MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEEDS MAINTENANCE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: NEEDS MAINTENANCE Reply with quote

When do you submit a NEEDS MAINTENANCE log?

Myself, I try to give the CO the benefit of reading the logs and doing what is right, maintain on their own without the reviewer being notified (the reviewer receives these logs, right?).

If I recall correctly, I have posted one NM log. This was on a cache on private property, with "no trespassing" signs posted, and no note on the page indicating the landowner was okay with the cache. I emailed the CO multiple times with no response before I felt the only recourse was to post pics of the signage with a NM log.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: NEEDS MAINTENANCE Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
When do you submit a NEEDS MAINTENANCE log?

Myself, I try to give the CO the benefit of reading the logs and doing what is right, maintain on their own without the reviewer being notified (the reviewer receives these logs, right?).

If I recall correctly, I have posted one NM log. This was on a cache on private property, with "no trespassing" signs posted, and no note on the page indicating the landowner was okay with the cache. I emailed the CO multiple times with no response before I felt the only recourse was to post pics of the signage with a NM log.

Post as many as you want. Reviewers do not receive these. Just don't post a NM for missing pencil. I actually prefer to get these when something is seriously wrong with the cache, i.e. broken, empty, log book unusable . . . It makes it easier to figure which caches to go visit.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a cache hider, I do not see a NM as an insult. If I get an idiotic NM log like a missing pencil, I'll just remove the NM icon and maybe even delete the NM log depending on what it says.

As a cache finder, I am not afraid to use the NM but do not use it willy nilly either.
Gat R Done
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct that we do not receive notification for NM logs. But if a Needs Archived log is posted, we will read the NM logs and DNF logs along with a number of other factors to determine what action should be taken. Most of the time these are disabled and the CO is given a 30 day window to make any necessary repairs or communicate their plan.

If situations come up such as the trespassing signage, you can either post a Needs Archived log or email me directly. If you can include pictures, that is always appreciated and helpful. We do protect your identity, but if you were a recent finder, it's usually pretty easy to figure out who reported the cache. For serious issues one of us may archive the cache with a private email to the CO explaining the issue.

We rely on the caching community to communicate these issues, as you are the ones who see these situations in person.

Last edited by Gat R Done on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I submit if cache really needs attention... better than someone submitting a "needs archive" because of a couple dnf's... i went to check on it and the cache was there. Sheesh. that one ruffled my feathers a bit.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a 'needs maintenance' log is a big deal. I do it if the log is soaking wet and I didn't have a replacement log or the container has a hole in it. I also do it sometimes when there are a lot of dnf's on an easy cache. If I come across a cache with a needs maintenance log or two and the co hasn't posted a note or done maintenance I will log a 'needs archived'. I've ruffled a few feathers of lazy cache owners doing that, but at least it motivates them to fix their cache.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my feathers ruffled when someone marked one of my caches as needing maintenance, while logging a dnf, when the cache is sitting there exactly how I hid it.

Of course the searcher had no way to know I lived just a few blocks away and checked on the cache often. But it was a mid level difficulty, so a NM after they can't find it?

I shouldn't let it bug me, but it did. I'm over it. Really, I am!
jicknarson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post a "needs maintenance" log more readily if the CO has a large number of hides. My thinking is that a NM log will be noticed, but if I just mention a problem in my log it might not be seen... especially if the CO is receiving many logs per day in their email on owned caches. I do really appreciate it if an owner posts that they check their hides. Some do, some don't. I have several unfound caches in my local area that I disregard - they haven't been found in quite awhile despite several attempts, and the owner has not logged that all is well. In that case I won't post an NM log... but I also won't make another try at the cache unless someone finds it.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOMETIMES the best motivation to go caching is to see a Jicknarson dnf log. Wink
jicknarson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
SOMETIMES the best motivation to go caching is to see a Jicknarson dnf log. Wink

OK, APA...what exactly do ya mean by that?
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I typed that on my phone while on the bike at the Y (that's my story and I'm sticking to it), so the words didn't type out quite as I intended them to.

Whatever you read into it is EXACTLY what I meant!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jicknarson wrote:
I'll post a "needs maintenance" log more readily if the CO has a large number of hides. My thinking is that a NM log will be noticed, but if I just mention a problem in my log it might not be seen... especially if the CO is receiving many logs per day in their email on owned caches. > snip <

Now, I told you I read EVERY one of your logs.

Rolling Eyes Wink
jicknarson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
jicknarson wrote:
I'll post a "needs maintenance" log more readily if the CO has a large number of hides. My thinking is that a NM log will be noticed, but if I just mention a problem in my log it might not be seen... especially if the CO is receiving many logs per day in their email on owned caches. > snip <

Now, I told you I read EVERY one of your logs.

Rolling Eyes Wink

Hey... I didn't mention any names!
OK, to be honest, my rationale was based on KB hides. That was before you told me you read the logs. I am still amazed by that - don't know how you have enough time. I'm sticking with my NM strategy, though. There are other prolific hiders out there.
Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jicknarson wrote:
There are other prolific hiders out there.
Smile

There are?
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the most entertaining logs are jicknarson logs, both found it and dnf's. Good stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: