MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching Challenges

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Geocaching Challenges Reply with quote

Looks like Geocaching Challenges are history...

Dear Geocacher,

In our effort to inspire outdoor play through Geocaching, we are often faced with decisions about what to focus on next, and what to focus on less. It is through these decisions that we explore opportunities to grow the global game of Geocaching.

Occasionally, during this process, we are faced with the reality that certain ideas don't catch on as we had hoped. In these situations we owe it to ourselves and to you to make tough decisions about the future of every project and the resources to be applied to each. Sometimes, as a result, cool features must become casualties.

In this spirit, we have decided to retire Geocaching Challenges.

This means that, effective today, we have disabled the ability to create new Challenges. We have also removed the Challenges application from all mobile application stores. In approxim ately 7 days, we will be removing all traces of the Challenges functionality and related content from Geocaching.com.

On an office wall here at HQ is a sign that reads, "Let's make better mistakes tomorrow." By accepting that we will sometimes get it wrong, we can allow ourselves to learn from and imagine new opportunities in the world of Geocaching. Our hope is we can take the lessons from Challenges and create better tools to guide you on your next adventure.

Sincerely,
Geocaching.com
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quickly checked my profile and see I have not accepted, completed, created, or published a single challenge. I guess I am a part of the "some ideas don't catch on as we hoped" statement which was made.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me either
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also part of the "some ideas don't catch on as we hoped" camp. In fact, I think I was more enthusiastic about Locationless Caches way back when they were The! Next! Big! Thing! - found one - "Ship Out of Water," by taking a pic of the longboat outside the Vikings training facility, but I don't think I even logged it, or if I did, I finally decided "Meh" and deleted it.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there is a small part of me that is disappointed, it's more for those who actually participated in and enjoyed challenges, not for me personally.

Austin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: