MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Log Of The Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker found Zombi - A King Boreas Cache (Traditional Cache) at 11/15/2012

Log Date: 11/15/2012

Driving back from Utah along I-80 bound for Minnesota. This was my one request for a caching stop along the way. There are a bunch of nice caches to grab and wanted to make sure it happened. A little over an hour later and we were back on the road. Okay, I just couldn't resist stopping for this one even though it meant a second exit. How often do you get to find a KB cache outside of his 300 mile home territory. This marks the eighth state that I have found one of his caches in. Proving that the Pick Six is just a little bit too easy. Bonus for the title on this. XNSL TFTC

Visit this log entry at the below address:
http://coord.info/GL9VPE3C

Visit Zombi - A King Boreas Cache
http://coord.info/GC1VRY4
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not my cache, but I "designed" and hid it for a friend:

Boreal Walker found GC3FGR8: Freedom, near the GR8 River Road (Unknown Cache) at 11/28/2012

Log Date: 11/28/2012

[center][red][size=3]666![/center]

[black][size=2]Today I decided to travel the Road to heck through the Hastings area. I had to stay focused on my goal and not get distracted by all those other caches in my GPS. I made my list and checked it twice before heading out on the trail. I had a little technical SNAFU early on, but I managed to overcome those odds. My fearless geodog Bailey was with for this trip. He enjoyed some caches more than others. In the end, I found what needed to be found and accomplished the goal of 666 points using 23 caches.

STF? Really? No one has stopped by in the last three months to clean up the mess the vampires left? Lucky for me, I went during daylight hours armed with the symbol of my faith and a wad of garlic (works on vampires and women). I had the mighty Cerebus with as a guard dog to attack and deal with any riff-raff. I thought the best approach would be from the river. That cheddar curtain is sticky some days. After canoeing across and dodging trains, I started assaulting the hill. I swear I heard William Wallace yelling "FREEDOM" as I made my way to the top. That is where I slipped on the vampire parts. Really SNB and Sparkyfry, didn't your mothers teach you to clean up your messes? As I was rolling down the other hill with Cerebus bounding after me, I hit my head on something hard. Hmm, oh wait, the cache. Whew! It wasn't for nothing. That is good to know. I rehid the cache and was on my way.

XNSL TFTC

http://coord.info/GL9W0P5T

Visit Unknown Cache
GC3FGR8: Freedom, near the GR8 River Road
http://coord.info/GC3FGR8
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole couldn't find not so Easy Peasy (Multi-cache) at 11/30/2012

Log Date: 11/30/2012
Holy Spider-Man, Batman - justjane and I came out to scope this one today. We've done some pretty extreme climbs for a cache but this? I think I'd need tools I don't own and probably a year of upper body strength training. We just shook our heads - we have found a cache that is too awesome for us. Enjoy!

http://coord.info/GL9W1ATG

Visit not so Easy Peasy
http://coord.info/GC3M1YR

Profile for dornole:
http://coord.info/PRJY2C
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmrbabe found [Traditional Cache] SR-2: The Easy One!!!

Saturday, 01 December 2012Minnesota

Since today is the first day in December, I figured it was safe to be here. Well, it wasn't, but not because of birds or Rochester's finest. One of my geocaching nightmares is to lose the cache and today was the day for that to happen. Finding it wasn't a problem.

I unscrewed the cap, carefully put the cap in my pocket, and then got my tweezers out to retrieve the log. At that point I dropped the container, with the log still inside. In the long grass, at 3:40 in the afternoon on a gloomy, misty day. So.... what to do, but get down on my hands and knees and start looking. I thought it would be an easy find because of its color, but no such thing.

In desperation I started ripping out the grass in an organized way. The sun began to drop. By then my hands were cold and stiff, so I went to the car to warm up. I decided that light would help, so I aimed the car in the direction of GZ, turn on the brights and started crawling in the grass again. And then..... I saw it! I took it back to the car, and SL with stiff fingers. It took three tries to get it wound up tightly enough, but at this point, that wasn't going to stop me!

Anyway, TFTC, and hopefully dropping the cache is now out of my system and I can have sweet dreams. Until the next time I drop one!
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f424371d-afb9-4021-a0f3-17f98fd72b53

Quote:
Sharknose Bunnies found Not Long For This World

First find of the late afternoon, and not my finest geocaching moment. I found the cache easily enough, and signed it easily enough, and put it back easily enough. But when I decided to make a U-turn and leave ground zero, things got decidedly more interesting. The road wasn't wide enough for me to make the full turn, but instead of stopping, backing up and completing the turn, I said to myself, "Humph. I've got four-wheel drive, I'll just plow through the snow on the side of the road." In retrospect, this is what we call an extraordinarily stupid idea. Ten seconds later my entire car was irrevocably stuck in the thick snow plow wash on the side of the road. Only one lone tire remained on the pavement. The only thing mitigating the debacle was the fact that there is zero traffic on the road, so no one was around to witness my winter folly.

I tried backing up onto the road a few times, and rocking the car, which pretty much just made things worse, as the car slid farther off the side of the road, which I now realized was a slight downgrade to a snowy field. At this point, as I got out of my car to examine my masterpiece, I noticed another car pulling over, and then a guy got out to help, or perhaps mock me, I wasn't sure which. But it turns out he was friendly and helpful, and stood on the back of my car to try to increase traction so I could get out. Which once again only resulted in my car sliding farther off the road. At this point, I had just about given up hope.

"You should go straight ahead into the field, drive along the side of the road to build up speed, then cut back onto the road. The snow is softer down there and not so deep, you'll be fine."

I looked at the snow-covered field, which looked thoroughly buried in deep snow, and thought that his idea was the stupidest thing I'd heard of to do with a car ever. But then I thought about it for a second and realized that no, that wasn't true: I had just done the stupidest thing I'd ever heard of with a car five minutes ago. Still, the look on my face must not have inspired confidence in his plan.

"Seriously, I drive plows. Trust me, you'll be fine."

I figured that since my ideas in the past ten minutes were all incredibly stupid and making things worse, that any idea that appeared to me to be stupid must in fact be brilliant, and how could it get worse, except for the fact that I might not be driving my car again until spring and the snow melts. I revved the engine, put the car in drive, and hit the gas. The car shot forward, down into the snowy field. I kept up the gas, adjusted my angle parallel to the road, and expected to get stuck. Instead the car kept plowing through the snow and built up speed. After a few seconds I angled left and headed back through the thick snow plow wash by the side of the road. The geomobile shot through the stuff easily and in a flash I was back on the road! Cool! What a genius!

I said a huge thanks to the guy and was once again on my way caching! Thanks for the cache, and thanks to the good samaritan who saved my geocaching adventure! (6141)

Laughing
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f424371d-afb9-4021-a0f3-17f98fd72b53

Quote:
Sharknose Bunnies found Not Long For This World

First find of the late afternoon, and not my finest geocaching moment. I found the cache easily enough, and signed it easily enough, and put it back easily enough. But when I decided to make a U-turn and leave ground zero, things got decidedly more interesting. The road wasn't wide enough for me to make the full turn, but instead of stopping, backing up and completing the turn, I said to myself, "Humph. I've got four-wheel drive, I'll just plow through the snow on the side of the road." In retrospect, this is what we call an extraordinarily stupid idea. Ten seconds later my entire car was irrevocably stuck in the thick snow plow wash on the side of the road. Only one lone tire remained on the pavement. The only thing mitigating the debacle was the fact that there is zero traffic on the road, so no one was around to witness my winter folly.

I tried backing up onto the road a few times, and rocking the car, which pretty much just made things worse, as the car slid farther off the side of the road, which I now realized was a slight downgrade to a snowy field. At this point, as I got out of my car to examine my masterpiece, I noticed another car pulling over, and then a guy got out to help, or perhaps mock me, I wasn't sure which. But it turns out he was friendly and helpful, and stood on the back of my car to try to increase traction so I could get out. Which once again only resulted in my car sliding farther off the road. At this point, I had just about given up hope.

"You should go straight ahead into the field, drive along the side of the road to build up speed, then cut back onto the road. The snow is softer down there and not so deep, you'll be fine."

I looked at the snow-covered field, which looked thoroughly buried in deep snow, and thought that his idea was the stupidest thing I'd heard of to do with a car ever. But then I thought about it for a second and realized that no, that wasn't true: I had just done the stupidest thing I'd ever heard of with a car five minutes ago. Still, the look on my face must not have inspired confidence in his plan.

"Seriously, I drive plows. Trust me, you'll be fine."

I figured that since my ideas in the past ten minutes were all incredibly stupid and making things worse, that any idea that appeared to me to be stupid must in fact be brilliant, and how could it get worse, except for the fact that I might not be driving my car again until spring and the snow melts. I revved the engine, put the car in drive, and hit the gas. The car shot forward, down into the snowy field. I kept up the gas, adjusted my angle parallel to the road, and expected to get stuck. Instead the car kept plowing through the snow and built up speed. After a few seconds I angled left and headed back through the thick snow plow wash by the side of the road. The geomobile shot through the stuff easily and in a flash I was back on the road! Cool! What a genius!

I said a huge thanks to the guy and was once again on my way caching! Thanks for the cache, and thanks to the good samaritan who saved my geocaching adventure! (6141)

Laughing

The cache name was pretty apt for this adventure!
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hilarious!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures?
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my cache and not my log, but it made me laugh.

http://coord.info/GC426Z2 (One Fence, Two Fence)

msrubble couldn't find [Traditional Cache] One Fence, Two Fence

Wednesday, 19 December 2012 Minnesota

Not a good winter cache? Not a good night cache? jREST thinks everyone totes a laptop on the trail to look at the purty pictures with their cheap, reliable internet connection? I am just stoooopid?

I'm gullible anyway. I could have driven 10 more minutes to an easier cache, and didn't realize that stopping here meant walking at least 10 minutes. Duh.

I sure hope you're done dribbling out these (alleged) caches one or two at a time before New Year's.

Poked around, peered around, brushed snow off, couldn't find anything of interest. I got back to the car an hour and ten minutes after sunset.

merkong
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: An Oldie but a Goodie Reply with quote

I posted this several years ago on a cache that is now archived. Still smile when I read it and remember how all we used to do is cache, cache, cache. Probably going to try to recreate those days again here real soon. Enjoy. I know I did. Posted on the archived cache The Travel Bug Rest Home by KB

Bored and longing for my travel frog... Read on to find out how we mythically retrieved him from the west coast and dropped him at the rest home... ps - thats my truck inthe photo (heehee)

merkong

Dispatched the F.A.R.T. (Frog Apprehension and Rescue Team), which began to meet after the missing in action status was established. We headed west by thumb. Arriving in the area and searching for clues left us empty but something had to be there...
An old man sits asleep, his fishing hat drawn over his eyes. I nudge his foot. "What the heck.." he yells. I asked him if he had seen any muggles in the area. Dangerous ones. He nodded. We left.

Later, from across a long empty ocean front parking lot, we watched the trailer house. It was dark. The waves crashed loudly. Rhythmically. In the mix of moonlight and distant flood lights glimmered the golden Firebird...

As we approached the vehicle under cover of shadow, I reached in through the passenger window and opened the glovebox. With a thud a gun fell to the floor of the car. A light went on in the front window of the delapitated mobile home. My partner stumbled as he sped around the car to my side. He pulled at me. "Jimmy!!" we heard an old man shout loudly. "Jimmy, they're out there, by your car!!" My partner tugged at me to run but I instead I lunged in toward the glovebox, stuffing my hand inside. I squeezed a pile of dosh, junk, food and whatever else as I was yanked away from the car, seeing the outside light come on. "Run!" I was instructed, so I ran.

As we sped away hearing gunshots ring out into the night, I rustled through the handful of garbage I had stolen from that glovebox. Suddenly, I held him up. Alfredo was home! Badly injured, but home. My partner let out a holler. "Hey," he asked. "Why the heck did Jim Rockford have Alfredo anyway?" I looked long, took a final drag off my cigarette and flicked it out the window. Exhaling I answered, "Now that's what we need to find out".
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Pictures?

Thankfully, no.
mnfishnutz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were lazy cache owners this fall on our underwater geocache "who lives in a geocache under the sea" and didn't go retrieve it. Since it was in rather shallow water, we were sure the ice had frozen it and the cache would be gone. Today we got this log.

Quote:
CaptnHook: Needs Maintenance
12/24/2012

We found this cache while ice skating on the lake on Christmas Eve. We found it completely by accident and almost skated into it. We took it out of the ice and brought it home with us. I no longer cache... We'd be happy to get the bottle and contents back to you if you'd like. 763-559-8240. You can ask for Paul. Merry Christmas!!

Thank you CaptnHook! Laughing Christmas geocache container!
JAYMZ*BRONX
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: GC2JDYX POW-MIA from 10/18/12 Reply with quote

Ok, so here's a funny Geo-story for you. So I had the park to myself and I started my search, I looked for about 10 mins when I noticed a car pull in so I didn't worry about it and keep hunting. Then another pulled in, then another so I figured I'd call it quits as I approached my van I saw they were no ordinary muggles, they were the REAL DEAL!! dressed in full Harry Potter/Dungeons & Dragons costumes with fake swords and all, it was pretty darn funny. They were preparing for battle, and my wife thinks I'M a nerd for caching. I should give a favorite point just for seeing this. The End.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://coord.info/GLA3GKTM

Quote:
ljvet found Highline (Traditional Cache) at 1/12/2013

Log Date: 1/12/2013
Wow, once at the location I very gingerly scooted out to the cache on my belly as I didn't want to disturbed the cracking ice. Once I got there I hooked the car with my shark fishing pole and 100lb line and started reeling it in. All of a sudden I heard a loud crack and the ice I was standing on gave way and started moving down the river, the line reeling out. Ugh....hold on....so it was just a matter of time when I had to give up on the ice and start running toward the shore. I was determined to get the car to the side, running in freezing waist high water when I finally reached the shore, the pole fell. Desperately I ran back into the river to grab it before the car made its way back.....reeled and reeled.....ran and ran, Until finally......

[:I] ...er or else the car was on the platform when I arrived and the most exciting thing I did was climb the ladder and pry the frozen container open with my frozen finger nails, find the log and sign it. Took some pictures and skated back to the car with wheels and a heater, on the icy trail....

Tftc. My lucky day! [Very Happy]

dmneiman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://coord.info/GLA44B9Z

Hope it's ok to post my own log. Had fun writing it, came out pretty well. For the cache "Hiawatha":

Long did Cache-awatha seek this puzzle;
Long did Cache-awatha seek the source--
But he was a determined Fellow!

Long he sought the hidden key
In Google and the Land of Wiki;
In logs and notes of other solvers
He scanned for clues and hints and nudges.

He found the source, yet not the source;
It was his bane, the code not breaking!
He pulled his hair, he threw the mouse
But Cache-awatha made no progress.

And then, aha! one Goog did find
A link, a text that held the key!
(But why did "Find" not find it sooner?)

Then the noble Cache-awatha
With his hands aloft extended,
Cried aloud and said, "I've solved it!"
Never bloomed the earth so gayly,
Never shone the sun so brightly,
As that moment when he solved it.

He journeyed long and far to GZ;
To GZ where the log awaited--
The log to which he'd add his scribble
And join the ranks of puzzle solvers.
Behold! The log! The coords were perfect!
But wait--no pen?!? (Ha, ha, just kidding!)

Thus ends the tale of Cache-awatha
Brave and noble Cache-awatha
(Maybe not so smart or clever)
But victorious none the same!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17

Jump to: