MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taconite - Toivo TwoFeathers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Taconite - Toivo TwoFeathers Reply with quote

We lost one of our own last week. Toivo TwoFeathers, also known as Taconite, passed away as the result of a tragic accident. He was born and raised in the Taconite/Marble area. Later he moved out of state for work, but eventually settled back to the area he loved the most. Bill was the city of Taconite's biggest fan. He was an advocate for the community, environment, the mining industry, as well as an advocate for safety and well being of others. Bill took great pride in knowing that he brought so many of us to the community to explore, learn about the city, and even participate in community events. He was a good man, who loved all things geocaching, and loved his "Fan Club," as he called us. Bill was right, we were, and still are, his Fan Club. Back in the day, a few of us would be eager for his next cache placement, so that we could slip in and get a FTF. He really made the sport a lot of fun for everyone. For someone with serious mobility issues, Bill went above and beyond in placing traditional and multicaches that were rewarding and challenging. He would go out of his way to help anyone with anything. Bill always told me that he knew it all, yet, when I would toss something new his way, he was enthralled with it and studied it until he mastered it. He had a zest for knowledge and an appreciation for life. Bill was intrigued by people and loved to get to know the person behind the cache handle. He appreciated the geocachers who had their kids off the couch and exploring new areas. He was intrigued by cachers who would come to the area, scale iron ore dumps, and find all of his cache hides. Sometimes Tac would pride himself on ticking off and cursing out the cache approvers. In the end, he knew that job was challenging and a test of patience. He told me that anyone who puts up with him has to be a patient person. I readily agreed. Geocaching brought Bill a new zest for life and great joy. He paid it forward, and brought that zest and joy to others. Bill shared with me that he thought that the quality of life is more important than the quantity. He said that long ago he decided that he would share the interesting things about his life and knowledge, so that he could continue to be helpful and make a difference. Indeed he did. Rest well, Tac, and greet our dear friend Ole.

~nt
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful tribute. I didn't know Bill but feel as though I do now. My most sincere condolences to all his caching friends and family.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Met Bill a couple of times while caching in the area. His caches were always fun. He will be missed.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved his profile picture so much I saved it to my iPad and made it my wallpaper. I was very sad to hear this news. My wife's family was from Marble and attended the same Methodist church where her grandfather used to ring the tower bell to call everyone to service.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: