MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner needs tips.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
c(re/\me)2
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Beginner needs tips. Reply with quote

I just learned about geocaching a couple of days ago, and I'm ready to give it a go! Yesterday, I tried 3 sites that were recently found by other cachers, but came home empty-handed. I was hoping that I could get some tips and suggestions, and if possible, is there a way to find caching buddies? None of my friends are into this sort of thing, and I'd really like to find others to cache with. Any info helps, and thanks in advance for the input.

NEVER STOP DREAMING
seek divine moments of truth
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner needs tips. Reply with quote

c(re/\me)2 wrote:
I just learned about geocaching a couple of days ago, and I'm ready to give it a go! Yesterday, I tried 3 sites that were recently found by other cachers, but came home empty-handed. I was hoping that I could get some tips and suggestions, and if possible, is there a way to find caching buddies? None of my friends are into this sort of thing, and I'd really like to find others to cache with. Any info helps, and thanks in advance for the input.

Where are you located? Also, do you have the GCxxxxx codes of the caches you tried?

Normally I'd suggest looking for caches that have very low terrain and difficulty ratings (and also ones that were very recently found) for starters. Once you find a cache or two then they come progressively easier to find (in general).
c(re/\me)2
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am located in Coon Rapids, but I work in Inver Grove Heights, so pretty much anywhere in the metro area. I realized right away after the first try (GC205C7) that it hadn't been found since before the snowfall, so I tried a couple of micros down in IGH. No luck with this one (GC1NHNF), although it was after dark, and too much muggle action around this one (GC3116Q) two nights in a row. I can't seem to find too many "beginner" caches that have been recently found, so I'm afraid I'm stuck trying to find the more difficult ones this winter. The things that would most help me right now, are tips on dealing with muggle traffic, tips on winter friendly caches (are they usually hidden in higher places?) and of course, going out with an experienced cacher who could show me the ropes would be most ideal.

Thanks again!

NEVER STOP DREAMING
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c(re/\me)2 wrote:
I am located in Coon Rapids, but I work in Inver Grove Heights, so pretty much anywhere in the metro area. I realized right away after the first try (GC205C7) that it hadn't been found since before the snowfall, so I tried a couple of micros down in IGH. No luck with this one (GC1NHNF), although it was after dark, and too much muggle action around this one (GC3116Q) two nights in a row. I can't seem to find too many "beginner" caches that have been recently found, so I'm afraid I'm stuck trying to find the more difficult ones this winter. The things that would most help me right now, are tips on dealing with muggle traffic, tips on winter friendly caches (are they usually hidden in higher places?) and of course, going out with an experienced cacher who could show me the ropes would be most ideal.

Thanks again!

NEVER STOP DREAMING

The middle one you list is a Knowschad hide.. he's got great hides and are tougher and probably under-rated (for beginners).

If you're ever in the IGH area, I'd be happy to help you out. I am in the nearby Rosemount/Eagan area.
c(re/\me)2
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje, I'm down in IGH all the time. The only days I'm not down there are Wednesdays and every other weekend. I normally work evenings and could always come a bit early to do some caching. Otherwise it would have to be late evening, which I'm also alright with. Let me know what works for you.

NEVER STOP DREAMING
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, winter friendly caches tend to be at least waist high if not higher, though not always. I'd recommend looking for regular size vs micro to start out--regardless of difficulty they tend to be easier for a novice and also easier in winter to guess where something could be buried. This is doubly true if you are phone caching since signal is not as accurate - dunno if you have a GPS or not. It's easier to search a broad area for a regular. If you look for a recently found cache you can also follow the footprints of the previous finders in the snow. Watch the forums for groups going out too such as weeknight caching or breakfast buddies, not as common in winter but sometimes, and for sure as the weather gets better. Finally, always bring a pencil. : ). Good luck!
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4, Copaman and I just found 64 caches in the Inver Grove Heights / South St. Paul area today. Most of them were along Concord Blvd. You can follow our footprints to quite a few of them. Look for the spot that it looks like three people were standing. That is where we found the cache and signed the log.
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
BigChiefS4, Copaman and I just found 64 caches in the Inver Grove Heights / South St. Paul area today. Most of them were along Concord Blvd. You can follow our footprints to quite a few of them. Look for the spot that it looks like three people were standing. That is where we found the cache and signed the log.

There were 3 sets of footprints only when the driver got out of the car, lol.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Yes, winter friendly caches tend to be at least waist high if not higher, though not always. I'd recommend looking for regular size vs micro to start out--regardless of difficulty they tend to be easier for a novice and also easier in winter to guess where something could be buried. This is doubly true if you are phone caching since signal is not as accurate - dunno if you have a GPS or not. It's easier to search a broad area for a regular. If you look for a recently found cache you can also follow the footprints of the previous finders in the snow. Watch the forums for groups going out too such as weeknight caching or breakfast buddies, not as common in winter but sometimes, and for sure as the weather gets better. Finally, always bring a pencil. : ). Good luck!
Great tips.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4 wrote:
tonkaMN wrote:

There were 3 sets of footprints only when the driver got out of the car, lol.

Somebody had to keep the getaway car running in case the police showed up. Wink
c(re/\me)2
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly appreciate all the help I have received so far. Tonight, i found my first cache!!! Very excited and can't wait to find more! Thanks again everyone.
JABIE28
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c(re/\me)2 wrote:
I truly appreciate all the help I have received so far. Tonight, i found my first cache!!! Very excited and can't wait to find more! Thanks again everyone.

c(re/\me)2
I live in Blaine, oddly enough i have not cached in Coon Rapids much. I would be willing to try to help you.

You can Pm me thru geocaching.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: