MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DNSL?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: DNSL? Reply with quote

I've been seeing DNSL on a few online logs, and I'm just wondering if it means what I think it means (Did Not Sign Log).

I'm usually of the camp that if you didn't sign the log, you didn't find the cache - there are occasions where I won't sign a log, and I'll put a lengthy explanation in my online log describing why (log full; log too tightly rolled and impossible to remove from the cache when it's 0 degrees with -20 windchill; I left my pen in my car way at the other end of the park), and I'll state that if the CO wants me to go back and actually sign the log, they are more than welcome to shoot me an email saying so, and then delete my log if I don't comply.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how I would read it. Did not sign log.

These are caches around here right? The only other potential acronym could be another language's TFTC, such as the French version MPLC?
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://coord.info/GC460VR - this is the one I found today with "TNLN, DNSL" in the log. When I ran the PQ yesterday, there was only one other finder for the cache, and when I found it today, there was only that finder on the log sheet. It was 2-3 hours before I got home and logged my finds from this afternoon, so the person with the DNSL could have found it after I did but before I logged it online. The only way to the cache today was either through a foot-deep puddle, or by walking through a big pile of dog poo to get to a fence where you could side-step the puddle (which I did, since there was a big puddle as well as ice and snow to get rid of the dog poo on my boots).
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was researching the DNSL acronyms and found this in Geolex and got a good laugh.

Drunken Bee Dance The movements of a geocacher, trying to pinpoint Ground Zero, chasing the directional arrow first one direction and then another, has been termed the Drunken Bee Dance.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Nano Signed Log? Laughing
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the quickest answer would be to email the guy and ask, but that takes all of the fun out of it.

After reading several logs, some say DNSL, some, TNLN, some TFTC, and some SL. I did not see any SL and DNSL on the same log.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that rarely signs the log. It used to upset me, but then I remembered, this is just a game. Everyone plays it different. signing the log may one of the only rules groundspeak lists, but why should I care if someone chooses not to sign. Doesn't bother me anymore
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should banish him and anyone who does not write down his score in golf should be banned from ever playing again. And if you double dribble - off with his head!

This is serious stuff lives are at stake Wink
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been known to delete online logs if they name didn't occur in a periodic physical log review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I've been known to delete online logs if they name didn't occur in a periodic physical log review.

Me too. And particularly on high terrain caches. It's my game, right?
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go on record and have in the past - I would never do such a thing as delete any log.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST11 wrote:
I will go on record and have in the past - I would never do such a thing as delete any log.

Why not? The fact that there is a delete button is because their are appropriate times to delete logs...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would be deleting a lot of log entries. I receive all kinds of, didn't have a pencil or out of ink postings. Why would I delete those logs?
It's tupperware in the woods, if they say they found it that's good enough for me.

Nope I refuse to delete any log and I never ever browse through log sheets, I replace them if wet and simply toss the old one without a glance.

For me the question would be why would I ever do such a thing?
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST11 wrote:
For me the question would be why would I ever do such a thing?

Ignoring this exact situation, you might delete one because someone posted a photo of the hiding spot, or gave details about where it was posted...because they became abusive towards you or other cachers in the log....those are all valid reasons to delete them.

However with respect to this exact reason, as everyone has said, it's a game and people can play it the way they want....the way I want to play it is by the books, if you found the cache, you should have signed the log, or at the least gone out of your way to email me and sent me a photo of you with the cache, or described the hiding spot....the rules say that a signature is required, so I enforce that. If you don't want to, that is fine, I don't have a problem with that, but you asked why, and these are my reasons.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in signing the log, but I also know there's sometimes extenuating circumstances (didn't have a pen, couldn't get the log out, log was wet and unsignable, etc.) when you actually had the cache in your hand, and had the cache open so you would be able to sign the log if you could do so (I found another one this weekend where you had to solve a puzzle in order to get the container open) you should at least explain as much in your online log.

Otherwise, something like "DNSL" just leads to discussions like this one. Did that person just see the cache 20' up in a tree while they remained on the ground, and still claim the find? Did they see the obvious cache location across a foot-deep snow-melt puddle with the only dry path through a big pile of dog poo, and still claim the find?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: