MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 Boundary Waters Double Tour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could do that weekend also. Very interested in this. We did MAYMAYGWISHI about that time of year and it was absolutely gorgeous out there.
Muskie Hunters
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to join this trip as I can never seem to find the time to dedicate to these caches. September is a busy time for me but if a plan were in place, I would make it happen somehow. Sounds like a blast!
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love the chance to get these virtuals. I usually don't plan this far out, but I can certainly put it on my calendar. We should have a flashmob while we're up there before we launch.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weekend of the 21st/22nd should work for me.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I am in (90%) for the 21st and 22nd. I'd be happy to host an event if someone else wants to plan the logistics of the paddling. If nothing materializes I won't be headed that direction, probably camp in SD instead.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doublemoose is in. But unless we get participation in the planning and logistics we might consider some other adventure. We've both already found the virtuals. We would love to visit them again and provide guidance and even provide spots in boats (I have a canoe and two kayaks) but neither one of us want to do the detailed planning.

As mentioned, my ONLY option is the weekend of 9/21, Friday 9/20 through Monday 9/23. Speaking for Doublemoose, I think he's ok for this weekend or the weekend before, but because of work does not have options for any weekends that fall at the begin or end of a month.
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any more thought about doing this next month? I am still interested & mentioned it yesterday as QIFT, goldribbon & I cached Lake Byllesby. I'm trying to recall who else expressed interest last year after agategirl76, 4nhand & I attempted Kelly Jack (aborted due to high water levels after all the spring rain up there).
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently was up there to do these two caches. Here is some info for those who are attempting to do these. It is possible to both in one day if you start at 0600. If you want to enjoy your time in the BWCA, I would plan on spending one day on each.

Maps: I use W.A. Fisher Maps. You will need map F-5 for Mystical Dolman Rock and F-6 for Kelly-Jack.

Canoes: I you don't have your own here are a few options:
* Sawbill Canoe Outfitters is at Entry Point 38.
* Sawtooth Outfitters is in Tofte at the entrance to Sawbill Trail.

Permits: Day permits are available free of charge at all entry points. This is a requirement for entry into the BWCA. For those brave souls that was a true experience, Overnight reservations can be made online or at the Tofte Ranger Station.

Camping: There are two campgrounds closeby to these virtuals. Baker Lake Campground is near Entry Point 39 and is listed as rustic and free. Sawbill Lake Campground has a fee and is located at Entry Point 38.

For Mystical Dolman Rock: Put in at Entry Point 38. Paddle north up Sawbill Lake and go into the large bay on the western shore. There is a 13 rod portage at the end into Kelso River. Paddle west and then north in Kelso Lake. At the northern end of Kelso Lake there is a break in the reeds that leads up Kelso River towards Lujenida Lake. The cache is located on an island on the river.

For Kelly-Jack: Put in at Entry Point 39. Paddle west from the entry point to a 10 rod portage around some rapids. Kayaks might be able to make it through the rapids without scraping. There is a short river route through rocks until you hit the south end of Peterson Lake. Paddle north the entire length of the lake. There is a short spot between Peterson and Kelly Lake that requires you to get out and carry your watercraft. Continue NE until you reach the far end. You can leave your watercraft off to the side here and continue on foot up the 65 rod portage to Jack Lake. There is a small deer/geotrail at the other end that leads west towards the cache location.

Hope that this helps those that want to do these two caches but don't know where to start. I am willing to answer questions if you have any.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still open for a mid September trip but I refuse to plan it Wink
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd possibly be interested in doing it next year...too much going on with me right now to break away to do it...maybe Laughing
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd still be game for this on the weekend in question. Thanks BW for the great itinerary.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's not looking like this will be happening this year could someone please pick this up again next year? I'm a bit relieved this didn't happen since I'm out of commission but I sure hope it's a go next year!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My offer stands (for next year). The offer to join, guide, and provide boat, but not to plan. Next year is filling up. Someone had better suggest 2014 dates.
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
My offer stands (for next year). The offer to join, guide, and provide boat, but not to plan. Next year is filling up. Someone had better suggest 2014 dates.

This year has gotten crazy busy. I still really want to do this. I'd be willing to plan, but may need a little guidance! Shocked
GeoBex
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to help in the planning. Is fall the best time, after the Mosquitos? What about the big black flies?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: