, a shell script to geocode (convert) street addresses to latitude and longitude; and geo-waypoint, a shell script to enter a waypoint into a MySQL database. These tools are very handy if you have a GPS and the GpsDrive software."

Located on his webpage-
http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/

Hope that helps!

-J.T.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That or else there's

http://www.geocode.com/

Not to by any means belittle rickrich's stuff, it's just another option.
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not computer savvy at all, so i am not sure what i have to do to run rickrich's program. if it is the least bit complicated, i am sure i won't be able to do it.

i tried geocode, which after you register, only gives you 100 conversions, evidently, although i'm not sure if it would prevent you from registering again under a new e-mail address. i am going to the summit brewery on tuesday, let's see how well it did in converting the address to coordinates.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Here is what we do... Reply with quote

The CD that came with our GarminV does that for us. You can locate addresses in the computer and create a waypoint and uplink it to the GPS.It has worked well many times-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: