MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maple Grove Days (Saturday, July 14)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Maple Grove Days (Saturday, July 14) Reply with quote

The Board received the following request for volunteers:

Quote:
Hello,
I am a Committee Chair for the Maple Grove Community Organization, and I am organizing an Intro to Geocaching event for Maple Grove Days. I started the event in 2008 to introduce people in the community to geocaching, and it has been very successful for the last three years, but I am looking to get experience geocachers involved as volunteers. I have a set of 20 temporary caches that I set up for the event on a portion of land owned by Three Rivers Park District in Maple Grove. This year, the event will take place on Saturday, July 14, and there will be three sessions: 9:00-10:30, 10:30 12:00, and 12:0-1:30. At the beginning of the event, there is a brief introduction to geocaching, including caching etiquette, and then the participants go out to find several of the temporary caches with a volunteer. I have a set of maps and cache descriptions for each group. In addition, I am able to provide 7 GPS units for participants to use during the event that have the cache locations pre-programmed. Each year, the local REI store sends an employee out to the event to help and I have been able to get several volunteers from the local high school to help, but I am in need of more experienced volunteers to lead groups since the number of participants grows each year. Please let me know if your organization would be interested in volunteering or advertising this as a volunteer opportunity to your members. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Katie Hazen

Ms. Hazen can be contacted at: haze0063 [at] umn [dot] edu

As I live in Maple Grove I am also volunteering, but haven't committed to a time yet.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this up as a reminder. I know it is more than 2 months away, but it will be the middle of the summer and I don't want everyone to be out of town and miss it!
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another bump as this is coming up in little over a month.
sfrp
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let me know if you are interested in volunteering for this event (it is this Saturday and I could really use the help!).

Katie
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian and I still intend to help. What time should we be there?
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thank you to WestSideDaddy and WestSideDrew who came out to lead some groups through the hot and humid woods. We had quite a few interested people out on such a hot day. We also promoted the Tech Event and wore our fancy orange shirts!
mnfishnutz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stopped by and followed a couple groups around. More to provide an illustration for what "muggles" look like than anything else! Razz
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Teri,

Thank you for coming out to help with the Maple Grove Days Geocaching event. I greatly appreciate your efforts to organize a group of volunteers from the Minnesota Geocaching Association. Please pass my thanks on to the other MnGCA members that volunteered. The event was a great success thanks to the wonderful volunteers. We had just over 70 participants throughout the day and the majority seemed to enjoy learning about Geocaching. I hope some people from my event were able to make it out to the MnGCA Tech Event a few weekends ago. It sounded like a great event and I would have loved to come, but I was camping in Northern Minnesota. I'm sure I will be able to make it out to some of the events in the future. Thanks again!

Katie Hazen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: