MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocacher in the legislature

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Geocacher in the legislature Reply with quote

As I type this the StarTribune has just projected Mike Freiberg, aka Sparkyfry, to be the winner of the election for Minnesota House District 45B.
Freiberg said that he is a strong supporter of the Geocacher-American community and that Geocacher rights will be a high priority for him in the upcoming legislative session.
Well, technically he didn't actually say that but he could be thinking that.
Congrats to Mike!
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he is planning on trying to pass a law that every Monday is Geocacher Holiday...and thus a paid day off for geocachers to continue their weekend caching.... Congrats Sparkyfly!
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see an Amendment on the ballot next time that encourages the hiding of Regular Sized Containers!!!
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minnesotans for More Puzzles SuperPAC congratulates Mr. Sparkyfry on his victory. Cool

I'm looking forward to hidden messages and links to geocheckers in Minnesota legislation. Laughing
PackaDad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
The Minnesotans for More Puzzles SuperPAC congratulates Mr. Sparkyfry on his victory. Cool

+1
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike introduces his first bill:

Quote:
Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2010, section 134.34, subdivision 4, is amended to read:

Subd. 4. Limitation. (a) For calendar year 2010 and later, a regional library basic system support grant shall4not be made to a4regional public library system for a participating city or county which decreases5the dollar amount provided for support for operating purposes of public library3service below the amount provided by it for the second, or third preceding year,1whichever is less. For purposes of this subdivision and subdivision 1, any7funds provided under section 473.757, subdivision 2, for extending library hours1of operation shall not be considered amounts provided by a city or county for9support for operating purposes3of public library service. This subdivision shall not2apply to participating cities or counties where the adjusted net tax capacity2of that city or county has decreased, if the dollar amount of the reduction in1support is not greater than the dollar amount by which support would be5decreased if the reduction in support were made in direct proportion to the6decrease in adjusted net tax capacity.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

Laughing

They'll start out easy like that, and after a year or so, BAM! Difficulty 5 music legislation. Surprised
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

Quote:
Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2010, section 134.34, subdivision 4, is amended to read:

Subd. 4. Limitation. (a) For calendar year 2010 and later, a regional library basic system support grant shall4not be made to a4regional public library system for a participating city or county which decreases5the dollar amount provided for support for operating purposes of public library3service below the amount provided by it for the second, or third preceding year,1whichever is less. For purposes of this subdivision and subdivision 1, any7funds provided under section 473.757, subdivision 2, for extending library hours1of operation shall not be considered amounts provided by a city or county for9support for operating purposes3of public library service. This subdivision shall not2apply to participating cities or counties where the adjusted net tax capacity2of that city or county has decreased, if the dollar amount of the reduction in1support is not greater than the dollar amount by which support would be5decreased if the reduction in support were made in direct proportion to the6decrease in adjusted net tax capacity.

There's a hidden puzzle in there, correct???
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocacher in the legislature Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
As I type this the StarTribune has just projected Mike Freiberg, aka Sparkyfry, to be the winner of the election for Minnesota House District 45B.
Freiberg said that he is a strong supporter of the Geocacher-American community and that Geocacher rights will be a high priority for him in the upcoming legislative session.
Well, technically he didn't actually say that but he could be thinking that.
Congrats to Mike!

Good luck Sparky! Talk about member involvement in the community!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Sparky, outed as a legislator. First bill should outlaw constituent rants during Weeknight Caching. Smile My mom was a public official . . . .
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
+1

I'm proud to say I'm a member of that PAC. Oops does that violate any disclosure laws?
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrat's Mike!
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember: SP challenge caches have to be related to geocaching, not to deciphering legislation.

Best wishes to you, sparkyfry.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a friend and fellow geocacher, I wish you congratulations and good luck. But as a member of the vast-right-wing-conspiracy, may all of your legislature time involve toil and troubles. Wink Wink

Hey Mike, in all seriousness, if you could do ONE thing for me while serving your time, draft legislation that would make the Metropolitan Council AN ELECTED body rather than the way it functions today. Un-elected officials should never have the kind of power and spending authority that they've been granted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: