MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survey about Geocaching Experiences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheetah90
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Survey about Geocaching Experiences Reply with quote

Dear MN Geocaching players,

I am a geography student from University of Minnesota, Twin Cities and a long interested Geocaching fan! I am not sure if it is appropriate to post here (correct me if it is not) but we cordially invite you to take our survey http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K5DDS6Y focusing on identifying what problems geocaching players encountered in the game and what technological solutions could be made to facilitate the community's collaboration.

In our Social and Collaborative Computing's course project,we are asked to choose a target group to conduct a empirical study and come up with better technological tool design to address their common problem and enhance community's collaboration. Since my teammate, Brandon Lehner and I are both fans of Geocaching and had a some experiences playing it, we decided to take Geocaching players as our target group. We have created a survey to solicit players feedback on specific problems they may encountered during the game and would greatly appreciated if the member in the MN Geocaching community could fill that out. Our ultimate goal is to come up with an appropriate design of online community for Geocaching players at the University of Minnesota!

Should you have any questions, please contact feel free to contact me at lin0344@umn.edu Smile
Thanks for your help,
Sincerely
Allen Lin
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we're studying now at the University level? A strange world we live in.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interactive Media & Game Development Shocked
cheetah90
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
This is what we're studying now at the University level? A strange world we live in.

You cannot imagine how wildly research ideas are formulated these days...At least doing research on your own interests would be more self-satisfying :0
cheetah90
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagleboo wrote:
Interactive Media & Game Development Shocked

Yes! And we also want to make the geocaching experiences more interesting and collaborative.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geography today is not just drawing maps and knowing capitals of countries. A better way to think about it is that it is the study of how people interact with their geophysical surroundings (and by extension their cyberspace surroundings) and each other. One example I remember reading about is a study which investigated how people make use of the downtown Minneapolis skyway and sidewalk system and whether it could be made more useful and/or efficient. In this case, if one considers the obvious traditional geography connection involved in geocaching I can see how a project like this could be a good learning experience.
cheetah90
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
Geography today is not just drawing maps and knowing capitals of countries. A better way to think about it is that it is the study of how people interact with their geophysical surroundings (and by extension their cyberspace surroundings) and each other. One example I remember reading about is a study which investigated how people make use of the downtown Minneapolis skyway and sidewalk system and whether it could be made more useful and/or efficient. In this case, if one considers the obvious traditional geography connection involved in geocaching I can see how a project like this could be a good learning experience.

thanks for backing us! Yes, geography, as one of the oldest discipline, used to be reluctant to adapt to modern technology and research ethos. But now we are moving fast. One obvious direction, is as you mentioned, with the cyberspace, which is something I like and work on Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I don't necessarily support you. It's that when I think of geography, the game of geocaching doesn't seem important. But then most people I know couldn't name more than a couple of state capitals to save their life let alone name mountain ranges or bodies of water.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope geography is more than memorizing state capitals and identifying rivers!

I think it's great these students are taking something of interest to them to use relevant tools and have something tangible to research. Sometimes its about the process. Good luck to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: