MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boat Trailer Title??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilbeardy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Boat Trailer Title?? Reply with quote

Question Question Question I just today pulled an old boat trailer out of a field, so I wouldn't have to lug my boat in my Uncle's truck. But there's a problem I got the old license plate, but no title. If this helps any, the plate's number is: B82-308 from the 1972 to 73. Is there an easy way to obtain a title for a boat trailer. Question Question Question Question Question [/img]
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's like a canoe or kayak, you need a license but might not need a title. I could be wrong..
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there would be a problem with asking at a license bureau...unless that requires a major trip.

Site: http://www.dmv.org/mn-minnesota/other-types-of-vehicles.php#-Trailers-

Trailers
If your trailer fits one of these two rules:
    It weighs less than 3,000 pounds (including its load), or
    It's an agricultural trailer weighing less than 10,000 pounds (including its load)

then it doesn't have to be titled.

Registering your trailer also depends on weight:
    Under 3,000 pounds―Requires a one-time registration decal that fits on the tongue of the trailer. It costs $55 for the permanent registration, plus additional processing and sales tax fees.
    Trailers larger than 3,000 pounds require plates and must be renewed annually. Fees are based on weight.

Contact your deputy registrar for help in determining exact fees.

Also, the registration sticker (as opposed to the plates) could cause problems outside of Minnesota if you intend to use it across state lines. The sticker is legal in all 50 states, but that doesn't mean troopers in other states know that.

Austin
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

throw the plate away and license it as a homemade trailer
lilbeardy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
I don't think there would be a problem with asking at a license bureau...unless that requires a major trip.

Site: http://www.dmv.org/mn-minnesota/other-types-of-vehicles.php#-Trailers-

Trailers
If your trailer fits one of these two rules:
    It weighs less than 3,000 pounds (including its load), or
    It's an agricultural trailer weighing less than 10,000 pounds (including its load)

then it doesn't have to be titled.

Registering your trailer also depends on weight:
    Under 3,000 pounds―Requires a one-time registration decal that fits on the tongue of the trailer. It costs $55 for the permanent registration, plus additional processing and sales tax fees.
    Trailers larger than 3,000 pounds require plates and must be renewed annually. Fees are based on weight.

Contact your deputy registrar for help in determining exact fees.

Also, the registration sticker (as opposed to the plates) could cause problems outside of Minnesota if you intend to use it across state lines. The sticker is legal in all 50 states, but that doesn't mean troopers in other states know that.

Austin

CASE CLOSED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: