MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mendota Heights - June 2nd or summer youth program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Mendota Heights - June 2nd or summer youth program Reply with quote

The Board received the following request:
Quote:
Hello,
We will hold our community parks celebration on Saturday June 2 and would love to have your organization represented with a table and info on Geocashing so we can get info out to people in our community.

We also have a summer youth program we would love to have someone volunteer to come out and teach the kids about GPS and maybe do a little search with them. (we only have one hand held GPS and no one to run it anymore!)

Let me know if both or either one of these activities is something your group would be a part of as this is getting popular and our celebration is all about what you can do in our parks! Our event is all free and if no rain we will have about 1500 people in 3 hours as it only goes from 11 to 2. I look forward to hearing from you.

Teresa Gangelhoff
City of Mendota Heights
Parks and Recreation
651-255-1354
teresag (at) mendota-heights (dot) com
MamaDuck-24
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will contact her next week and get the specifics. I am available for at least part of the day.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is more info about the summer youth program:

Quote:
Thank you so much for getting back to me. It would be the week of June 18, 19, 20 or 22 is our Trails and tails week so any one of those days that week and we also have another week where we are doing a pirate theme and want to hide a “treasure” for the pirates to find.

So the first week of June 18 is the main one we wanted to teach GPS and then as an extra have someone come in for pirates week that would be awesome! What we do is have a younger group in the a.m. 4 to 7 year olds from 9:30 to 11:30 and 7 to 10 year olds from 12:30 – 4. What I was thinking is if someone could come about 11 am and do the first class for at least ½ hour then go grab some lunch and come back and do the second group right away at 12:30 and they only need to stay for ½ hour or so to demo and take them out to try it. I can purchase something for our “treasure” if the person from your organization wants to first hide it for the kids then explain how it works then take them out to find it? We do have a compass for each child to use and one hand held gps for the leader.

What we would like for our park celebration is to have your group have a table with information and talk about what your group does and how to get into Geocaching or where they can find more info about it.

For the June date and July dates the person could pick any one of those 4 days of that week to come as they are flexible we just are not available on Thursdays as they go on a trip.

Let me know if anything works out we would love and appreciate your assistance.
MamaDuck-24
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm set to work the June 2 Event. It's from 11-2 at Mendakota Park. (On Dodd Rd, just south of Hwy 110)

I need to bring my own table and tent. They will provide chairs. They are expecting 1,500 people.

It sure would be nice if I could get a couple more people to help me out. PapaDuck is working, so is unavailable.

Please?????
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:
I'm set to work the June 2 Event. It's from 11-2 at Mendakota Park. (On Dodd Rd, just south of Hwy 110)

I need to bring my own table and tent. They will provide chairs. They are expecting 1,500 people.

It sure would be nice if I could get a couple more people to help me out. PapaDuck is working, so is unavailable.

Please?????

What day of the week is that?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June 2nd is a Saturday, although I'm slightly confused by the dates in the first and third posts of this thread (since they don't match)...
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One is for the park celebration (sitting at a table) and the other has more details about the youth program (teaching more about geocaching).
MamaDuck-24
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
June 2nd is a Saturday, although I'm slightly confused by the dates in the first and third posts of this thread (since they don't match)...

Teresa, the contact at Mendota Hts Parks, was a little vague in her request. I am in contact with her. I have commited to the Saturday, June 2nd event. So far it's just me. I'm hoping someone, anyone, will join me for what ever time they are able to commit. 10:45 - 2pm. Simply a table set up with information to talk with passer-bys in the park that day for the Field Day. She did want demonstration GPSs, but with only 1 person at the table, that wouldn't be feasible. Even 2 people wouldn't be able to handle it.

The Park is also having a week long summer day camp. The week of June 11th. (Except June 14) She was hoping for Volunteers for each day (or whatever days someone would be able to be there) from about 11am - 2. Explaining geocaching and taking the kids on a hunt.

I told Teresa that at this point no one had volunteered for the Summer Camp, but I would put the plea out.

For June 2nd, I will have flyers, some information I have put together, park map with cache location.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Teresa, the contact at Mendota Hts Parks, was a little vague in her request. I am in contact with her. I have commited to the Saturday, June 2nd event. So far it's just me. I'm hoping someone, anyone, will join me for what ever time they are able to commit. 10:45 - 2pm. Simply a table set up with information to talk with passer-bys in the park that day for the Field Day. She did want demonstration GPSs, but with only 1 person at the table, that wouldn't be feasible. Even 2 people wouldn't be able to handle it.

The Park is also having a week long summer day camp. The week of June 11th. (Except June 14) She was hoping for Volunteers for each day (or whatever days someone would be able to be there) from about 11am - 2. Explaining geocaching and taking the kids on a hunt.

I told Teresa that at this point no one had volunteered for the Summer Camp, but I would put the plea out.

For June 2nd, I will have flyers, some information I have put together, park map with cache location.

I forgot, The_Child's graduation party is that day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: