MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another new GC.com map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Another new GC.com map Reply with quote

GC.com has another new map and itís crap. It has a hand curser that when you try to click on a cache icon to see the info, it blows up the map half the time. Evil or Very Mad This is VERY frustrating. There are also less map options.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Another new GC.com map Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
GC.com has another new map and itís crap. It has a hand curser that when you try to click on a cache icon to see the info, it blows up the map half the time. Evil or Very Mad This is VERY frustrating. There are also less map options.

I see they added the ability to switch between the google map server and the leaflet(OSM) map server

Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WSD, That helps.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if I use Google or Leaflet - neither one is showing any caches if I look at the general map, and I haven't monkeyed with any of the settings to turn things I can see off or on. It does show me what caches were returned with a PQ, but I sometimes like to see if there's any nearby caches at the edges of my PQ (I hate to go to a park and find a cache, then find out I missed one 0.10 miles away in the same park because it was just outside my PQ radius).
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind - they finally showed up. "No patience has he. Train him as a Jedi I cannot."
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another new GC.com map Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:

I feel your pain - it's like you have to have the hand positioned on just the right 2-3 pixels to get it to open the pop-up box with the cache details. I love groundspeak and think they do a great service to the geocaching community, but sometimes when they "improve" things they take one step forward and three steps back.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally google maps "ALMOST" once again work for me! My premium membership renewal was and still is under consideration. Very Happy
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang it. Now I lost bing aerial maps which was way better than google up in my neck of the woods. come on someone, write a script.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
dang it. Now I lost bing aerial maps which was way better than google up in my neck of the woods. come on someone, write a script.

Aha they are there. Had the left side collapsed.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one question on Google Maps - why do we, here in the Twin Cities, need to know 94 and 394 is US Route 12 in Idaho?
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Just one question on Google Maps - why do we, here in the Twin Cities, need to know 94 and 394 is US Route 12 in Idaho?

It technically stays US 12 the whole way and is only 394 for a 9 or 10 mile stretch, from 494 to the end at 3rd. It is quirky and I think goes back to figuring out the pissing contests between the feds and states, and probably within the federal when it comes to US highways vs Interstates. Colorado has a similar thing with I 70 and US 6 overlapping in places. It is strange.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:

Shocked What the...? I never noticed that before.. Looks like a bug, other people have reported it with other US routes around the country as well: http://code.google.com/p/google-mapmaker/issues/detail?id=2695

Even west of 494 when route 12 is no longer an interstate, it's still labeled as "Route 12 in Idaho", which seems to make no sense.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize the map labeling Minneapolis as Idaho... I sort of blame myself then, it is probably just a subtle reminder from Google that I still need to fill in Idaho. Go west young man... go west.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:

I'm using the Extra Map Layers script:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125949

To see these maps, I do need to switch over to the Leaflet Maps option. I edited a couple of other mapping options into mine when I first installed it, and don't remember what I changed, so if something is missing, let me know and I'll see if it is in mine and show you how to add it.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, tell me if I'm doing something wrong. If I call up a cache page, any page, there are links to about 8 different map pages. Google, bing, open street, etc. I always click on the first one, geocaching.com map, and all the other caches in the area show up. If I click on any of the other maps, only the one cache shows up.

Is this what everyone else sees, or I am I doing something wrong. Google maps used to do the same, but doesn't anymore, but is there a setting to change to allow it to do that again. I very seldom look at any other map other than the top one on the list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: