MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minnesota State Parks & Trails Geocaching Avian Adventur

View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Minnesota State Parks and Trails Geocaching Avian Adventure?
Great
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
SoSo
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Why did they bother
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 24

imyz1
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Minnesota State Parks & Trails Geocaching Avian Adventur Reply with quote

What is the geocaching community experience with this...mine isn't very positive...please see my experience with this years Adventure... http://coord.info/GC3JXME ...

What a waste of resources, they the Minnesota Department of Parks and Trails should've worked with us, the MnGCA requesting local volunteers to discover proper placement of geocaches, as their only cost would be shipping the cache container and cards to a local volunteer, not the additional spending for mileage and having inexperienced workers making cache placement, & innocent nearby geocaches being archived!

See...this log... http://coord.info/GL8GNPVR

Sincerely

Ken

P.S.-please contact me @ imyz1@yahoo.com ...as I may lose my rights for groundspeak for this one
aka imyz1

Last edited by imyz1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Minnesota State Parks & Trails Geocaching Avian Adve Reply with quote

imyz1 wrote:
What is the geocaching community experience with this...mine isn't very positive...please see my experience with this years Adventure...http://coord.info/GC3JXME...

What a waste of resources, they the Minnesota Department of Parks and Trails should've worked with us, the MnGCA requesting local volunteers to discover proper placement of geocaches, as their only cost would be shipping the cache container and cards to a local volunteer, not the additional spending for mileage and having inexperienced workers making cache placement, & innocent nearby geocaches being archived!

Last year's DNR Geocaching program had a rough start as well. Requesting a cache to be archived because the coordinates for one of the stages was wrong or missing though isn't the proper action. If you placed a cache but your coordinates were wrong would you want someone to recommend that your cache get archived? I know I wouldn't - I'd like to know about it and be given the time to correct the situation.

Remember that the DNR is like any newbie - it takes time for them to learn and get it right. In a lot of regards they have 3 hides - their first series (in which they did obtain help, like some newbies may do), and then a couple on their own. For the most part the park staff hiding these caches have only each hidden a few caches on their own, despite the DNR account 'owning' hundreds.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See...this log...http://coord.info/GL8GNPVR

Invalid number
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
See...this log...http://coord.info/GL8GNPVR

Invalid number

Works for me. Try this instead:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=33ab1689-7d5c-417c-a8dc-67f43a49bcb9
imyz1
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
See...this log... http://coord.info/GL8GNPVR

Invalid number

The link should work now as my habit of using ... caused an issue, which I now editted for!

Ken
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original worked for me...and so have the followups...
Wink

Sure, things could have been handled better in regards to the "existing" caches, but a lesson was learned and we just need to move on from here...what has been done has been done...what can be done from this point on really should be the focus...
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my only concern or question would be; why did the state (?) think it'd be a good idea to put a cache in the Gilbert, Mn. OHV park?
Is there more placed throughout the state in rec. areas like this??
Don't get me wrong, it's a traditional not a multi; (at least they used their heads there); the walk to it isn't bad, but I could see some newbies having trouble with this one.
We picked the perfect day and time to go after this, Sunday later afternoon, after pretty much everyone had left from the weekend.
All in all, the handful we've done up here have been nicely done, with spot on cords and fully stocked with cards.

Peace
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see two things:

Every state park I pass in the car has cache.

The caches are really easy. Almost to the point of questioning why one would even look for them.

--

I like the concept. I just wish the MnGCA would have helped out. Maybe clever and cool hides would have made the series a true hit.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Solo wrote:
I see two things:

The caches are really easy. Almost to the point of questioning why one would even look for them.

Using this logic we could eliminate half of the caches in the state, starting with street sign hides.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Guitar Solo wrote:
I see two things:

Using this logic we could eliminate half of the caches in the state, starting with street sign hides.

Just half?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Guitar Solo wrote:
I see two things:

Just half?

I'm trying to be polite. Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a couple of dozen of the Avian Adventure caches already and up to this point, I've really tried to hold off on the comments.

La Salle Lake SRA: Posted coordinates are 7 miles off and inadvertently listed as being at Itasca. Once you find the correct starting point, it's FAR from family friendly and requires a nearly two mile hike through what I consider 3 to 3.5 star terrain. Young ones should stay home.

Itasca SP: Once you figure out the funky language for the puzzle, it's a nice set of stages, assuming you've got no problem with the final being about 60 or more foot away from the derived coords.

Lake Bemidji SP: A very nice idea with extremely poor execution. Been camping here all week and everytime I drive by the final there are geocachers sitting there scratching their heads because they can't make heads or tails of the stupid clues. I mean really, in one of the stages, you're given an option of three birds to choose from. Question is, this bird makes fish its primary food source. Ahhhh, eagles, loons and ospreys ALL eat fish.

Lindberg SP: For eveyr park above that at least tried to put effort in their hide, Lindberg makes up for it as being the lamest SP hide I've evert found in all of the challenges since 2008. Really, tucked in a corner behind a building 100' from the parking lot, really, is that the best your park has to offer?

Zippel SP and GI SRA: The nicest caches I've done of the couple dozen completed.

More later.. I've vented enough for one day.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did some of these a couple weeks ago, but with different results:

Lake Bemidji - we had a nice walk and were able to figure out all the clues etc., but the results would not open the lock on the final. We had to have park staff unlock it for us.

Lindberg - was inside a building when we were there - was kind of an interesting find.

Garden Island - we did the alternate GI cache which was the same as last year, but still an interesting walk.

Zippel - the cache was missing - we went back the next day just to look again and nothing. Very frustrating, but I know the park can't help it if someone steals the cache.

Of the parks we done for this challenge, some of them have been better in the past, some have taken us to new areas of the park and some have not. I just try to remember that hiding caches for me isn't part of a park ranger's job and I'm glad that the DNR opened all these fabulous parks for caching. But they have set some high standards for themselves with previous hides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: