MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great River Road

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Great River Road Reply with quote

One item on my bucket list is to drive the Great River Road from Lake Itasca to New Orleans. A couple of co-workers kayaked it a few years back, but I missed out on being the designated trailer hauler.

Has anyone ever done this adventure? I am trying to figure out how much time it would take me to drive south from Minneapolis to New Orleans, following the GRR, stopping every 20 miles or so for a cache. I would probably take the speediest route back toward the north, stopping every hour for a cache.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norvina and I did it back in 2009. We followed a route that would get us there the fastest while still satisfying KB's challenge. Our adventure was from the metro all the way to Venice, LA. We already had a handful of trips north to Itasca so that was not considered in our national GRR tour. I have a few postings about it on my website and I might even have GPX files containing our routes if you wanted them.

Clear Lake, IA

Galesburg, IL

St. Louis, MO

Cairo, IL

Venice, LA

I've been around the country quite a bit since taking up geocaching and this was easily one of my favorite trips.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been noodling over doing this on two wheels (motor powered)...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed the track log dump of my trip onto my website. Take a look at it if interested.

Great River Road Track Log
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I placed the track log dump of my trip onto my website. Take a look at it if interested.

Great River Road Track Log

I decided to remove the file from the web server since it more or less tells everyone where I live.. not that I am paranoid or anything. If anyone wants the track log dump, email me directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: