MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visiting Minneapolis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brilang
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Visiting Minneapolis Reply with quote

Hi there fellow cachers! I will be visiting Minneapolis May 15-18 for a conference. My scheduled is packed every day with one exception - Wednesday May 15th. I will be landing at MSP around noon, and should be checked into my hotel by 1pm. I have to be back at the hotel (by MOA) for the conference reception by 7pm, including finding dinner somewhere on the way back. That gives me about a 6 hour window to go caching. I looked into renting a car, but they want $50 for a 6 hour rental!

I'm wondering if there's a local cacher or two who would have some free time on a Wednesday afternoon and who would be willing to take me to some caches, and possibly even go as far east as Wisconsin so I can cache in two states (and get the virtual souvenirs!). I would be willing to help pay for any gas used on this little excursion.

I'm hoping to be able to log a couple of earthcaches: Minnehaha Falls (http://coord.info/GC1ZTK0) and Lake St. Croix (http://coord.info/GC23CQB) look interesting at a quick glance of the map. After that, I'm not too picky. I'll be looking into the top-rated favorites in the area to see if there's any must-do caches near MOA that I might be able to snag before I leave on Saturday afternoon. Like I mentioned though, I'll be pretty busy with the conference.

Finally, a bit about me: I cache by the name of brilang. Real name: Brian. I live in Abbotsford, BC, Canada. This will be my first visit to the Minneapolis area.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
There is actually an event not too far from you on 5/15. GC4457X. That'd be good for your dinner plans.....

And you should get Mr. Little Guy's House while you are here.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're staying in/near the MOA there is http://coord.info/GC7B09 at the Mall itself. Most of the hotels there run shuttles to the mall whenever it is open. At the mall itself you can catch the Light rail that will take you into downtown Minneapolis (and I think it might get you semi-close to the Minehaha one you were wanting to do, I can't remember which stop is closest to that park) If the light rail looks like something you'd want to do I would only recommend not spending a ton of time near the Lake St. station and the Franklin St station, nothing "dangerous" per se, but those particular stops have more than their fair share of "interesting" folks.
brilang
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking I'm going to take about a 10 mile walk along the Mississippi from St. Anthony Falls area to Minnehaha falls area. How "safe" is that area during the daylight hours? I'm not too worried but I don't want to walk through a ton of homeless camps either. Anything I need to know about? Any "must do" caches along the river (either shore)? I can't stop for every cache along my intended route, so I've got to prioritize.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilang wrote:
I'm thinking I'm going to take about a 10 mile walk along the Mississippi from St. Anthony Falls area to Minnehaha falls area. How "safe" is that area during the daylight hours? I'm not too worried but I don't want to walk through a ton of homeless camps either. Anything I need to know about? Any "must do" caches along the river (either shore)? I can't stop for every cache along my intended route, so I've got to prioritize.

I've never felt unsafe in that area on either side of the river. I suppose harm could be lurking at night but I'd think you'd be pretty safe if you're on the sidewalk and trails.
brilang
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there during daylight hours - have to be back near MOA by 7pm.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilang wrote:

That is a pretty safe area. There should be a lot of biking and jogging traffic through there, which discourages any hoodlums from hanging around. I've never felt unsafe in that area, even after dark.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch your back side if you go into the river bottom on the St. Paul side from about the Ford bridge down stream to Hidden Falls and into Crosby Farm. You could get multiple offers. Laughing
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about caches along that route to "must do" though the favorites should give you a good idea. You will have good eats on both ends however, good coffee at Wilde Roast by St Anthony and Sea Salt right in the Minnehaha Falls Park is tasty seafood if you like seafood. NOT the expected hot dog stand : )
brilang
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where I'll be going caching. I ended up renting a car, so I'll be swinging east to hit at least one cache in Wisconsin before returning to Minneapolis. I'm also planning to attend the Geocache Outing @ Champps! Minnesota (http://coord.info/GC4457X) for supper before heading to my conference.
I'll have a couple of trackables that want to head to Europe with me if anyone can help out...
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a car, see our cache of the month listings for some great ones! many not to be missed! Personally, on the east side of the Twin Cities I would do The Sword in the Stone and Lair of the Three Headed Woman (even if you DNF the latter). Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: