MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samsung Galaxy Tab

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Samsung Galaxy Tab Reply with quote

Anyone caching with a tablet in the field yet? I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" for caching in the field. I won't use for GPS for for cache lookups. On the surface it seems like a nice idea but I see it getting in the way of a tried and true process (old style caching).
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have pretty much always cached with an iPad since late 2011. Have had no trouble with it - including in multiple countries. Biggest problem is the old iPads aren't easy to read in the sun light. Note: not all tablets have a true GPS chip in them. It needs to have a GPS chip.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cached with older technology (PDAs) and newer stuff (Blackberry and Android phones), but in the end I much prefer my GPS. The phone is nice to have if you're in a jam and need to look up the cache page, but I still like just following the arrow from cache to cache...
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still like just following the arrow from cache to cache...

Same here and I have a Galaxy 7 Tab loaded with GDAK, c:geo, GeoBeagle, and Backcountry Navigator Pro. (Just a little overkill.) Laughing I have yet to figure out the latter program.

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the tab to look up cache information is awesome. But using the Android phone or tab for navigating (following the arrow) stinks. I will always keep the GPS.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the gps for nav and the tab for info.

Only problem with the G7 is the sunlight and the screen but one can cope with that. I also have a G10 which also works well.
Yes they work very well and I use Geo buddy and Cgeo for the most part as the compass seems to work the best on these apps

I have tried Neon but dumped it soon after initial trials as the navigation is poor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: