MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could I Start a local chapter of mngca

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would You Like To Have Local Chapters Of MnGCA
No
78%
 78%  [ 22 ]
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

lilbeardy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Could I Start a local chapter of mngca Reply with quote

Idea Question I was wondering if i could start a local chapter of mngca in douglas county, mn. It would be called Douglas County Geocaching Assn. DCGCA for short. It would just be a local chapter of west central mn. Email me at stude54@usfamily.net if you have questions.

Could I please have the President or high ranking members of mngca reply

Please Vote Yes if you want Local Chapters (mngca board has to agree)
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various "groups" all over the state of cachers getting together on a fairly regular basis.

If your purpose is to duplicate what the MNGCA does, but at a "local" level, I would say you should rethink that idea...

If your purpose is to get a regular group together to talk about caching...go caching...and have fun...go for it!!!
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Could I Start a local chapter of mngca Reply with quote

lilbeardy wrote:
Idea Question I was wondering if i could start a local chapter of mngca in douglas county, mn. It would be called Douglas County Geocaching Assn. DCGCA for short. It would just be a local chapter of west central mn. Email me at stude54@usfamily.net if you have questions.

We just held one of our largest statewide events in your area in May. I don't see that you attended. It would have been great for you to have attended the member meeting and see what the organization is about and what we're doing in your area. You might want to post a get together for local cachers in the forums area for central MN if a caching group is what you're after. Otherwise, contact cache owners in your area and see if they'd like to get together to cache.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Could I Start a local chapter of mngca Reply with quote

lilbeardy wrote:

The MnGCA isn't set up for chapters at this point. If it's something that the membership wanted then it could easily be discussed at some point (and has been discussed in the past).

EPMinnesota makes a couple of good points though - you haven't attended any meetings (and in fact you didn't even join as a member of the organization). I encourage you to stick around, join as a member, attend some meetings and get involved in the organization. If you still feel that chapters are best for the organization then I encourage you to approach them at that point.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did attend the spring event, and as a matter of fact, showed some great interest and enthusiasm for geocaching, with some very good hides in the area as well. We managed to hike to a few caches with him and his mother, and had a great time. Nice to see this young man showing some caching excitement for his neck of the woods, and asking questions.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing in the MnGCA bylaws that prevents any member of the MnGCA to start an new organization local or otherwise. That said there is also nothing in the MnGCA bylaws that allows for chapters within the organization.

As stated before, you need to define the purpose of your organization. If the goals or the DCGCA are the same as the MnGCA but only on a local level I believe that you will find that the MnGCA already provides for that when the solicit local support and participation when the issues are at the local level.

If the purpose is to get local DC cachers to attend social gatherings then start your own organization. As stated there are several others whether named or unnamed around the state that hold regular get togethers for one reason or another.

You don't need sponsorship from the MnGCA to support it. If you are looking for a local forum for local discussions and don't see a place here, ask the Web Daddy and he/she might be willing to start another topic area for your local area.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
He did attend the spring event, and as a matter of fact, showed some great interest and enthusiasm for geocaching, with some very good hides in the area as well. We managed to hike to a few caches with him and his mother, and had a great time. Nice to see this young man showing some caching excitement for his neck of the woods, and asking questions.

My apologies then as he hadn't logged an "attended" log on the event.

It is great to see the enthusiasm for sure! My suggestion is simply to get involved in the MnGCA a little more before undertaking something such as this.
lilbeardy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did attend the spring event but my log was on geocaching.com Wink
I am too young to be a member. but I am organizing this with woolychaps2 (I Think she is a user but she havent posted anything for a while). Maybe me and woolychaps2 could start a "group". Maybe Having local chapters would be too far fetched. Thanks for all the replies.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a "group" sounds a lot more fun than a "chapter" for sure. "Chapter" means bylaws, meetings and other yawnfests. Start small - get some local cachers together using this great forum. In old threads there are lots of great examples of how to do about any kind of activity related to caching you'd want. Great chance to share your energy and see if you can create the kinds of caching experiences that would be the most fun for you.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
"Chapter" means bylaws, meetings and other yawnfests.

Laughing My first laugh of the morning. Thanks.
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about start with a Breakfast Buddies event and go from there? I know there's a lot of cachers in the Alex area, but how many are all that active? I spend a lot of time up there and I would show up if you hosted an event (and I was in the area at the time). You could start building your group from the attendees.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilbeardy wrote:
I did attend the spring event but my log was on geocaching.com Wink
I am too young to be a member. but I am organizing this with woolychaps2 (I Think she is a user but she havent posted anything for a while). Maybe me and woolychaps2 could start a "group". Maybe Having local chapters would be too far fetched. Thanks for all the replies.

There is no "attended" log for you on the event cache page on gc.com. MnGCA.org is not a cache listing service so you wouldn't have been able to post an "attend" on our website. Someone had mentioned you might have accidently posted a "will attend" but I don't see one of those there either. You might want to go back and post that you did attend the event.

Very Happy
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only did he attend but his cache submitted for the event won him a prize. Remember?
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
Not only did he attend but his cache submitted for the event won him a prize. Remember?

I wasn't able to attend so i didn't have the pleasure of meeting him.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:

His was the birdhouse, I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: