MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to GroundSpeak HQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it odd that someone as dedicated as Sir_zman is and the time and effort he puts in to the podcaches, which are fun for anyone, but especially us in the North land, promoting the very thing that give these people a comfy wage and office that they cannot even take the time to say hello ? But then maybe I'm missing something in this thread ? Shocked Question
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
I find it odd that someone as dedicated as Sir_zman is and the time and effort he puts in to the podcaches, which are fun for anyone, but especially us in the North land, promoting the very thing that give these people a comfy wage and office that they cannot even take the time to say hello ? But then maybe I'm missing something in this thread ? Shocked Question

Well, that may be pushing it a bit...it sounds like one or two people will say hello, but thats about it. As far as them letting me do a recording onsite, it would be cool, it'd let them have an opportunity to more directly communicate with people who listen to my show, and it'd be good free PR, but if they choose to not take advantage of it, that's their choice. I'll still shoot a video outside, and if they let me, I'll get a video of me signing the log book inside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going on a cruise early this summer that ends in Vancouver, so we are delaying our return home by a couple days and renting a car to make the venture over here to do this. I hope it isn't a big disappointment! I scheduled an appointment for a Tuesday afternoon at 2pm, and this is the reply I got, which sounds kind of nice:

Quote:
Hi Lisa,

I would be more than happy to schedule a visit for that Tuesday.

Below are some important details regarding your visit.

DATE/TIME: Your visit has been scheduled for June 4th at 2pm. If you arrive in Fremont before 2pm, there are several caches close to the Lily Pad placed by members of the local geocaching community.

During your time at Groundspeak, you will have the opportunity to sign the official HQ Geocache Logbook, visit with some of the Lackeys, take a photo in the photo booth, trade Trackables, pick up a souvenir or two, and perhaps meet other geocachers.

A reminder that we cannot provide full office tours, as Groundspeak HQ is a working office. We want to be sure that the Groundspeak Lackeys and the Geo-Hamsters (who power our web servers) are able to work effectively to serve the geocaching community. Instead, we’ve gone to great lengths to decorate our lobby, and will make you feel very welcome while you’re here.

LOCATION: (figured I shouldn't put that here since you are technically supposed to make an appointment to get the correct location)

HELPFUL TIPS: When you get to the elevators, head up to the 3rd floor. If you are driving, you will find metered and free 2-hour street parking available nearby. There are also several pay-to-park lots near the office. If you are taking public transportation, you can use the Trip Planner to plan your bus route. If you are walking, just follow your GPS!

We are looking forward to your visit! Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.

Happy Geocaching!

Kindly,

Carly

Did you all get a nice note like that too and then felt brushed off when you were there or do you think they've made recent improvements? I guess what I'm referring to most is this: "Instead, we’ve gone to great lengths to decorate our lobby, and will make you feel very welcome while you’re here."

I hope this isn't a huge disappointment, but we also want to try to pick up 7 Washington virtuals while we are there, so it won't be a total loss anyway... Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
We are going on a cruise early this summer that ends in Vancouver, so we are delaying our return home by a couple days and renting a car to make the venture over here to do this. I hope it isn't a big disappointment! I scheduled an appointment for a Tuesday afternoon at 2pm, and this is the reply I got, which sounds kind of nice:

Quote:
Hi Lisa,

I would be more than happy to schedule a visit for that Tuesday.

Below are some important details regarding your visit.

DATE/TIME: Your visit has been scheduled for June 4th at 2pm. If you arrive in Fremont before 2pm, there are several caches close to the Lily Pad placed by members of the local geocaching community.

During your time at Groundspeak, you will have the opportunity to sign the official HQ Geocache Logbook, visit with some of the Lackeys, take a photo in the photo booth, trade Trackables, pick up a souvenir or two, and perhaps meet other geocachers.

A reminder that we cannot provide full office tours, as Groundspeak HQ is a working office. We want to be sure that the Groundspeak Lackeys and the Geo-Hamsters (who power our web servers) are able to work effectively to serve the geocaching community. Instead, we’ve gone to great lengths to decorate our lobby, and will make you feel very welcome while you’re here.

LOCATION: (figured I shouldn't put that here since you are technically supposed to make an appointment to get the correct location)

HELPFUL TIPS: When you get to the elevators, head up to the 3rd floor. If you are driving, you will find metered and free 2-hour street parking available nearby. There are also several pay-to-park lots near the office. If you are taking public transportation, you can use the Trip Planner to plan your bus route. If you are walking, just follow your GPS!

We are looking forward to your visit! Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.

Happy Geocaching!

Kindly,

Carly

Did you all get a nice note like that too and then felt brushed off when you were there or do you think they've made recent improvements? I guess what I'm referring to most is this: "Instead, we’ve gone to great lengths to decorate our lobby, and will make you feel very welcome while you’re here."

I hope this isn't a huge disappointment, but we also want to try to pick up 7 Washington virtuals while we are there, so it won't be a total loss anyway... Smile

Must be a form letter. I got the same when we planned our visit, except for the change date and time. It was when we were there when we got disappointed. Maybe our visit was a fluke.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks familiar...

The Theo Chocolate factory is nearby - for non-geocaching we would recommend looking into that tour. The underground tour downtown was our daughter's highlight of Seattle so we are required too suggest that.
The WSGA website has a list of recommended Seattle caches, we would recommend looking into that.
If one of the virtuals you are looking at is "North ... to Alaska" - we recommend the nearby multi "where it all started". It is way less gross than "double bubble toil and trouble". Never mind the favorite points.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Must be a form letter. I got the same when we planned our visit, except for the change date and time. It was when we were there when we got disappointed. Maybe our visit was a fluke.

That is a bummer it is a form letter, though I do understand the need for one - it just seemed very personable, and a lot of recent logs have mentioned meeting Carly personally at their visit, so I was hoping maybe she was a new face.

It does seem that most of the logs are very complementary, even on the day you were there (except for you and your mom), so maybe you guys misinterpreted whatever they did for unfriendliness? It seems likes you were there on a busy day, so maybe they were just overwhelmed?

She tried to convince me to do a Friday, but I told her only Tuesday would work for us, and she were fine with that. I see in some of the other logs that it should be a much quieter day for us when we are there, which I actually like the sound of, and I'm not going in with huge expectations - mostly just to see it. I've already met a couple lackeys, so that isn't a huge deal to me, though it will be nice to do again. Also looking forward to seeing the giant cache and getting the souvenirs and what not. And, the new icon! Plus, it isn't the entire purpose of our little caching adventure, so I think it will be hard for us to walk away disappointed. Unless they pull a "closed office" thing - that would be a big bummer!
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
That looks familiar...

The Theo Chocolate factory is nearby - for non-geocaching we would recommend looking into that tour. The underground tour downtown was our daughter's highlight of Seattle so we are required too suggest that.
The WSGA website has a list of recommended Seattle caches, we would recommend looking into that.
If one of the virtuals you are looking at is "North ... to Alaska" - we recommend the nearby multi "where it all started". It is way less gross than "double bubble toil and trouble". Never mind the favorite points.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm not sure how much non-geocaching time we'll have, but will have to check into those things. And I do believe "North ... to Alaska" is on our list. Will have to check out the multi as well.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
It does seem that most of the logs are very complementary, even on the day you were there (except for you and your mom), so maybe you guys misinterpreted whatever they did for unfriendliness? It seems likes you were there on a busy day, so maybe they were just overwhelmed?

I think we were the only ones not oohhing and ahhing and pawning over the place. We got to sit back and watch the condescending attitudes instead. I am more than sure you'll have a better experience.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Carly part is different. I know we were suppose to meet Justin.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what I got. The experience was less than what I was expecting. you get to go into the welcome area of their offices, one person came out to greet us, then we got to sign the log book, and use the free photo booth. We looked at some of the merchandise and watched a few logs come in on their computer in the lobby...then it was time to go. If you're in the area, then it's worth it to stop by.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Pretty much what I got. The experience was less than what I was expecting. you get to go into the welcome area of their offices, one person came out to greet us, then we got to sign the log book, and use the free photo booth. We looked at some of the merchandise and watched a few logs come in on their computer in the lobby...then it was time to go. If you're in the area, then it's worth it to stop by.

I am glad I stopped too but it was way over rated.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got: "the cache is over there". Receptionist didn't even come out from behind the counter, didn't have the photo booth pointed out, didn't get offered any coins for sale, etc. I was allowed to spend as much time as I wanted at the cache. But in their defense, they told me I could only come on Friday during the big group thing, but when I said I was only in town on Monday and Tuesday, they made an exception, and warned me I wouldn't get much. Your letter sounds much better than what I got, but I wasn't offered all that either.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went in 2009, they had a phone number on the cache page as well as a contact email. And they were at their old location, underneath the Steampunk-looking monorail in downtown Seattle, across the street from an excellent (i.e. locally owned, Not Starbucks) coffee and pastry shop. There was about a dozen cachers when I was there to visit, and quite a few lackeys came out and introduced themselves, including Jeremy Irish. They also let us walk past the cube farm behind the reception desk but told us not to engage anyone working - Moun10bike still came out of his cube and introduced himself.

It sounds like it's changed a lot in the past four years since I was there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: