MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Trail Caching Tip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Power Trail Caching Tip Reply with quote

Here is a tip for all you that plan on doing one of the power trails around the state or country. If you are leaving a vehicle on each end, make sure the owner of the vehicle at the end has his/her keys before you leave the start.

Ask me how I know this is a good tip.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Trail Caching Tip Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
Here is a tip for all you that plan on doing one of the power trails around the state or country. If you are leaving a vehicle on each end, make sure the owner of the vehicle at the end has his/her keys before you leave the start.

This sounds like a fun story (for everyone else)!
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone didn't have the keys, where would they likely be?
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
If someone didn't have the keys, where would they likely be?

I would guess in the other vehicle at the start. Owner of the end vehicle would have gotten a ride from the owner of the start vehicle back to the starting point.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Power Trail Caching Tip Reply with quote

A-body wrote:

I can see it now...

"Found cache...had a great time on the trail today. Gotta live by the motto Trade Even, Trade Up, or Don't Trade at All...in that case, took used golf ball, left car keys...enjoy!!!"
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That same logic applies to multi-day canoe treks. lol. Shocked
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty was correct, but it wasn't all bad. We were caching the Paul Bunyan/Heartland trail. We had 2 vehicles, and were leapfrogging anywhere from 7 to 12 miles. It just had to happen on the only stretch of trail that was not flat, south of Walker between the two trails. It was about 12 miles and hilly. I opted to use my Segway on that section, and did not have enough battery for the return trip. My partner who shall remain nameless, refused to ride his bike back, and I don't blame him. I did have another set of keys in the glovebox, so a call to AAA, and a one hour wait solved the problem. It was sunny where we were stuck, but pouring rain where we were headed next, so luckily me missed the shower, and did not get wet. Stuff happens.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
I opted to use my Segway on that section, and did not have enough battery for the return trip.

A little side-trip...

Interesting - I wasn't aware that a Segway was ever legal on a State Trail. Apparently they are if (and only if) you have a mobility disability:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/accessible_outdoors/policycfr35.html
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting link. I will have to do some more research. I was going by how I read the state law, which allows segways on Bike trails(disability or not). Maybe because it is managed by the DNR as opposed to a city or county, and is a multi-use trail, it is not considered a bike trail. The DNR policy does say "where the device would not normally be allowed under state law" . Like I said, I'll have to see which law is really law.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
Interesting link. I will have to do some more research. I was going by how I read the state law, which allows segways on Bike trails(disability or not). Maybe because it is managed by the DNR as opposed to a city or county, and is a multi-use trail, it is not considered a bike trail. The DNR policy does say "where the device would not normally be allowed under state law" . Like I said, I'll have to see which law is really law.

Report back when you figure it out if you would as I'm curious.

The reason I searched for it was I've seen State Park rangers give kids that have electric skateboard/scooter things a hard time because they're motorized. I don't know that the DNR has much of a distinction between gas powered and electric powered.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
A-body wrote:

Report back when you figure it out if you would as I'm curious.

The reason I searched for it was I've seen State Park rangers give kids that have electric skateboard/scooter things a hard time because they're motorized. I don't know that the DNR has much of a distinction between gas powered and electric powered.

Don't rangers and coppers have anything better to do? Don't taze me bro.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really late at night three wheeled motorcycles don't seem to be bothered by the rangers.
Maybe there are just time restraints. Twisted Evil
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone else is interested besides Pear Head, here is the answer I received from Segway of Minnesota:

Per the State statute you are a pedestrian... it should be that simple, and the State ruling should trump other rules.
That said, it is best to not ruffle any feathers... I'd keep on enjoying the trails and if asked present the state statute to them.

let it be known, my plan is not to use it in any state park trails, only the main bicycle power trails. I use it as a tool, just like some choose to use a bike. I use both, mostly the bike because of the limitations of the Segway, but I do enjoy riding it.
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to remember, if you're parking your vehicle at the far end....is your GPS. Right, Manfromwillow? Laughing
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffda320 wrote:
Another thing to remember, if you're parking your vehicle at the far end....is your GPS. Right, Manfromwillow? Laughing
it happens...at least i was with two other seasoned professionals that had all the caches loaded, 120 some without a gps makes for an interesting day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: