MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for Cache of the Year - 2012!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be Cache of the Year for 2012?
January - GC36AYX: Wheredoigonext
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
February - GC2HT5W: The Guardian Final - A Night Cache
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
March - GC2H3QG: Runcible Spoon
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
April - GC3BNZG: The Troublemaking Spy
33%
 33%  [ 39 ]
May - GC2P5TJ: Periodic Table of Elements Challenge
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
June - GC33ZEB: BYOB
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
July - GC3K7QE: Cryptech
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
August - GC2T2RB: The Gauntlet - Child's Play
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
September - GC2YQ0J: MN LPC Series - jicknarson
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
October - GC3H2FD - The Gauntlet 2012 - Sticks and Stones
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
November - GC3ABGG: Judgement Day
32%
 32%  [ 37 ]
December - GC3EHXK: Highline
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 115

Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Vote for Cache of the Year - 2012!!! Reply with quote

Well...just for fun...and bragging rights!!! Check back, I will update the post as needed...but this one is just for fun (but a prize may be added later). Voting will take place until the end of December!!!

Good luck to all...have fun...and discuss!!!
-Self Promotion and Begging is Highly Encouraged...let's have some fun and end the year right!!!

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Congratulations mnfishnutz & troutonthebrain!!!

The January 2012 Cache of the Month is GC36AYX: Wheredoigonext
Mystery Cache Icon GC36AYX: Wheredoigonext By mnfishnutz & troutonthebrain
Nominated By: Red_Devil35
It is a unique style of cache, and very fun! It took a bit of teamwork on our part, and I really think it is best done with a group, my favorite kind of caching!

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Congratulations diehard50248!!!

The February 2012 Cache of the Month is GC2HT5W: The Guardian Final A Night Cache
Mystery Cache Icon GC2HT5W: The Guardian Final A Night Cache By diehard50248
Nominated By: KRedEP
We found this cache as well as a few other well done night caches in Woodbury New Year's Eve. This cache is actually part of a Guardian series where you need to find three traditional caches first and "make" a key to get the final coords to find the start of this night cache. The method of making the key, we have never seen done before and thought it very creative. The final itself is a traditional night cache, and is very well done with tacs that are easy to see and close together, so they guide you through a great night walk in a nice park. The CO even thoughtfully provided tacs AFTER the cache, to help you find your way out. A very enjoyable series of caches that the whole family will enjoy.

msteffel wrote:
The March 2012 Cache of the Month is:
Multi Cache Icon Runcible Spoon - GC2H3QG by ghost640.
Nominated By: navychief98

Congratulations to ghost640 as well as all those that were nominated!!!

We will do our best to keep the voting open all month (for the April voting, I'm going to try and make it open for an extra day, but then decrease the amount of time once past 11:59:59 pm on 4/30) and end it as close to midnight as possible, but there is no need hold off voting, you have all month and your vote counts the same no matter when you make it.

msteffel wrote:
The April 2012 Cache of the Month is:
Multi Cache Icon The Troublemaking Spy GC3BNZG by Diehard50248.
Nominated By: dbeitz

Congratulations to Diehard50248 as well as all those that were nominated!!!

We will do our best to keep the voting open all month and end it as close to midnight as possible, but there is no need hold off voting, you have all month and your vote counts the same no matter when you make it.

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Congratulations Boreal Walker!!!

The May 2012 Cache of the Month is GC2P5TJ: Periodic Table of Elements Challenge

Mystery Cache Icon Periodic Table of Elements Challenge - GC2P5TJ by Mad Scientist (aka Boreal Walker)
Nominated By: sparkyfry
I would like to nominate the Periodic Table of Elements Challenge by Boreal Walker. This challenge led to at least 100 new caches being hidden all over the state to help people qualify for the challenge. Such an impact on the caching environment deserves some recognition! It's also such a difficult challenge that the nature of our physical universe changed during the time between when the cache was published and when it got found (over a year later): two new elements (livernorium and flerovium) were added to the Periodic Table. That is one tough challenge!

msteffel wrote:
Congratulations Jaklimber!!!

The June 2012 Cache of the Month is GC33ZEB: BYOB

Regular Cache Icon GC33ZEB: BYOB by Jaklimber
Nominated By: Gurojo

The seemingly simple cache will probably fool you at least for a while. The craftsmanship of the device is incredible. Jaklimber has created many notable caches but this one stands alone. If you read some of the logs you'll see that I am not alone stating that this is my all-time favorite. Be sure to visit jaklimber's other cache just a short walk away.

msteffel wrote:
Congratulations Marvin the Android!!!

The July2012 Cache of the Month is GC3K7QE: Cryptech

Mystery Cache Icon GC3K7QE: Cryptech by Marvin the Android
Nominated By: sparkyfry

I'd like to nominate Cryptech by Marvin the Android. Marvin put a ton of work into this cache -- both into the puzzle and the final container. Especially the final container. That was one of the more impressive ones I've seen. I had a lot of fun with this cache, even though I had to go to it twice to get it finally cracked.

msteffel wrote:
Congratulations seldon!!!

The August 2012 Cache of the Month is GC2T2RB: The Gauntlet - Child's Play

Multi Cache Icon GC2T2RB: The Gauntlet - Child's Play by seldon
Nominated By: A-body

I'd like to nominate The Gauntlet - Child's Play by Seldon

GC2T2RB

This is a well executed 6 stage multi in the beautiful Canon River Wilderness Area between Northfield and Faribault. Like the title says, child's play, all the stages could be completed by a child yet still challenging for an adult. It involves a 3 mile hike, and approx 3 hours of your time, but talk to anyone that has completed the "gauntlet" and all will agree that this is a must do. There are also 2 other gauntlet multi's in this park along with about 30 other caches so there is plenty to do.

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Congratulations jicknarson!!!

The September 2012 Cache of the Month is GC2YQ0J: MN LPC Series - jicknarson

Regular Cache Icon GC2YQ0J: MN LPC Series - jicknarson by jicknarson
Nominated By: King Boreas

I am nominating MN LPC Series - jicknarson

It's just another Lamp Post Cache but I met the CO and think she's hot PLUS she posts individual logs for "power trails"

Or like I told her: logs that I can read.

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Congratulations seldon!!!
The October 2012 Cache of the Month is Multi Cache Icon GC3H2FD: Gauntlet 2012 Sticks and Stones

Nominated By: georondi
I would like to nominate Seldon's Gauntlet 2012 - Sticks and Stones GC3H2FD. It is a seven stage multi-cache with a puzzle to solve at each cache. It is very, very creative; a LOT of work went into this one. The cache is located in a gorgeous, rustic park called Cannon River Wilderness Area north of Faribault. The person who decides to find this multi will have one great adventure-filled day--I promise! Plus there are also others in this park to make it a destination day. Bring a picnic lunch!

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Congratulations TheCachin8tor!!!
The November 2012 Cache of the Month is Multi Cache Icon GC3ABGG: Judgement Day

Nominated By: LabguyMN
It's a 9 stage multi that includes puzzles, an appreciable hike, knowledge of decryption, planning, teamwork and is just plain fun. The Cachin8tor has outdone himself with the planning, ingenuity and a considerable investment for us to enjoy an epic cache. Most of all this cache managed to keep two 12 year old boys interested for over 3 hours- even guessing what the next stage might be. For me this cache is what I thought geocaching would be about when I first heard about it years ago. A day in the woods spent with family and/or friends searching for treasure. This cache is all that and more.

-Additionally-
A second nomination this month was also received for Multi Cache Icon GC3ABGG: Judgement Day
Nominated By: yellowdogs
This 9 stage multi cache is very well done from start to finish. Each stage is something very different and tests skills on many levels. There is a story that goes along with each stage that makes it very fun. This is the coolest cache that I have encountered to date!

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Congratulations EskoClimber!!!
The December 2012 Cache of the Month is Regular Cache Icon GC3EHXK: Highline

Nominated By: Jaklimber
I would like to nominate GC3EHXK Highline by EskoClimber for December's Cache of the Month.

This cache deserves the honor of Cache of the Month for several reasons. It will leave all of its finders with a memorable experience. It gives seekers a sense of real adventure. Though not at all tricky to FIND, the methods of RETRIEVAL are tricky enough to give a real sense of accomplishment to all of its finders. ...and the views of the north woods and river from above are amazing!

My experience with this cache (see my logs) made this cache the highlight of a geocaching trip to the Duluth area. It earned its place at the top of my all-time best geocaching adventures.

Though not everyone has access to the equipment that geocachers have used to retrieve this one, it could be retrieved in a few different ways, so nobody should feel they aren't capable or don't have the equipment they need. If geocaching means adventure to you, I recommend that you keep this one in the back of you mind, develop a plan and make the trip to find one of the best adventure caches in the state - Highline.

Last edited by Draconisdax on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a "late" observation...in a time when you hear people say "No one likes doing Multi-caches"...we have five that were Cache of the Month this year!!!
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, two of my nominees are up. Decisions, decisions...
sir_kdizzzle
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I have some work to do, I've only found 3 of the 12
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found 5, nominated one. Some I will never get to because of the difficulty/terrain/whatever. A couple I plan on trying someday. You can sure tell who is doing the lobbying.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
You can sure tell who is doing the lobbying.
And I thought that was all done on November 6th. I guess not.. Rolling Eyes
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Just a "late" observation...in a time when you hear people say "No one likes doing Multi-caches"...we have five that were Cache of the Month this year!!!

I am one of the few that loves to do multicaches. But only multicaches that are short and sweet or multicaches with some ingenuity such as the Gauntlets.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:

I am one of the few that loves to do multicaches. But only multicaches that are short and sweet or multicaches with some ingenuity such as the Gauntlets.

I will occasionally check the "Multicache" box when I run my "Home" PQ on weekends, but like Bart, I do prefer the multicaches with some ingenuity over those that take me to the same type of intermediate cache around the same lake/park/etc. and eventually lead me back to something 528 feet from the original posted coords. With the State Parks (So as not to dig at any individual cacher, but rather an organization), I have more fun with something where the intermediate stages contain information about what is interesting about the flora and fauna of the area (like Fort Snelling) and isn't just a laminated card with coords stapled to a trail sign (like most of the other State Park cache I've found so far). I also like multis like The Troublemaking Spy where you have to engage your brain housing group to figure out where the next stage is, or Judgement Day, where you also need to think and almost absolutely need a group, thus making geocaching a social activity. I also prefer multis that explore a place of historical significance, like the B-52 cache in IGH, rather than a multi placed just for the sake of having a multi on a blank spot in the map.
TheCachin8tor
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Don't fear the multi's! Reply with quote

Quote:
I also like multis like The Troublemaking Spy where you have to engage your brain housing group to figure out where the next stage is, or Judgement Day, where you also need to think and almost absolutely need a group, thus making geocaching a social activity. I also prefer multis that explore a place of historical significance, like the B-52 cache in IGH, rather than a multi placed just for the sake of having a multi on a blank spot in the map.

Thanks 15Tango,

Judgement Day's stages are hand-crafted, interactive, and sophisticated. Several stages have working electronic devices and employs several forms of ciphers and encryption. Also, you will need to put to use teamwork, some engineering skills, orienteering, and incorporate the use of several different kinds of TOTTs.

The theme of the cache adds a fun and interactive sci-fi depth to the adventure, and when attempted at night (which is recommended to help solve some of the stages) it adds an extra creepy factor. The story follows you as you move from stage to stage, and you can almost feel sometimes like you are being watched or followed as you take down CACHENET!

Judgement Day also brings cachers to a little known area that is the home of 2 parks in Rogers, MN. Even though it is rated a 5/5, it is entirely do-able for any able-bodied cacher, and is even easier to do as a group. The rating simply reflects the relative time and and effort needed to complete all the stages. There is a good deal of hiking around the park between stages, and the terrain rating reflects the difficulty of reaching some of the stages (TOTTs needed). The difficulty is rated to reflect the need for some in-the-field research, more TOTT usage, and problem solving. Overall, it will take the average cacher about 2 hours to complete if you come prepared.

I encourage everyone to come visit Judgement Day. Even to just give it an attempt. I am always willing to help out if you have trouble and work hard at keeping the cache in tip-top shape. As the popularity of this cache grows, it too has evolved to get better and better. Bring your friends, your coworkers, even the dog . I guarantee you will have a blast saving mankind from annihilation!
Delkan1066
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Inventive Multi's built for time Reply with quote

Yes, we all grow tired of the standard multi with a few numbers on a sign or tag. The multi's on this list are a different breed entirely.

Caches like the Gauntlets or the Troublemaking Spy are amazingly constructed adventures that a cacher can easily get lost in for an afternoon. They are also an activity that even a non-caching family can really get into.

Not only do they have incredibly imaginative and original challenges at every step, but The Gauntlets and Troublemaking Spy are also built for time. You know they will be out there for people to enjoy for years on end without issue. I've seen quite a few "contraptions" and gadgets in the field that no longer work or are constantly broken. You can tell that Seldon and Diehard50248 put a ton of thought and effort into planning for the long haul.

The steps in all The Gauntlet caches were so fun and imaginative, I couldn't wait to get to the next step to see what Seldon had in store for us. I would definitely make the trip down to Faribault again to do them even without earning more smileys.

Similarly, The Troublemaking Spy was so well put together and expertly crafted that I would recommend it to anyone, cacher or not! The only draw back would be that after doing the Troublemaking Spy, you would be hard-pressed to find a more enjoyable, clever, and refined caching adventure. The puzzles are tough enough to make you think, yet easy enough that the kids can help solve them too, every container is professionaly constructed, and it is all wrapped around a story written well enough that people can't help but become invested emotionally in it.

If nothing else comes from this thing where we sign pieces of paper in trees, I know I'm happy that I got the chance to spend some afternoons doing The Gauntlet and The Troublemaking Spy caches and sharing in these individual's imagination and enjoying their efforts.

Thanks Seldon and Diehard50248!
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hard, I have been fortunate to have found 6 of the 12 caches.
Congrats to the caching community for nominating so many multi's!
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we might have to have a dance-off! Shocked
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, why didn't we have a Cache of the Year 2011, when I would've had two caches in the running? Sad
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Hey, why didn't we have a Cache of the Year 2011, when I would've had two caches in the running? Sad

Taking off the COTM Mod Hat here and having some fun...

I think you answered that question with your question... Laughing Wink Laughing
...a one in six chance you get it...no way Minnesota Cachers could let that happen...

Ok...I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum operations!!!
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

In all honesty...we were dealing with another situation and that fell to the side. By the time the situation was cleared up, it was Late February and since this "contest" isn't anything official...basically fun at the end of the year...we just moved on with regular Cache of the Month functions...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: