MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

at what point?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

At what price would you say "enough is enough" and attempt to reduce your weekly driving?
I already have, gas prices are too high.
31%
 31%  [ 12 ]
$2 a gallon
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
$2.50 a gallon
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
$3 a gallon
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
$5 a gallon
34%
 34%  [ 13 ]
I have more money than Oprah, I couldn't care less.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 38

hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: at what point? Reply with quote

at what point would you adjust your driving habits to conserve your weekly expenditure for gasoline?
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't cut down on my driving, but I have started driving the posted speed limits instead of my normal 5 to 20 mph over. I'm even driving 45 on 35E through St. Paul, and nobody does that!!! The Millenium Falcon ('98 Chevy Cavalier) gets pretty good mileage, and with 20 miles each way to and from work plus caching, I normally only have to gas up once a week--I usually try to do that on either Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday and avoid the weekend price gouging. And yes, it is price gouging--I try to follow the price of oil in the paper, and even if it goes down on Thursday, the price at the pump still goes up.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't gas in Europe something like $2.00 a liter? I think the cars will get smaller as soon as the gas bill gets higher. I filled up today for $1.73 a gallon, $16.00 from empty to full for me. Seems reasonable but I still try to combine tasks now instead of driving all over.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled up today for $3.22 per gallon, just under $50.00
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's $0.50 cheaper than here in SoCal Sad
starnsun
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We in Colorado are hovering around $2.88/ gal for the cheap stuff!
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny. When this poll was started, $2/gallon wasn't even in the picture!! At that time, we thought, "yeah, $2/gallon...riiiiiiiiiiight...never happen".
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffda320 wrote:
That's funny. When this poll was started, $2/gallon wasn't even in the picture!! At that time, we thought, "yeah, $2/gallon...riiiiiiiiiiight...never happen".

Which...ironically...is the same now...$2 isn't even in the picture...and we think "yeah, $2/gallon...right...never happen"...
Laughing Wink Laughing
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is in the shop and I've had a loaner all week. And it's a hybrid! I've actually done the opposite of what the title of this thread suggests because I'm getting such great gas mileage. Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
My car is in the shop and I've had a loaner all week. And it's a hybrid! I've actually done the opposite of what the title of this thread suggests because I'm getting such great gas mileage. Smile

Be sure and report your TOTAL repair bills. It's already been proven that hybrids don't really reduce your overall expense from purchase through the life of the vehicle. I agree it might help you feel better. But for your pocket book and for the environment? It's doing nothing. Smile
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
sparkyfry wrote:

Be sure and report your TOTAL repair bills. It's already been proven that hybrids don't really reduce your overall expense from purchase through the life of the vehicle. I agree it might help you feel better. But for your pocket book and for the environment? It's doing nothing. Smile

No, his loaner's a hybrid.. It sounds like the car sparkyfry owns is a conventional gas-guzzler...!? Shocked

I'm surprised they gave you a loaner hybrid, since I drive a hybrid and I didn't get one. Bart, maybe you can convince my wife that hybrids aren't worth the expense... Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:
sparkyfry wrote:

No, his loaner's a hybrid.. It sounds like the car sparkyfry owns is a conventional gas-guzzler...!? Shocked

I'm surprised they gave you a loaner hybrid, since I drive a hybrid and I didn't get one. Bart, maybe you can convince my wife that hybrids aren't worth the expense... Wink

They're useless on two fronts.. at least the hybrids we have so far. Any savings you think you're getting on fuel is eaten up by your original purchase price, higher priced repairs, and because hybrids generally do not live nearly as long as conventional cars. Also, in terms of the environment, the lithium mining and disposal does more destruction to the environment than CO and CO2 will ever do.

I believe that eventually there will be worthwhile hybrid and electric cars. Just not right now. Right now, they're "feel good" cars for those that want to give the pretense that their minding the environment.

But you're as smart or smarter than anyone here, you know all of this already. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: