MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Friday Geocaching, Anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Black Friday Geocaching, Anyone? Reply with quote

Is anyone interested in joining me for geocaching on Black Friday? I plan to stay as far away from MOA, Walmart, Target, etc. as possible.

Unless someone comes up with something better, my plan is to head to Jabs Farm virtual cache, then head down and complete the Minnesota Valley SRA Avian Adventure (hopefully they put more cards in the cache - recent logs suggest they were almost out) and find MINI VALLEY virtual cache near there, then cache in either Belle Plain or Jordan until it either gets dark, or we get tired, hungry, etc. and can't cache any more. While I would like to bike from the trail head to Jab's Farm, I'd be okay with hiking if this thing generates enough interest and most of the people who join this expedition would prefer hiking.

Meet at 10:00am, at the parking for Jabs Farm which is at the end of 145th Street off of Highway 169 - turn off 169 like you are going to Ren Fest, but continue past the Ren Fest parking field to the end and there is a gravel lot there.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some year I'd like to join this. Can't this year.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck of a walk to the Jabs farm.
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I was just trying to figure out where i was going to go caching tomorow, saw Jabs Farm and thought that would be the perfect hike to work off dinner. Started solving some nearby puzzles - and then checked out this forum just to see whats up. Hopefully you will see there tomorrow morning at 10am. Gonna try to make it. geo-intuition?
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line up front - since it's supposed to be cold and windy and the roads will be crappy, if I don't get a few more people to express interest, I'm postponing this outing until next Saturday, 1 December.

If this doesn't generate much more interest by around 8am tomorrow, I'll postpone this (sorry, geomonkey!). It's supposed to stay windy through tomorrow. I was out looking for the Central Corridor caches in St. Paul this afternoon, and even though my car thermometer read 50 when I started around 2 and 43 when I finished at 4, the wind chill felt like it was in the single digits. Even though I've been saving these for my 100th virt, I'd have to go to the Boundary Waters, Wisconsin and Iowa to get the next 10 I need, so I'd like to do these two before the trail gets too snow-covered and impassable this year. Right now, our wonderful weather prognosticationists at Weather Nation are predicting partly cloudy and 37 for next Saturday, so I'll plan for then. By then, we'll have had a week to acclimate to winter, and it'll give others who might be interested a chance to plan to attend a Louisville Swamp/Minnesota Valley SRA geocaching expedition. I also have a meetup group (Twin Cities Veterans Actively Loving Outdoor Recreation, or VALOR) and co-organize another (Twin Cities Adventure Seekers), so if I put this a week out, I can plan it as an outing with them, as well.

So again, if we get more people for tomorrow, I'll forget about postponing and doing the meetup thing; but if not, plan for a day of geocaching fun at the Minnesota Valley SRA on Saturday, the 1st!
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just walked outside and changed my min.. Shocked I would be bringing my 12 year old with because he loves this stuff. I'm going to try for sat or sun when the winds will be down. I have something else that I need to go to one the 1st, so you all have fun!
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still thinking 10am on the first? I've wanted to do Jabs Farm for a while. I'd need to be back in Glencoe in time for the pizza event on the 1st, but I'd be interested. Weather permitting, of course.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doing this - haven't gotten any takers yet with my meetup group, though. Now the forecast calls for 45 and partly cloudy, which will feel downright balmy after the next front comes through earlier next week.

Since Black Friday ended up being a handful of PNG caches just to keep my streak going, we should call this one Grey Saturday or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: