MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MnGCA sponsored events

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should plan/host MnGCA sponsored events?
The board
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
A committee of members
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Individual members plan and request sponsorship
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Combination/other- please explain
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: MnGCA sponsored events Reply with quote

Non-binding poll. How would you like to see MnGCA events be organized?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3.

I think the current system works well - the board is organizing the BB events and other occasional events. A committee organizes the two large sponsored events (Spring & Fall).

I'd like to see more individual members planning and requesting sponsorship as necessary (this is, after all, a member-driven organization).
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain "sponsorship" please.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
All 3.

I think the current system works well - the board is organizing the BB events and other occasional events. A committee organizes the two large sponsored events (Spring & Fall).

I'd like to see more individual members planning and requesting sponsorship as necessary (this is, after all, a member-driven organization).

+1
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

I personally term it as just about anything that the organization can provide, be it materials, funds, prizes, etc.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

From the bylaws:
"Article IV – Events
Section 3: Association Sponsored Events

All Association Sponsored Events are to be Board approved. Functions may be brought forward by a Board approved committee. MnGCA members are encouraged to host events individually and may display the “Proud Member of the MnGCA” label. These events are the responsibility of the individual member."

Yes, we have a committee for the two big ones. My focus in asking the question was the last two sentences. What if instead of the board organizing all of the BB's and the pizza nights, individual members organized and hosted some of the events. A committee of the entire membership if you will. The board could still approve, as stated above, so it would be an Association Event. The MnGCA could provide the logbook and some bling, and try to have at least one board member present.

I would envision people making a request, and the board approving or denying based on number of events (space them out on the calender), location, and who is hosting (give every member who wants to host a chance prior to a multitude of hosting by a single member).
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above. The Million Shades event has been a MnGCA sponsored event as has the State Fair. Individuals organize those.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

From the bylaws:
"Article IV – Events
Section 3: Association Sponsored Events

All Association Sponsored Events are to be Board approved. Functions may be brought forward by a Board approved committee. MnGCA members are encouraged to host events individually and may display the “Proud Member of the MnGCA” label. These events are the responsibility of the individual member."

Yes, we have a committee for the two big ones. My focus in asking the question was the last two sentences. What if instead of the board organizing all of the BB's and the pizza nights, individual members organized and hosted some of the events. A committee of the entire membership if you will. The board could still approve, as stated above, so it would be an Association Event. The MnGCA could provide the logbook and some bling, and try to have at least one board member present.

For years the board has tried (required?) that at least one board member be present at the BB events. Depending on who's on the board, this can be a struggle at times. My $0.02: the board should still be setting up the BB events (they're in some ways a 'brand product' of the organization), but I think the board member present part could be relaxed some, especially if it meant getting the events out to more areas while at the same time relaxing the implied travel requirements of the board. I'm not suggesting to just have a BB without some planning - I'd still recommend that someone heavily involved that can positively represent the organization be in attendance, be it a longer-term member, previous board member, etc.

Quote:
I would envision people making a request, and the board approving or denying based on number of events (space them out on the calender), location, and who is hosting (give every member who wants to host a chance prior to a multitude of hosting by a single member).

I can support a lot of different ideas here, but there needs to be a process laid out with some guidelines. The previous board started this process I think but I'm under the impression that it was never got completed in their term. The first thing I ask is to simply lay out the guidelines up front, in the open.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can support a lot of different ideas here, but there needs to be a process laid out with some guidelines. The previous board started this process I think but I'm under the impression that it was never got completed in their term. The first thing I ask is to simply lay out the guidelines up front, in the open.

I appreciated the assistance with Halloween Hoopla in 2011. Thanks ...

Last edited by King Boreas on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
All 3.

+1
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One aspect of being the board member "hosting" an event is bringing along the coins/cachekinz, logo items, tshirts/hoodies, etc. that are sold at BB and pizza events. Those items wouldn't be available to those attending events if they couldn't be transported to each event. If someone was hosting say a pizza event out state and no one from the board or from the cities "heavily involved" in the organization attended then those items wouldn't be able to be sold. The reason this is important is A LOT (hundreds) of items are sold at those events around the year and especially outstate where people can see them in person. One reason they sell well is that people attending those events not familiar with the organization will get excited about attending and joining and will purchase on site and also those that may be members but aren't active and don't visit the website very often might not even know about them. Just one little but important aspect to consider.
Also, at outstate events there are drawings. Would someone "heavily involved" in the organization hosting an outstate pizza event have to request a donation or would items just be sent to them for the drawings? Or would drawings be eliminated for those events?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see some sort of electronic 'form' that a member can fill out to suggest a venue for an event. People want an event in their area, but don't offer any suggestions. Location, phone number of the location, facilities available (arcade, meeting room, etc) are all things that would be good to know for the board to help with planning! It is a great way for someone to get an event in their area, too.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those items wouldn't be available to those attending events if they couldn't be transported to each event.

This could be considered in the approval process. See my statement above about trying to have at least one board member present. If there were a request for an event where no board member could attend, alternative options could be explored from the requestor picking stuff up in advance, to a donation, to mailing a package, to denying the request.

Quote:
I would like to see some sort of electronic 'form' that a member can fill out to suggest a venue for an event. People want an event in their area, but don't offer any suggestions. Location, phone number of the location, facilities available (arcade, meeting room, etc) are all things that would be good to know for the board to help with planning! It is a great way for someone to get an event in their area, too.

Great idea! I love it! I would even go as far as the requestor takes charge as chair of the event, working with a board member as a resource. The chairman could do the reservations, set up, etc. Whenever possible at least one board member could swing in at the time of the event with all of the bling.

I would think events would need to be planned far enough out so someone on the board could mark their calender for a specific day. I don't foresee a trip to a different corner of the state each weekend being requested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: