MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rochester Hownowners' Association upset with geocachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky King 36 wrote:
To me, it seems like the ship has largely sailed on this issue. Years ago, caching had out-in-the-woods outdoorsmanship as its center of gravity. Caches were hidden, and found, by outdoor enthusiasts. But the last four years or so have brought the advent of urban caching, really a very different sport than "old school" caching.

Used to be the challenge of caching was getting to the GZ. The journey was the important part and the log was really just an incentive, an excuse to take the journey. It used to be about luring people into interesting outdoor experiences in places they may never have otherwise gone.

Now the central challenge of caching has become "how do I hide a very small container in plain sight? How do I make a container so small, and so deceptively camoed, that I can hide it from the public? How can I slip a tiny cache into high-muggle urban public areas, or quasi-private land (like parking lots)? How can I make them so small and deceptive that not even the private landowner knows I hid a cache on their property? I dare say that today, most caches are hidden on private property and most are not hidden with owner permission.

It has evolved into a different game. I'm not sure there's much we can do to turn this around.

There is a significant difference between EASEMENT and RIGHT OF WAY. It's important to know the difference. But neither one guarantees that you can enter the tract without trespassing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: