MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Search for Mandy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Search for Mandy Reply with quote

If you are looking for caching places today, please consider caching in wooded areas in Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, Chaska and areas further west. And anywhere you go caching please keep your eyes open for Mandy Matula who has been missing since early Thursday morning. My family knows her family as our kids were all the same ages and in school, band, scouts, and sports together. I know cachers are in unusual areas and have great eyes!! If you see anything related, call 911. Hug your kids!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Search area map released Reply with quote

I thought I'd forward this from the EPPD, there's a google map for identified areas, if there are cachers nearby who can aid in searching. Like many others, I've checked our property and every pocket of woods I've ever explored nearby (we live less than half a mile from all the key Eden Prairie sites involved in this horrible story and the search has been intensive through the whole neighborhood) but it looks like they are also focusing in other counties now. The map link below is quite helpful and specific. FYI.

dornole

Eden Prairie, Minn. – Eden Prairie Police continue to actively investigate the whereabouts of 24-year-old Mandy Marie Matula, who has been missing since the evening of May 1.

Police have narrowed down areas of interest in Carver, Wright, Stearns, Sherburne and Benton counties, and are releasing maps of targeted search areas where Matula could be located.

To view the search area maps, visit edenprairie.org/searchmap.

Residents within these targeted search areas are asked to search their own property and neighborhoods, including nearby wooded and open areas.

In addition, Police continue to ask that all Eden Prairie residents search their own property and neighborhoods, including nearby wooded and open areas.

While searching, Police remind the public to be safe, search only during daylight hours, avoid public roads and be respectful of private property.

Police continue to ask anyone with information on Matula’s whereabouts to call the Eden Prairie Police Department at 952-949-6200.

No further information about the investigation is available at this time. Future updates will be posted at edenprairie.org/missingperson.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea to post the map. Thanks. I think geocachers are great examples of people who can help as we tend to travel into the wilder areas. Please think of planning a geocaching trip into the areas indicated on the map.

Also, there is a new facebook page devoted to searching for all three women recently missing from the Twin Cities. You can find it by searching on facebook for "Minnesota United".
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a meeting with the EPPD this morning and he said some geocaches have been found and reported by searchers (ammo can in MN River valley). He is glad to hear how thorough the searchers are, so all is good. I gathered the ammo can was checked out, discovered geocaching logs, and replaced. Might be good to check on caches in the search areas. No stone unturned.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to again draw your attention to the ongoing search for Eden Prairie's missing Mandy Matula. When you are out caching, please walk an extra 100 feet to check an unusual spot, or around another corner. Organized searches have been focusing on Eden Prairie, Victoria, Chanhassen, Chaska, and the larger St. Cloud area.

Please check your property, including nearby wooded and open areas. If you find anything unusual or suspicious, please contact the Eden Prairie Police Department at 952-949-6200, or call 911.

Facebook pages: search for "Finding Mandy Matula", "Minnesota United", and "Find Mandy - Hanger Crew Communications"

Bracelets are for sale at EP Power Nutrition, Brunswick Zone XL, Sanctuary Salonspa, and the American Legion in Chanhassen.

Let's bring Mandy home!
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police Ask Outdoor Enthusiasts to be Mindful of Case. I'd like to bump this back up and remind everyone that Mandy Matula is still missing and is actively being searched for. The search area continues to be along the Mississippi River in the Sartell area including the River in Stearns and Benton Counties. Please think of Mandy while you are searching for caches in these areas, and help bring the family closure by finding Mandy. Here is a link from a press release by the Eden Prairie Police Department today. http://www.edenprairie.org/index.aspx?recordid=652&page=1184
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all who kept an extra eye out for the remains of Mandy Matula this summer and fall. Remains were found yesterday - Saturday afternoon and have been confirmed today to be that of Mandy Matula. The remains were found by a hiker in a park along the Mississippi in Sterns County in a shallow grave.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
Thank you to all who kept an extra eye out for the remains of Mandy Matula this summer and fall. Remains were found yesterday - Saturday afternoon and have been confirmed today to be that of Mandy Matula. The remains were found by a hiker in a park along the Mississippi in Sterns County in a shallow grave.

That's good news. But how does someone accidentally find a shallow grave. It must have been REALLY shallow.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

That's good news. But how does someone accidentally find a shallow grave. It must have been REALLY shallow.
I'm not sure of details but StarTribune reported that animals had found her first.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
KRedEP wrote:

Could've been just a few inches deep. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_a_shallow_grave_mean
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that this park was searched more than a few times over the spring and summer. I would assume that after the frost, the foliage that was hiding things was gone. I'm impressed this person was paying attention enough to investigate.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this story didn't end happily. Our thoughts go out to her family and friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: