MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket Query
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Pocket Query Reply with quote

I have a premium membership with Groundspeak, and I also have a Garmin Etrex Venture HC. I am able to create the pocket query which is delivered to my e-mail, but I cannot figure out how to import it to my unit. Is my unit just too old to recognize pocket queries? Any suggestions would be helpful. It would be a real time saver if I could figure out how to do it.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you receive a program called MapSource with your Garmin? My etrek came with that. Unzip the PQ and then open the .gpx files in that program. You can send directly to your GPS from there.

Other option: Use GSAK.
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also saved the gpx file to my desktop and opened it up with EasyGPS -- this program is a free download and really easy to use. I use this one to quickly load PQs, but use GSAK for stats and seeing if I qualify for challenges. I started out with the e-Trex and EasyGPS worked fine with it.
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took team_geomonkeys adviced, and it worked!!!!! I am over the top thrilled. I now have all the caches I have not found loaded into my unit within a 25 mile radius. You rock, team_geomonkeys!
lansima
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took team_geomonkeys advice of the EasyGPS program as well. Thank you!!

Going to do some of the State Park Avian Adventures and I probably won't get cell phone signal at the parks. So I had to dust off the 'ol Garmin GPSmap 76Cx. I've been out of the game for a few years. My son and I got 56 of the Wild Safari cards back in 2009. BTW, how AWESOME is caching by smart phone?!! And you can log finds in real time?! SO COOL! Man did I miss caching! Glad to be back!
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY, this GSAK thing is clicking a little bit in my mind.

When I travel, I like to have a radius of caches around my hotel, but on an upcoming vacation I am planning a day trip in the middle. When I have a PQ of my radius caches loaded then load a day trip route, the radius is deleted, correct? Is there any way to have both at the same time on same unit? Yes, I am keeping the query numbers low so storage is not an issue.

Too long a story, but I want all of my caches loaded into gps before leaving home. I can do PQ's and load on road, but prefer not to.
jicknarson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, APA - There is probably an easier way, but what I do when I travel is create a database in GSAK specifically for the trip, then load the individual PQ's there. When I have the caches that I want in the data base - say, a PQ for the route to my destination, a PQ for a radius around that spot, and others for any day trips I may make - I load that database to my Oregon. Works pretty slick.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
FINALLY, this GSAK thing is clicking a little bit in my mind.

When I travel, I like to have a radius of caches around my hotel, but on an upcoming vacation I am planning a day trip in the middle. When I have a PQ of my radius caches loaded then load a day trip route, the radius is deleted, correct? Is there any way to have both at the same time on same unit? Yes, I am keeping the query numbers low so storage is not an issue.

Too long a story, but I want all of my caches loaded into gps before leaving home. I can do PQ's and load on road, but prefer not to.

I'm not sure I understand your question...

Just create a filter in GSAK that defines the radius around the hotel, then load those caches into the GPS.

Then create a new filter in GSAK that defines the day trip and load those caches into the GPS.
jicknarson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

Just create a filter in GSAK that defines the radius around the hotel, then load those caches into the GPS.

Then create a new filter in GSAK that defines the day trip and load those caches into the GPS.

I don't know how other GPSr's work, but when I load caches from GSAK it wipes out whatever I had previously loaded. I think Steve also uses an Oregon, so I'm guessing that is the issue here.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jicknarson wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

I don't know how other GPSr's work, but when I load caches from GSAK it wipes out whatever I had previously loaded. I think Steve also uses an Oregon, so I'm guessing that is the issue here.

I'm not familiar with this newfangled technology, but isn't there a setting to disable this behavior?

An alternative option would be to set the filter in GSAK, then set the user flag for all caches in the filter. Do this again for the second set, then just filter the user flagged caches and load to the GPS.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont use GSAK, I just run the PQs, un zip them then drag the whole unzipped folder into the GPX folder on my Oregon. If they are not name the same, I can load as many PQs as I want as long as I dont go over the 5000 cache limit my Oregon 450 has. The Oregon 300 has a 2000 limit I believe.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSAK will overwrite the "Database Name" when you export from GSAK to GPSr... If you have all your data in one database and filter for 'Hotel' load that, then create different filter for other area and load that from "Same database" it will overwrite the "hotel". One way around it, create a database for the "hotel" area, load that, create separate database for "midway" and load that, note they have different names... Keep in mind, depending upon the GPSr, you are limited to a total number of geocahes in the combined files.

One way I do this sometimes, depending upon where/what you are doing is to use the GSAK polygon filter method, draw a polygon on the map on the screen copy those coordinates from the map, put those in the polygon filter, and use the geocaches that are inclusive (or exclusive) of that polygon.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
I dont use GSAK, I just run the PQs, un zip them then drag the whole unzipped folder into the GPX folder on my Oregon. If they are not name the same, I can load as many PQs as I want as long as I dont go over the 5000 cache limit my Oregon 450 has. The Oregon 300 has a 2000 limit I believe.

Thank you all. This seemed to work. Plus, it didn't cost me a cup of coffee or even a beer.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
RudeRat wrote:

Thank you all. This seemed to work. Plus, it didn't cost me a cup of coffee or even a beer.

If RudeRat's suggestion worked then I believe you would owe him a cup of coffee or a beer (his choice).
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
jicknarson wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

I'm not familiar with this newfangled technology, but isn't there a setting to disable this behavior?

An alternative option would be to set the filter in GSAK, then set the user flag for all caches in the filter. Do this again for the second set, then just filter the user flagged caches and load to the GPS.

On the GSAK's "Send Waypoints to GPS" there is a check box for "Clear GPS before sending". Uncheck this and it will load points up to the storage limit of 5000 caches. That makes for a really full couple days of caching Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: